Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, what is the oldest running Excel out there?

I remember when I was a auto loan Collector in the early 1990's when we repo'd excel's there was always a large balance remaining after the liquidation, especially if the dealership added croak and choke policies to the loan. Sometimes it was better to let the account age then charge off the account.

Hyundai cars have come a long long way!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
There used to be an 87/88 Excel hatchback running around these parts but I haven't seen it in ages. Some people out there claim the first Excels to come to the US as 86 and 87 models were actually worse than the Yugo but as I've only ever seen one of each in the wild and I've driven neither, I'll have to call it a draw.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a 1989 Excel unfortunately the manual gear box completely destroyed the gear case and inside gears at 75,000 miles. Replacement was over $1200 including labor. Traded that in in a push pull tow deal for an Elantra.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its good that old version excel is still running at that time i had a excel but its not comfortable and at the end i sale out the excel..

·
Registered
882 Posts
I had an '87 Excel. It really wasn't a bad car for what it was. It never had to go back to the dealer in the 97K that I had it. Oil Changes, one valve cover gasket and a set of tires is all I ever did to it. Ex wife got it in the Divorce and it went downhill fast after that, but she never did any kind of maintenance to it, not even so much as cleaning or washing it.

·
22,788 Posts
Obviously, an owner that takes pride in his vehicles. All too often we see the flipside of the coin. Refreshing. I'd like to think mine will look this good, or better, if I own it that long. And why not? As long as it's taken care of and PM'd like it should. Quality in, quality out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well here was my opening post a year back.

Hi guys, let me introduce myself
I a man 47 joung dutchmen and i recently got a 1991 Excel 1.5 automatic from a neighbour.
The car did 35.000 KM and is as new since the owner took his bicycle when it rained to prevent the car getting wet.
It sits in a warmed garage.

His brother passed away and he was left with this new but not great running car, so I took it from his hands to help him out.
The problem with the car is that is dous not idle propperly.
So to start I changed the distribitor and rotor, spark plugs and cables.
Since reading here a bit I changed the themperatur censor alwel.
But still no luck.
Took her to hyundai and they hook it up to a diagnostic tool and saw the idle switch is not working all the time.
They fiddeled a bit with the idle screw and it worked great, co wen’t down to zero and I was happy.
The say there is a switch that tells the ecu if the car idles or runs.
Until the next day.
She ran like shitt again.
I checked the ignition timing, the tps, while reading the resistence on the ecu but still the car is not right.
It runs ok but uses a lot of fuel.
On constand speed like 80 km/h she hesitates but if I accelerate she runs nice.
Idl is still wrong and it pops from the exhaust.
I really would like to get it right so where should I look guys?
Any tips are more then welcome !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem solved
Hi guys,
I fixed my problem for 65 cents
I could not let go so when surfing the net I stumbled on several pages about ecu Hyundai capacitors.
It seems common knowledge that all Mitsubishi ecu’s between 1988 and 1992 have capacitors who will leak after a couple of years.
So I pulled out my ecu and found one leaking and changed all of them and the car runs like new.
The thing that bothers me the most is that I went to the dealer and had them work on the car for over an hour and they did not know what is was but they fixed it.
Until next day !!!
So share this info please.

Thanks for you help guys !
http://www.avproecm.com/index.htm

Meanwhile it has moved to south of France.
I recently changed the Original 1990 tyres for new ones, about time I think.
And found a new pair or Monroe gas shocks on ebay in total of 64 euro's !
Both front and rear.
That is the great thing about old cars you can find nos. ( new old stock)

My other car is a Volvo S80,but most of the short trips to the supermarket are done on a scooter or my excel

The first owner had given an anti rust protection.
Well there is now rust at all, every connector is stuffed with grease and this way a car can survive.
I have al the documents with it and the Original bill aswell.
It is not exiting as a car r but it feels nice to keep it in a good state and make people stare at an excel for crying out loud !!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
You'd better look into changing the timing belt. Timing belts get changed at 100k km or five years. I'll bet you have the original timing belt if just changed out the original tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks I am on it, changing some uniballs too soon.
Are these engines distructive?
I know some old honda's survive a belt failure.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Yes, the US Excel with 1.5L SOHC engine is destructive, or the term is "interference" engine as opposed to "non-interference".

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mitshubishi Powered without the electronics, Click on the thumb nail to see older than old, a carburettor, ignition leads, big juicy air filter

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts