Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Grand Am GT blew the Headgasket a week ago so I have been busy Car shopping. I came across this MINT 2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS. It drives nice and everything seemed to work perfect! The Check Engine light is on but the Sales man claimed it was because Someone forgot to tighten the gas cap all the way.

Im just wondering if there is any major problems with these cars (Such as Engine problems, Electrical, Cosmetic etc..). So far i have heard about the Airbag issues and the Brake light. Anyone else know of any issues that I should know about Please let me know! Also, How do you guys like your cars?

2007 Sonata GLS Fully Loaded!

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
The Sonata doesn't have any major issues, and no more issues than any comparable car on the market.

But you don't want to trust a used car salesman too much. If the Check Engine light is on, you want to buy a car with it off.

Unless this is a Hyundai dealership that will honor the warranty, if there is any. What mileage is the odometer showing?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (mamamia @ Aug 22 2010, 09:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351172
The Sonata doesn't have any major issues, and no more issues than any comparable car on the market.

But you don't want to trust a used car salesman too much. If the Check Engine light is on, you want to buy a car with it off.

Unless this is a Hyundai dealership that will honor the warranty, if there is any. What mileage is the odometer showing?
Its showing 70,000 KMS. Well before the Canadian 100,000KM 5 Year Warranty. So anything that could be "Wrong" will be fixed i'm assuming?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
BEFORE ANY FURTHER SALES TALKING :

Drive the car to service dept WITH the sales fella, and ask them to install the GDS, and scan the PCM and all the other modules (just like they do with new PDI print they have to attach to ticket with new car prep) "there is some 130+ monitored items that could set fault code and illuminate the MIL".................... they aint gonna like an educated customer..

Tell me how it works out, the look on the fellas face, and the service fellas attitude....

The pic is the screen shot they supposed to attach to ticket when they do a PDI... They can do same fault code search on your car in question,,,, accept no less...

Print the pic and take it an and show them what you want to see..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ Aug 22 2010, 07:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351172
But you don't want to trust a used car salesman too much.
I would go a step further and say you don't want to trust ANY car salesman too much. I hate the car buying process. It's the major reason I hang on to my vehicles for as long as I can.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Aug 22 2010, 11:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351211
I would go a step further and say you don't want to trust ANY car salesman too much. I hate the car buying process. It's the major reason I hang on to my vehicles for as long as I can.
I would be still holding on to my Grand Am if it wasnt such a POS. I Prefer buying thing private thats for sure! I will get the codes scanned forsure and make sure it is a Gas cap and not something major! Afterall, It is still under warranty.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
For a professional car dealer to try sell a used car with the Check Engine light on is just plain stupid.

Or suspicious.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ Aug 22 2010, 11:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351242
For a professional car dealer to try sell a used car with the Check Engine light on is just plain stupid.

Or suspicious.
Like the time I test drove a Saturn L-Series for the first time. The S-Series was way too small for me and in general I was quite impressed with the L-Series. After the test drive, I told the salesperson that there was a problem with the steering, it felt a little "crunchy" . At first he denied that there was any problem, then the salesman had the balls to say, with a straight face, "Buy the car and we'll fix the problem". I told them "Fix the problem, THEN I'll buy the car". About a week later the dealership called to tell me that they had replace the steering rack and was I still interested. By that time I had found another L-Series, without the "crunchy" steering, at another sales lot.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (GLSonata @ Aug 22 2010, 08:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351166
The Check Engine light is on but the Sales man claimed it was because Someone forgot to tighten the gas cap all the way.
Don't pick on the guy so much!!

I think an answer like this one shows some quick thinking and maybe some fancy footwork too. I might have said the hot weather was throwing the error code.

Running the machine diagnostic print outs is a good idea too, as suggested. BUT, I'm willing to bet the test equipment will be down and/or the mechanic will be permanently out to lunch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
QUOTE (GLSonata @ Aug 22 2010, 08:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351166
I came across this MINT 2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS. It drives nice and everything seemed to work perfect! The Check Engine light is on but the Sales man claimed it was because Someone forgot to tighten the gas cap all the way.

Im just wondering if there is any major problems with these cars (Such as Engine problems, Electrical, Cosmetic etc..). So far i have heard about the Airbag issues and the Brake light. Anyone else know of any issues that I should know about Please let me know! Also, How do you guys like your cars?

2007 Sonata GLS Fully Loaded!
Don't walk away from this car _RUN!!

As the owner of a 2006 Hyundai GLS V6, this has been the worst car I have purchased, since 1985.

The fact that the Malfunction Indicator Light is on, even while they are trying to sell it to you should tell you something about both the car and the dealer. In my State, North Carolina, the car you are looking at could not even pass the yearly inspection with that light on.

·
Banned
335 Posts
QUOTE (Mike.Lloyd @ Aug 25 2010, 07:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351842

As the owner of a 2006 Hyundai GLS V6, this has been the worst car I have purchased, since 1985.
Isn't that funny Mike, as the 2006 Sonata has been the best Car I have ever owned. :banana: Most reliable, most powerful, most comfortable and most fun to drive. :trophy: Still get compliments 5 years later. It even looks better than it did 5 years ago. Also it is in PERFECT condition. I mean nothing is wrong. Something is wrong! :innocent:

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
QUOTE (Mike.Lloyd @ Aug 25 2010, 07:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351842

We understand you have some issues with your car, Mike. But your repeated attempts to blow off your steam here, and preach about this terrible car called Sonata --- is not gonna make the Sonata a bad choice for the average person looking for a decent, inexpensive car.....

You start reminding me of some of those posters on those product review boards. No matter how superb a certain product is, and how many posters are posting rave reviews of it -- THERE WILL ALWAYS BE ONE TO CLAIM THE PRODUCT IS A POS.

The educated shopper learns to IGNORE that one poster.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ Aug 25 2010, 06:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351972
We understand you have some issues with your car, Mike. But your repeated attempts to blow off your steam here, and preach about this terrible car called Sonata --- is not gonna make the Sonata a bad choice for the average person looking for a decent, inexpensive car.....

You start reminding me of some of those posters on those product review boards. No matter how superb a certain product is, and how many posters are posting rave reviews of it -- THERE WILL ALWAYS BE ONE TO CLAIM THE PRODUCT IS A POS.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for participating Mike. Your input is always welcome here.

·
Registered
541 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ Aug 25 2010, 05:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351972

Just to give an independent review about the car. My car has about 38k miles, bought it brand new back in 09/06.

Till now following work has been done.

1. Driver's power seat button replaced.
2. Driver door's power lock actuator replaced.
3. Glove box shock replaced.

All work was done under warranty and I personally think it speaks a lot about this car. Most people would not even have these issues if they didn't have the power seat, most cars don't in this range. Door actuator is normal wear to me. Glovebox shock thing was replaced just cos its in warranty and then again many cars do not even have it.

I rate this car excellent and yes I have a Mercedes too. Talking about the cost of ownership and the value, I do not think any car can beat this car and yeah I still get 32 mpg on freeways.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts