Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello peeps!
I've recently purchased the 2004 getz model.....I would like to shod my car with michellin/pirelli or bridgestone 195/85 R-15 tyres...is that possible? The neo wheels offers a good variety of alloy wheels and'm **** interested in fitting one R-15 wheel.....If that's not possible cud you guys suggest the best Rim size and tyre size option for Getz?
I'm **** interested in the R15 but am not sure if she can take it!!!
HELP me folks

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi,
I have just seen photos of a Getz with 17" Alloys on Getzclub .com forum now I asked wether the wheels caught the wheel arches when using a full lock, but I got no reply, but I have to admit they looked FAB :eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know on the Accent, normal tire size is 185/60R-14. You can fit a 195/50R-15 nicely with only like a 1/4" difference circumference wise. You clear the wheel well no prob. 16" or 17" - ?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Do you know that for a fact, about 16/17in wheels not hitting the wheel-arch, I have standard alloy wheels and even they don't seem to have a massive amount of clearance, because if I knew for certain that 16/17 would work I would get some, like yesterday !!!! But I want to know for sure before going there, anybody out there no of anybody that has had the bigger wheels fitted ????? :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
well, if u want to change to 15"
the recommended size is 185/55/r15
this is standard by the hyundai.

if u find that the size is hard to find,
u can get 195/50/r15
this is more common size tyre for the rims.

or 195/55 for both comfort and handling tyre.

u might ask for the different after install the different size of the tyre,
and here is the link and the result after change the tyre...

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey!!
Thanks a lot wisely....those sites you've listed were very comprehensive! I liked that....thanks a lot.....decision making doesnt get more simpler!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by budweiser@Dec 2 2004, 09:33 PM
Hey!!
Thanks a lot wisely....those sites you've listed were very comprehensive! I liked that....thanks a lot.....decision making doesnt get more simpler!!!
[snapback]3234[/snapback]​

no problem...enjoy the shopping...

·
Registered
22 Posts
i did a lot of research on this topic and it turns out we have a fair few laws to comply with in australia. namely:

1) the rolling diameter must be within 15mm of the smallest and largest recommended sizes (175/65R14, 185/55R15 respectively)

2) the rim width must not be more than an inch wider than the largest recommended (5.5 + 1.0 = 6.5)

using the information scattered around various tyre manufacturer websites, these are the ones that are suitable for the getz that are wider/sportier than 175/65R14:

185/55R15, 6 inch wide wheel
195/55R15, 6 inch wide wheel
195/50R15, 6.5 inch wide wheel
205/50R15, 6.5 inch wide wheel

185/50R16, 6 inch wide wheel
185/45R16, 6.5 inch wide wheel
195/45R16, 6.5 inch wide wheel

185/45R17, 6.5 inch wide wheel
185/40R17, 6.5 inch wide wheel

185/35R18, 6.5 inch wide wheel

of course it is possible to fit other sizes as long as they don't rub (i know 215/35R17 fit fine) but the downside is that they're illegal. nevertheless, there's 10 choices above so it should make most people happy :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi chylld!
dude i was wondering how much time you spent calculating those figures out...but it seems you dont do your homework well!!!
you have mentioned certain tires which I'd love to shod on,but hey! who makes them????
185/35 R18
185/40 R17
185/45 R17
185/45 R16
185/50 R16
205/50 R15
can you please tell me which firm makes these tire size?
I'll be glad to know

cheerz

·
Registered
22 Posts
good point :) the sizes i listed were theoretical possibles, it seems that they're actually very hard to find in real life.

205/50R15 is quite easy to find though, various manufacturers make them.

michelin makes 195/45R16 tyres which, as far as i can see, is the best option for 16's. i can't seem to find any 16 inch tyres with a tread width 185 or less.

same goes for 17 and 18 inch tyres - no one seems to make 195 width tyres, let alone 185. also it'd be particularly hard to get 17 x 6.5 or 18 x 6.5 wheels!

the most popular upgrade routes for the getz appear to be 195/50R15 and 195/55R15, the latter offering a bit more comfort. both of these are within the regulations. when i got tyre price quotes at JAX, they said that 205/50R15 costs AUD35-40 a wheel more than 195/50R15 - so 195 width tyres seem to be the order of the day :)

sorry i couldn't help you more.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Chylld!
Well buddy the size you gave me wasnt what i asked for,anyways, what I'd like to say is the previous sizes which you had mentioned arent made by any tire maker!!! yup!
The best option for Getz is:
195/45 R16
Rim Size: ET(offset) 40
lug: 4/100
the next best option is :
195/50 R15
Rim Size :ET(offset) 35
lug:4/100
Though there are people who've shod 17'' and feel comfortable... depends on taste and location and more so the condition of roads(here in mumbai,17'' wud definately kiss the fender,thanks to the myriad potholes in all shapes and sizes!)
It is very important that offset is considered whilst going for plus sizing if you want a nice ride and dont want premature damage to your tires.

I too had gone thru this phase wherein I sat day in day out trying to figure out what would be the best.

Try going thru the sites posted by wisley,truly comprehensive and easy to understand...
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm

cheerz :57:

·
Registered
22 Posts
yeh i like those 2 that you've chosen, indeed most of the ones i said before don't exist at all! i guess there's only so much you can do when you're restricted to 6.5 inch wide wheels and a relatively small rolling diameter.

i think the default offset for the getz is 38, here in australia we're restricted with what we can do with the offset as well. 35 and 40 are fine, but the lowest we can go is 26. i'd like my wheels to stick out a little bit but not so far that the tyres rub against the fender hehe.. (i realise this doesn't have anything to do with your post hehe i just got carried away)

if i do decide to upgrade my rims it'll be to 15x6 inch wheels with 195/55R15 rubber. apparently the difference in comfort level can be felt between 195/50 and 195/55 so i'd rather have comfort :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by chylld@May 26 2005, 02:17 PM
good point :) the sizes i listed were theoretical possibles, it seems that they're actually very hard to find in real life.

205/50R15 is quite easy to find though, various manufacturers make them.

michelin makes 195/45R16 tyres which, as far as i can see, is the best option for 16's. i can't seem to find any 16 inch tyres with a tread width 185 or less.

same goes for 17 and 18 inch tyres - no one seems to make 195 width tyres, let alone 185. also it'd be particularly hard to get 17 x 6.5 or 18 x 6.5 wheels!

the most popular upgrade routes for the getz appear to be 195/50R15 and 195/55R15, the latter offering a bit more comfort. both of these are within the regulations. when i got tyre price quotes at JAX, they said that 205/50R15 costs AUD35-40 a wheel more than 195/50R15 - so 195 width tyres seem to be the order of the day :)

sorry i couldn't help you more.
[snapback]13311[/snapback]​

hey!
you see the sizes you had mentioned arent made by any tire maker!!! yup!
yeah I know michelin makes 195/45 R16 but then there's goodyear too,with its eagle series.Methinks its better than the mich.
The one more important factor while plus sizing is the Rim ET or offset,which decides the position of your tire and it shud not deviate too much from OE stats as you might ruin the tire life.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hehe yeh see my comment above re offset.

according to what i've read, getting the wrong offset won't only ruin your tyres (from rubbing), it'll also ruin your suspension life. e.g. if you offset the wheels too far out, the same action at the wheel (e.g. hitting a bump) will put more pressure on the suspension geometry itself (i.e. not springs/shocks/swaybars etc.) and this has reportedly led to failure. guess that's one of the main reasons why in aus we're not allowed to expand the wheeltrack by more than an inch.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey have you seen the movie "the fast and the furious" !!
in it,there's a point initially when these dude's go for racing. there's this one car which took me by surprise...initially it was raised from the ground about 2 or 3 " and the dude hit some button and the car's suspension sits down leaving a very small ground clearence...i want to know what type of suspension was sported by that car...any ideas!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts