Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about getting a 2012 sonata hybrid with 46k. itsa cpo; so i guess the battery is 1o years or 100k.I hope so. what do other owners think of the hybrid sonata.?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I come from a turbo 2012 model and got myself a 2011 hybrid.

It's no driver car but if you apply the latest TSB the car will feel like a regular gasoline Sonata. The regenerative braking, and shifting is smoothed out and provides a better overall MPG rating. The brisk acceleration at slow speeds and during highway I come to expect from the turbo can be felt on the hybrid with the new TSB. Expect no miracle but the tune is they provide is pretty impressive compared to the original one.

The best mileage is achieved when you drive like a normal human being. I drive spirited and can only achieve on average of 30 - 32 MPG (Just check my fuelly). Forget the birds and the trees. If you plan on saving gas and come from a car that uses a lot of fuel then you will enjoy getting a hybrid. I am now saving an average of $120 per month with the hybrid on fuel alone because I travel about 400 -500 miles per week.

Other than fuel economy you can expect the same thing's you come to expect from the SE+ models of the Sonata. A smooth ride, comfortable seats and features, with a nice and spacious cabin. The battery pack does take up trunk space so make sure you are comfortable with it compared to a regular Sonata. Tire's are 17's however I haven't been able to find run flats for the tire size which is something I did have in my 2012 turbo with 18's.

P.S Forget the battery pack. By the time that thing starts to go bad you will be looking into getting another car. If you plan on keeping the car past it's life expectancy then you will pay the cost just like any car. Even with a bad battery pack the worst case scenario is running on the ICE constantly meaning the car won't leave you stranded like a traditional plugin only car. You will just start losing money sitting in traffic with the ICE running instead of running off the battery pack. Just my 2 cents on the matter even when tough times happen and you cannot afford such repairs at the time.

Please test drive and beat it up before any purchase. If you are comfortable with the ride then the rest is up to you.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Even with a bad battery pack the worst case scenario is running on the ICE constantly meaning the car won't leave you stranded like a traditional plugin only car. You will just start losing money sitting in traffic with the ICE running instead of running off the battery pack. Just my 2 cents on the matter even when tough times happen and you cannot afford such repairs at the time.

Please test drive and beat it up before any purchase. If you are comfortable with the ride then the rest is up to you.
I read somewhere that the electric motor is the main motor assisted by the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE). I don't think it's possible to operate the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid (HSH) without a good hv battery pack.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts