Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am about a week away from going to the dealer and getting my new Sonata. But when I wake up this morning to do some shopping I turn on my 06 elantra and put it in reverse, it bangs into reverse. Im like WTF! LOOK AT THE DASH AND MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON ! Put her back into park, no problem. Go into reverse again and she bangs again. When I put her into drive, no problems. She just bangs into reverse, reverse does work however. I also notice while driving she does get up to speed but it seems like she wont shift into the next gear. I am so upset, 1 week away! I was going to trade her in! Now what! with this issue I might as well knock a thousand off of the trade in price . Just my luck man, just my luck. Damm transmission wants to give me issues now! After 5+ years of perfect driving! I dont know what the hek led to it either, she was fine yesterday

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Sometimes you get lucky and transmission problems are oil-level related. Thats the first thing I'd check. Automatics have a dipstick, and a specific procedure for checking - see your owners manual. Manual transmissions have a plug to remove and verify oil is at the point of dripping out. Good luck to you. Sorry if you already know this stuff.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd make it their problem. Take it to the dealer, get a loaner while they fix it, and maybe they'll even make that loaner a 2011 sonata.... :)

Once they bless it as back to normal, leave with a new car and top dollar (since they're telling you it's all better now) for your trade.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did one of the easiest tricks in the auto worl. Disconnected the negative on the battery to reset the computer and bamm it runs fine now.. Im thnking if it is a real problem it will return soon enough but if i can avoid driving it i will and if it comes back i will do the same trick. Hopefully it will last the next week!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
QUOTE (BiGMERF @ Nov 26 2010, 08:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374884
I did one of the easiest tricks in the auto worl. Disconnected the negative on the battery to reset the computer and bamm it runs fine now.. Im thnking if it is a real problem it will return soon enough but if i can avoid driving it i will and if it comes back i will do the same trick. Hopefully it will last the next week!
Good thinking. The relationship between electrical and mechanical problems is so blurred. Before you trade it in you may want to reset the trouble codes just in case they hook it up...

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (Scott2011 @ Nov 26 2010, 12:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374898
Good thinking. The relationship between electrical and mechanical problems is so blurred. Before you trade it in you may want to reset the trouble codes just in case they hook it up...

I just took her for a drive and all is well. Question dont i need one of those computer thingys to erase the error codes?

·
Registered
65 Posts
OBDII ECUs (96 and newer) cache codes even if they're not active. You'll need a reader to clear them out of the "logs". It's not unusual for a normal running car to have cached codes though.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (pseudomaniac @ Nov 26 2010, 01:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374908
OBDII ECUs (96 and newer) cache codes even if they're not active. You'll need a reader to clear them out of the "logs". It's not unusual for a normal running car to have cached codes though.
I think I may know someone with one, so hopefully I can get rid of them...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts