Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am purchasing a new 2018 Santa Fe Sport and have been reading about all the Theta II engine issues, recalls etc., and I am curious what engines Hyundai is using in their vehicles for the 2017/18 MY? I tried to find any info on the net, but I could not find any info on current models and the engines being used. Any info, links etc that people could provide would be much appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am purchasing a new 2018 Santa Fe Sport and have been reading about all the Theta II engine issues, recalls etc., and I am curious what engines Hyundai is using in their vehicles for the 2017/18 MY? I tried to find any info on the net, but I could not find any info on current models and the engines being used. Any info, links etc that people could provide would be much appreciated, thank you.
Try here: Theta - Technology - Powertrain - Theta - Press Releases - Hyundai Motor America Newsroom

·
Registered
749 Posts
It Is not the same engine as the one with all the recalls. Most of the bugs this motor had have been worked out to this point. I expect the 18's to be fairly trouble free.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If its the same theta II in the nf 2.4 sonata then run away. I would be suspicious of anything coming out of alabama plant but maybe thats just my experience. I would think they have learned to file/burr the casting flash and upgraded the failing chain tensioners from the previous theta by now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also am in the market for a Santa Fe, but like missfire suggests , I will run away from anything with a Theta 2 engine. The dealers I talk to don't even recognise the name Theta so I am somewhat doubtfull about anything they say ,, Can anyone confirm years that had the Theta or the year when they changed. I know the engines out of Korea were a lot less problematic than those from Alabamha

·
Registered
254 Posts
I also am in the market for a Santa Fe, but like missfire suggests , I will run away from anything with a Theta 2 engine. The dealers I talk to don't even recognise the name Theta so I am somewhat doubtfull about anything they say ,, Can anyone confirm years that had the Theta or the year when they changed. I know the engines out of Korea were a lot less problematic than those from Alabamha
Why not look at a certified full size Santa Fe with the 6 cyl 3.3 liter engine? I'm sure they're not perfect but I hear very few problems compared to the 2.0T/2.4L---which I have both and both have been replaced already. It was a seamless replacement and now I have a lifetime warranty--so there's that to consider if you put lots of miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts