Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Santa Fe with the 2.4 l engine died at 105 000 km. It was well maintained with regular service and oil changes. So far I have been able to ascertain that it has a Theta 1 engine. I have learned about the recalls/class action lawsuits for the Theta 2 engine.

Can anyone confirm for me if the Theta 1 is a GDI engine. Wikipedia lists it as a MPI GDI fuel system. Can it be both?

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
My 2012 Santa Fe with the 2.4 l engine died at 105 000 km. It was well maintained with regular service and oil changes. So far I have been able to ascertain that it has a Theta 1 engine. I have learned about the recalls/class action lawsuits for the Theta 2 engine.

Can anyone confirm for me if the Theta 1 is a GDI engine. Wikipedia lists it as a MPI GDI fuel system. Can it be both?
Seized engine or just won't start?

·
Registered
30 Posts

Wikipedia is near worthless for this as it lists a few of the years and models with the wrong engine versions. It made finding the actual engine for my wife’s Kia a PITA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine shakes and and bangs. It started on the highway as a soft noise. It got louder and louder so I took the next exit and pulled over. At this point the engine was making terrible noises and shaking. I got it towed to the dealer, and got a diagnosis of a "failure in the lower engine".

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
The engine shakes and and bangs. It started on the highway as a soft noise. It got louder and louder so I took the next exit and pulled over. At this point the engine was making terrible noises and shaking. I got it towed to the dealer, and got a diagnosis of a "failure in the lower engine".
Sounds like a rod or crank problem. I guess you'll find out if it's covered under the program they have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hyundai is not offering any help at all. Please note the OP:

Can anyone tell me if the Theta 1 engine is a GDI engine?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts