Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week one night going home from work, was driving behind a A**hole, he finally pull to the side so i can pass, so i manually drop to first then gas the car kicked and the ESC light came on and the car wouldn't increase speed, tired hitting the esc off switch nothing happened, switch the car off and back on and it was back to normal.
any idea as to what happen or did i break something? has anybody experience this

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (craigbrooks @ Oct 26 2010, 05:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366521
Happened to me on Labor day. Throttle position sensor. $180.00 installed. The code will be stored.
gotcha, thing is mine is still normal drives ok no check lights nothing, but im guessing one day i will have to change that sensor

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Mine drove fine after a shut off/on. I have an extended warranty that pays for this stuff so I took it in. Actually I think they replaced my throttle assembly. If I'm not mistaken that's where the position sensor is.

Go to AutoZone and have them pull the code.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
NOTE -- He got an '09 4cyl ....... I just returned 1 today.

Came in with a slew of codes, most all throttle related, 1 manifold pressure and other for PCM ROM problem..

Tech assist had me follow TSB for throttle plate clean (1 code),, clean ground at left strut tower (remove bolt, grind paint to bare metal, grind coating off bolt flange to ground lug surface, coat with anti-sieze to prevent rust)... reset adaptive for engine and transmission, and drive numerous cycles from cold start.. I drove initial 10 mile on surface streets, porter took 3 drives around our designated test drive route, and I drove home last night and back this morning some 80 mile round trip.. no MIL illuminate, and no DTC when scan this morning... returned to customer today.

I have the screen shots, but they at work on my PC in my work area of the codes..

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Reading the OP message I'd guess his car simply didn't appreciate shifting to FIRST gear while trying to pass another car, at probably a speed of what, 50 mph? Or more?.............. I wouldn't think my babe would love me doing it to her either.

Since all went back to normal the next day (babe is forgiving), why assume any problem with the Throttle position sensor, or any other faulty part?

·
Registered
356 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Oct 26 2010, 06:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366553
...... and drive numerous cycles from cold start.. I drove initial 10 mile on surface streets, porter took 3 drives around our designated test drive route, and I drove home last night and back this morning some 80 mile round trip.. no MIL illuminate, and no DTC when scan this morning... returned to customer today.
WOW, a 100+ mile test drive. I bet most techs don't even do a 100 yard test drive! Nice work SBR. :beer:

On the other hand, I might be a little shocked if my car came back from the shop with an extra 100 miles on it, but it's nice to know the job was tested properly.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ Oct 26 2010, 11:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366622
Reading the OP message I'd guess his car simply didn't appreciate shifting to FIRST gear while trying to pass another car, at probably a speed of what, 50 mph? Or more?.............. I wouldn't think my babe would love me doing it to her either.

Since all went back to normal the next day (babe is forgiving), why assume any problem with the Throttle position sensor, or any other faulty part?

Cause it could fail all the way at a very inopportune time. Mine failed 120 miles from home in the middle of nowhere. I was very relieved the car started up and drove good so I could get home. Had it checked, they pulled the code and fixed it. His may be just fine but he did come here asking "what did I do and how do I fix it?".

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys very much for the help, i was probally doing around 20MPH when i downshifted, also my would wouldn't shift to first manually unless im going around 20.
By the way mines a tiptronic/ shiftronic. does the warranty cover this or am i gonna have to fork over some cash. also i dont have a stock charging system, i redid the ground to frame, frame to Neg Terminal, pos terminal to Alternator and i replace my stock alt with a HO alt.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Luxury @ Oct 27 2010, 09:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366665
WOW, a 100+ mile test drive. I bet most techs don't even do a 100 yard test drive! Nice work SBR. :beer:
The list of codes was "off the wall" stuff... Tech Assist said do all this work, then test drive over multiple drive cycles.. I cannot be out away from shop driving.. I dont make money that way.. they want extended drives, I do them at night as I live farthest with combo of interstate and city street, shop make money with me there working, and I dont lose with the free ride home, so we both win there.. Total was maybe 100 - 115 mile.. no codes when I got to work and scan, vehicle is done.

On the other hand, I might be a little shocked if my car came back from the shop with an extra 100 miles on it, but it's nice to know the job was tested properly.
That's where keeping in touch with customer and telling them that Hyundai wants us to do numerous drives to verify problem is taken care of.. so if they know that drives of all flavor going to happen, there should not be much shock factor involed, along with if advisor is up front when customer picks up car... "we drove so many cycles for a total of "X" amount of miles, everthing looks good"

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i need a dealer like that in my area, these guys here try to get you to pay for any and everything

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (TeamRF @ Oct 28 2010, 09:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366947
i need a dealer like that in my area, these guys here try to get you to pay for any and everything
If I'm not mistaken, SBR IS in the New York area. At least I remember him alluding to it in a previous post or two. Maybe he'll disclose his location to you if you ask nicely via a PM. :wink2: :whistling:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Oct 28 2010, 11:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366949
If I'm not mistaken, SBR IS in the New York area. At least I remember him alluding to it in a previous post or two. Maybe he'll disclose his location to you if you ask nicely via a PM. :wink2: :whistling:
lol ok

1 - 15 of 15 Posts