Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2018, this might still be too soon, and I'm not sure how folk here like mileage threads; I'm used to seeing them elsewhere and set one up over on a Jeep forum. In any case, I have seen a handful of people over on the Higher Mileage thread mention they've surpassed the 200k+ mark, which is pretty exciting in light of our notorious engines!

A lot of people are still going to be posting over there with mileage that's just over 80k as "higher mileage" since the most recent model of the YF is just four years old as of this post, but if mods and others are cool with it (I couldn't find another thread like this), I'd like to setup a separate thread dedicated specifically to those who have surpassed 200k, to both demonstrate that it is indeed possible in a YF, and what all it entailed -- what issues owners have encountered, what things have proven reliable, what stories they have to share. I figure this will help to calm the fears of some, as well as prepare others for commonplace long-term issues that may be identified over time.

And if this is a dumb idea / a thread like this has already been created and I missed it, just wipe this thread off the face of the forum. :59:

·
Registered
92 Posts
200,500 miles on my 2011 GLS, bought new. I drive a lot of interstate highway miles in VA. Garage kept since 2014. Here’s my general maintenance

Up to 100k changed oil 7.5k intervals with conventional oil
After 100k changed oil 5k intervals with high mileage conventional oil
Installed an oil catch can I empty every oil change
Check air filter and knock off dirt every few weeks, replace annually.
Trans fluid changed with a simple drain every 50k
Coolant changed every 60k
Spark plugs at 100k (looked good) but at 150k and 200k changes they looked quite dirty
Drive belt at 120k
Wash engine bay annually
87 or 89 octane
Fuel system cleaner every 50k

It’s the most reliable car I’ve owned, never had a real problem. Here’s some replacements I’ve done

Front pads replaced at 100k and 180k, front rotors turned at 100k
Intake cleaning service at 170k (getting some knock)
Starter motor at 170k (started to take numerous cranks to start, might be a TSB
Battery at 100k (windows started to roll slower)
Oem tires got super noisy at 50k, replacement Michelin’s lasted 100k
pcv valve at 120k as preventative maintenance
Brake fluid change 150k (I think I did it once before that)
Steering coupler TSB (mine was fine)
Fuel unit TSB for erratic gauge
Windshields every 100k for pitting

The paint on steering wheel chipped in a few places but I found a matching hobby paint to fix it. Some rattles but nothing I haven’t been able to silence with some foam tape. Overall wear on paint and interior is excellent. Only outstanding issue is after 150k I noticed oil consumption, minor at first but lately I’m putting in a quart every 1k.

·
Registered
366 Posts
200,500 miles on my 2011 GLS, bought new. I drive a lot of interstate highway miles in VA. Garage kept since 2014. Here’s my general maintenance

Up to 100k changed oil 7.5k intervals with conventional oil
After 100k changed oil 5k intervals with high mileage conventional oil
Installed an oil catch can I empty every oil change
Check air filter and knock off dirt every few weeks, replace annually.
Trans fluid changed with a simple drain every 50k
Coolant changed every 60k
Spark plugs at 100k (looked good) but at 150k and 200k changes they looked quite dirty
Drive belt at 120k
Wash engine bay annually
87 or 89 octane
Fuel system cleaner every 50k

It’s the most reliable car I’ve owned, never had a real problem. Here’s some replacements I’ve done

Front pads replaced at 100k and 180k, front rotors turned at 100k
Intake cleaning service at 170k (getting some knock)
Starter motor at 170k (started to take numerous cranks to start, might be a TSB
Battery at 100k (windows started to roll slower)
Oem tires got super noisy at 50k, replacement Michelin’s lasted 100k
pcv valve at 120k as preventative maintenance
Brake fluid change 150k (I think I did it once before that)
Steering coupler TSB (mine was fine)
Fuel unit TSB for erratic gauge
Windshields every 100k for pitting

The paint on steering wheel chipped in a few places but I found a matching hobby paint to fix it. Some rattles but nothing I haven’t been able to silence with some foam tape. Overall wear on paint and interior is excellent. Only outstanding issue is after 150k I noticed oil consumption, minor at first but lately I’m putting in a quart every 1k.
Thank you BretSV for a detailed history of your car, enjoyed reading your maintenance practice.

It should give pointers to many as to when and what to expect.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Forgot to add around 175k got a noise under load that was diagnosed as motor mounts. I'm getting used to it and given the cost to replace will just live with it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to add around 175k got a noise under load that was diagnosed as motor mounts. I'm getting used to it and given the cost to replace will just live with it.
How much did they quote you? I had to get my Saturn’s motor mounts done, which are easy to DIY, but I’m lazy these days, so I had my mechanic tackle it. The top one is hard to find in OEM, and is thus expensive. In all cost $200 for parts, and $45 for install.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Bottom mount is rebuildable with the poly inserts.... easy enough to DIY. If the rubber isn't completely torn up, you can skip the inserts and use a poly adhesive to fill in the gaps.
https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/kia-optima-engine-mount-bushings

I am pretty sure that a few of the other engine/transmission mounts can be removed, filled in with windoweld, cured, and reinstalled....

Sonata seems to be a great car for someone doing a ton of commuting. I won't make it to 200k without rebuilding most of the car.

Switch to a thicker oil for top offs, or during the oil changes, to help control the oil consumption.

·
Registered
92 Posts
MobileSonata - the mounts from Hyundai are about $1,000 for all, plus labor.

deadrx7conv - that's interesting, had no idea you could sort of rebuild motormounts like that. Reading comments from that and some other similar videos however, people are saying it makes them about as harsh as solid mounts and seems like mostly tuners doing it, and I don't want any vibration. I found a full set of new aftermarket mounts on ebay for $150, might order those and see how good they look and decide what to do.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MobileSonata - the mounts from Hyundai are about $1,000 for all, plus labor.

deadrx7conv - that's interesting, had no idea you could sort of rebuild motormounts like that. Reading comments from that and some other similar videos however, people are saying it makes them about as harsh as solid mounts and seems like mostly tuners doing it, and I don't want any vibration. I found a full set of new aftermarket mounts on ebay for $150, might order those and see how good they look and decide what to do.
Here's the deal about poly inserts and engine mounts -- and this applies to all vehicles:

Yes, the engine will cause vibration. No matter how well the engine runs, no matter how well things are tuned or how smooth the idle is, polyurethane inserts are a living ****, to most. Some people don't mind the added vibration, and they do indeed last for a very long time. But even in those instances, long-term vibration can cause extra annoyances over time, such as interior panels rattling, etc. Not to mention you have to be versed in the procedure, have the necessary tools, and be okay with the effort required.

But here's the thing about many aftermarket rubber-based mounts: a lot of them offer the smoothness of OEM, but don't last for very long, either due to design changes or the quality of rubber used. In this case, it's a YMMV / manufacturer / car-model dependent thing. Some vehicles have quality aftermarket engine mounts available for reasonable prices. Others don't, as is the case with Saturn S-Series' top engine mount, hence why I opted to pay $150 for an OEM part versus the $20 I would have otherwise paid for a third-party. So, when and where possible, check for reviews. I'm not familiar with the YF's aftermarket engine mount scene, so I have no clue if there are good ones available or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts