Hyundai Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been toying with this idea for a while. I am REALLY am on the fence. This is an idea, I've had for YEARS, but never put into action. Before putting it into action, I want the warranty to go out, I still got a lot of life left in the warranty, but I can at least move on to the first stage of this process. Like anything worth doing, a great deal of planning should be invested in the development and design before even thinking about implementation and engineering. Problem areas should be identified and addressed.

So what's the idea? Turbocharging.

This is actually the reason why I came back to see if anyone has any ideas on the how to address my concerns or see if anyone else has done it yet. The main reason I want to turbo the Sonata is because I have a full turbo kit (minus a few parts) that for whatever reason I can not sell. It was supposed to go on the Civic, but then I ended up selling that and the buyer didn't want the turbo kit. I tried selling the turbo kit for a low, low price, but no bites. Now I have a turbo kit and only one car left this NOT turbo. (I own 3 cars, two of which are turbo).

Before moving on to the good parts. I have some concerns:
  • Fuel control, possibly able to adjust with the NSPP.
  • Sonata Injector size and are they low or high impedence
  • Upper intake manifold may need to complete be redesined.... that will not be fun.
  • Rod strength. I plan to run 8 psi at first, but that still may be more than the rods can handle.
  • Factory Compression Ratio of pistons
  • Automatic Tranmission may be weak, need an alterative
    • Build the Sonata auto trans?
    • or possibly swap trans with Azera or Tiburon?
[
Here is the good news. I have a lot of parts... I mean A LOT of parts
  • TD05HR-16g Turbo
  • After market J-pipe for a TD05HR-16g Turbo
  • 3x31x12 Front Mount Intercooler
  • Brushed Intercooler Piping
  • Poilshed Pipe with DSM 1g BOV flange welded on to it.
  • T-bolt Clamps
  • 3 layer silicon couplers (blue)
  • DSM 1g BOV
  • DSM 450cc Injectors
  • VDO Boost Gauge
  • Forge Boost Controller.
  • AEM UEGO Wideband A/F Ratio Gauge.

The only thing that is missing is a pair of manifolds and a down pipe to the 3rd cat, the NSPP or AEM Universal EMS and if need be a fuel injector resistor box.

Spare Parts:
[attachment=21428:1.JPG]
[attachment=21429:2.JPG]
[attachment=21430:3.JPG]
[attachment=21431:4.JPG]
[attachment=21432:5.JPG]
[attachment=21433:6.JPG]
[attachment=21434:7.JPG]
[attachment=21435:8.JPG]

Attachments

·
Banned
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm... just thought about something... I will need an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator and problem one or tow higher flowing fuel pumps.

·
Banned
792 Posts
If there's ONE person on this board that could do this project, it is definitely you.

Although V33 would find some killer jack stands, and duct tape the products together.

Peace, man.

T

·
Registered
337 Posts
your best bet as far as getting parts that will stand up to the increased stress reliably would be to take some from the Gen Coupes...idk if your rockin the I4 Theta or V6 Lambda but there are a few parts that are easily transferable, ie the nspp and underdrive pulley as you know. internals and heads are a far cry from the same thing but im betting that you would have you best shot seeing about applying some of those proven parts to your application at least as far as the I4 goes id see a higher degree of interchangeable parts between those and I know a few companies are working on turbo kits and high strength parts for the gens V6 that could fit. but as i can see it tuning and turboing a ob2 vehicle's ECU is the biggest obsticle

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Member has been banned....topic is now closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.