Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am looking into buying a 2006 Santa Fe. It is a 2.7 FWD and has just over 63k miles. They are currently asking $8990. They have said that they will replace the tires for me since they are very low on tread. I was wondering if this was a reasonable price (the KBB value is coming in somewhere around $8500. I was also wondering what some known issues to watch out for may be. Thank you for any feedback!

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Hello,
I am looking into buying a 2006 Santa Fe. It is a 2.7 FWD and has just over 63k miles. They are currently asking $8990. They have said that they will replace the tires for me since they are very low on tread. I was wondering if this was a reasonable price (the KBB value is coming in somewhere around $8500. I was also wondering what some known issues to watch out for may be. Thank you for any feedback!
For sure, make sure the timing belt has been changed before you buy it. It is due at 60k miles and is a $400 to $500 bill.

·
Registered
66 Posts
when you get to see the car, turn the ignition key to on, but do not start the car. you want to make sure the check engine light is there. i know of cases the seller removes the light bulb. better to scan it just to make sure there are not codes or pending codes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I did take a look and the belt has not been done. The dealership quoted me at $760 or so to get that done. I asked the salesman if he was willing to drop the price in order to make room for that repair. He brought in one of the service guys and he said that they don't actually need to be done untill around 100k. I called another Hyundai dealership and they said they do recommend getting it done at 60k. Is the 100k figure completely made up or is the Hyundai dealership just covering their asses?

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Thanks for the help. I did take a look and the belt has not been done. The dealership quoted me at $760 or so to get that done. I asked the salesman if he was willing to drop the price in order to make room for that repair. He brought in one of the service guys and he said that they don't actually need to be done untill around 100k. I called another Hyundai dealership and they said they do recommend getting it done at 60k. Is the 100k figure completely made up or is the Hyundai dealership just covering their asses?
It's entirely possible to make it to 100k with the belt breaking. But if it does, the engine is an interference engine- meaning that you just ruined it and that is well over half the value of your car.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I agree with johnaauld. I went almost 110k with my timing belt and it was a gamble. Depends on how willing you are to take the chance. 60k is the recommended interval for the 2.7 however the timing belt for that engine is relatively beefy. Mine started showing some very minor cracking by the belt grooves but was still in relatively good condition when I replaced mine. When you do decide to get it done go with the OEM which is a Gates. That is the best in my opinion and not worth cheaping out on such an important component especially if you want to run it beyond the recommended change interval.

·
Registered
115 Posts
A good friend of mine used to be high up in Gates belt company in Korea. He said their inhouse test required the equivalent of 300,000 miles before breakage for Hyundai timing belts. I think he said they had to warranty some Hyundai belts for 100,000 for a specific fleet customer.

I'd still change it at 60K.

·
Registered
98 Posts
make sure you get a carfax as well. I had an 05 2.7 gls and it was a good vehicle. we bought it used with 25,xxxx miles. as it got older it started getting small problems. I replaced the timing belt at 63,xxx. then the idle started messing up, needed some sensors. the ac started acting up, had to replace pwr lock switch. input/output sensors on trans needed replaced. we were out looking at newer cars to trade the santa fe in on and the ac/heater blower motor started grinding/squealing. it was a good vehicle like I said but im glad we got rid of it when we did. I was tired of always having to fix something. just my 2cents. good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts