Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this topic has been beat to death but I'm new to it so please be patient.I just received a notice regarding my wife's 2013 Sonata. Apparently it is included in a class action suit with Hyundai Canada that was settled and now we can submit claims.Now we haven't had any issues with ours but we are eligible for a lifetime powertrain warranty upgrade.
My question is , is this legit ?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If the car had the KSDS update, just sit back and hope for the best, but the engine will have the Lifetime Warranty for the "debris" issue.
From settlement:
The warranty extension applies to Class Members who own covered vehicles with Knock Sensor Detection Software with a completed update.

If not certain as to whether the update was performed, check with the dealer.

Even with the warranty, these cars are a PIA as one never know when the engine will expire, but some experience high oil consumption before self
destruction. My advice is to keep all maintenance receipts and check the oil level frequently.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sure this topic has been beat to death but I'm new to it so please be patient.I just received a notice regarding my wife's 2013 Sonata. Apparently it is included in a class action suit with Hyundai Canada that was settled and now we can submit claims.Now we haven't had any issues with ours but we are eligible for a lifetime powertrain warranty upgrade.
My question is , is this legit ?
If you would like I can run your VIN to clarify if there is any outstanding recalls.
I just need the last 8 digits,

·
Registered
16 Posts
^^^^^^^^
Would you be able to do the same for me? I never received a notice, but I did move last year so I don't know if anything was sent or not.

FH176783

·
Registered
9 Posts
is this a US Vehicle?
I'm Sorry I can't see information on U.S.A Vehicles, Only Canadian vehicles.
I do recommend just calling your local Hyundai Dealership and asking the Warranty manager or Service manager to run your VIN for any out standing recalls.

·
Registered
814 Posts
note: CAS settlement still pending; too many objections at the Nov 2020 court date. No new court date yet...

"Updates and Key Dates
Deadline to opt-out/object : October 30, 2020
The deadline for claiming reimbursement for most claims is 90 days following the Court’s Final Approval Order, which has not yet issued. This page will be updated to reflect the final deadline once the Court issues its Order.
The motion for final approval of the class settlement is still pending before the Court. Once final approval is given by the Court, this page will update to indicate the date of the Court’s decision, and the corresponding Order will be included under the “Court Documents” tab. Any reimbursement payments to class members will occur after final approval is granted and any appeals exhausted."

·
Registered
149 Posts
I thought that some of the deadlines have already passed? There was a 4/12 deadline for reimbursement payments. For example, the "loss of faith" reimbursement payment, if you chose to sell your Theta II Hyundai and replace it with another Hyundai.
So is this true that since the settlement was never finalized, then the filing deadlines are still not over?

·
Registered
814 Posts
I thought that some of the deadlines have already passed? There was a 4/12 deadline for reimbursement payments. For example, the "loss of faith" reimbursement payment, if you chose to sell your Theta II Hyundai and replace it with another Hyundai.
So is this true that since the settlement was never finalized, then the filing deadlines are still not over?
good question:

be prepared for a long wait...

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I quit worrying about it

Hyundai/Kia have been forced to step up to the plate. They are doing the right thing with the number of engine replacements over the years. Its a black eye that Hyundai/Kia have to live with, especially since they shot themselves in the foot.

Take care of your engine. If it fails, it fails and you'll get a new or rebuilt one. If it doesn't fail, you got a good one already.

I've had a 3 year theta-ii fail and a 10 year old that runs like a champ. Obviously, the failure was bought used and this says much about maintenance intervals and clueless owners.

Reactions: Mattpsu

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I've had a 3 year theta-ii fail and a 10 year old that runs like a champ. Obviously, the failure was bought used and this says much about maintenance intervals and clueless owners.
As much as I can tell (from: VIN checked by sbr711, Carfax) mine was high-mileage from the 1st and 2nd owners and not taken care of particularly well. But it appears I have a good one none-the-less. ;)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'll repeat, it doesn't matter what type of maintenance has been done on the engine, you can use the best oil filter, best synthetic, oil changes at lower mileage intervals, and nothing is going to save the engine. They are poorly designed and if it were as easy as maintenance, I'm certain Hyundai/Kia would have thought of that 5 years ago before shelling out millions.
They be stupid, but not that stupid.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Every engine will fail at some point...what is saving mine? No one knows or they're not talking! :unsure:

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
So what is your point? Failures are something like 10 to 15%, but I'm not sure what mileage they're considering in that percentage...120k?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I quit worrying about it

Hyundai/Kia have been forced to step up to the plate. They are doing the right thing with the number of engine replacements over the years. Its a black eye that Hyundai/Kia have to live with, especially since they shot themselves in the foot.

Take care of your engine. If it fails, it fails and you'll get a new or rebuilt one. If it doesn't fail, you got a good one already.

What if the rebuilt one fails? I've been told that it has a year warranty and I got it replaced last August.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
So what is your point? Failures are something like 10 to 15%, but I'm not sure what mileage they're considering in that percentage...120k?
My point is that engines have failed at 7,000 miles through over 200,000 miles so one never knows when it will give up.

What if the rebuilt one fails? I've been told that it has a year warranty and I got it replaced last August.
Replacement also comes with lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My point is that engines have failed at 7,000 miles through over 200,000 miles so one never knows when it will give up.

Replacement also comes with lifetime warranty.
side note. The Engines being installed are all new long blocks, not rebuilt. If the new engine fails due to manufacturing defect it will be replaced

1 - 20 of 22 Posts