Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new member here. So my elderly parents have a 2010 Accent and their lowbeam headlights quit working last week. I've used the search function on this forum to the best of my abilities but could not find a definitive answer/solution for the MC series.

The headlamp bulbs are not the issue, and the L/R fuses are are not blown. High beams work when flashed. I read that there is a headlamp relay that occasionally goes out on other Hyundai models, but I have not been able to find where it would be on our model of Accent, what's else could it be? No other electrical issues or problems.

Can anybody point me in the right direction please? Any help would be appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Have you tried replacing the bulbs anyway?
Reason is that sometimes the bulb filament could look fine but is not

Were all fuses checked? With a test light?
The headlamp relay is located in the engine bay fuse box
Look at the lid for some sort of map to the fuse box
You should be able to figure it out

Check the relay by switching it with another that is in the fuse box
You can always do a by pass test to see if you can get power to the headlights
If you don't understand how to by pass a relay then check out the videos on youtube about how to test a relay

If all that fails to solve it
Then you will need to check voltage at the bulb socket
No voltage then trace wires for open or short (most likely open if no fuses are blown)

Last suspect is the "multi-function switch" or more commonly referred to as the "stalk switch" on steering column
Which is expensive but easily replaced by a DIYer.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,681 Posts
High beams work when flashed.
So, the high beams only work when flashed which basically means neither the high or low beam headlamps work?

If that's the case we can rule quite a few things out:
It's unlikely to be the bulbs if both high & low beam are inop because the high beam flash works.
Power supply to the bulbs must be OK if they flash, which would also mean the relay is OK too (if it has one).
The wiring between the switch and the lamps must be OK, on the high beam at least since they flash.
I assume the position/tail lights work which means the ground to the lighting switch is good.
I think we just ruled everything out except the dip switch which is part of the multifunction switch. You can confirm that the dip switch has failed by doing a bypass test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys! I believe a bypass test in in my future this weekend.

And yes, highbeans only work when flashed, will not stay on by themselves.

Still looking for a diagram of the backside of the passenger fuse box, if anyone can share. Just for my one sanity. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,681 Posts
Still looking for a diagram of the backside of the passenger fuse box, if anyone can share. Just for my one sanity. Thanks.
Sorry, I don't have much detailed info on the MC Accent, although I did find a headlamp switch diagram on another forum post (Thanks to @ikilledbarbie for originally uploading it).

As you can see there are two grounds connected to the switch, one on the left for the parking/tail lamps and the headlamps and one on the right for the main beam flash. Both those grounds must be good because the tail lamps and the flash work. Your fault, I suspect, is at the "HEAD" contact in the left hand switch. When the left switch is set to "HEAD", it sends a ground to the switch on the right which then passes that ground to either the low or high beam bulbs depending in what position the right switch is in. My guess is the right hand switch isn't getting a ground form the "HEAD" contact.

You'll notice that there is a connection between the two switches (connector M31 terminal 11). To perform a bypass test on the suspect faulty left switch all you need to do is apply a ground to that connection.

Now, moving down from the switch you see the black/orange wire from the M31/11 passes through another couple of connectors (EM01 & EC01). The easiest way to perform the bypass test on the switch is to apply a ground at connector EC01 terminal 5 which is on the engine bay fusebox....photo below. With the ignition on, simply back probe the black/orange wire at that connector and connect it to ground. That should make the headlamps switch on....assuming my suspicions are correct. Us AUTOSPARKs are always looking for the quickest, easiest way to confirm our diagnosis and doing the bypass test out at the engine bay fusebox will save you from having to remove any dash trims, steering cowling, etc.

Let us know how you get on.

Scott.

EC01 - Black Connector. Terminal 5 - Corner Terminal with Black/Orange Wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the funny thing is... is that the lights are working now! What the heck man?!? I suppose that means there's a short somewhere. I messed around with the switch on the steering column, and stuck my hand under the dash and moved wires with my fingers, I could not make it "not work" anymore.

What I noticed is the low beams will not turn on when the key is off and I twist the switch to ON, but once I start the engine they do kick on, I never paid attention before but I imagine you should be able to turn on the headlights without the keys.

Thanks to everyone, I will update if something changes.

·
Registered
13,681 Posts
Dxg2k said:
is that the lights are working now! What the heck man?
I wish all electrical faults were that easy to "fix" :laugh:

What I noticed is the low beams will not turn on when the key is off and I twist the switch to ON, but once I start the engine they do kick on, I never paid attention before but I imagine you should be able to turn on the headlights without the keys.
If you take a look at the diagram above you might notice that the headlamp fuses are supplied power only when the ignition is on ("HOT in ON") so the lamps wont illuminate with the key off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, new member here. So my elderly parents have a 2010 Accent and their lowbeam headlights quit working last week. I've used the search function on this forum to the best of my abilities but could not find a definitive answer/solution for the MC series.

The headlamp bulbs are not the issue, and the L/R fuses are are not blown. High beams work when flashed. I read that there is a headlamp relay that occasionally goes out on other Hyundai models, but I have not been able to find where it would be on our model of Accent, what's else could it be? No other electrical issues or problems.

Can anybody point me in the right direction please? Any help would be appreciated. TIA
Hi. I think I can help. I have a 2009 accent and have gone through the same issue.
Dealers unfortunately are no help.
Here is what I found. Symptom - replaced head lights. 1 week later while driving with headlights on, headlights went to DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS on there own. no low beam. no high beam, unless you pull back on the turn signal lever. but as soon as you release the lever, back to just running lights. when I turn my headlight switch on only parking lights and tail lights come on. Only fuses for this circuit are in the cabin fuse panel marked "H/LP(LH)" and "H/LP(RH)". Both are 10amp fuses. 1 in the #2 location and the other in the #5 location in the fuse block (according to the fuse position's on the cabin fuse panel lid for my 2009 accent). Apparently there is no relay for the headlights. Go figure. The problem exists in the switch. (meaning the turn signal lever). it will need to be replaced. $91 at NAPA. I pulled mine out and then apart and found a small piece of copper conductor to have heated and burned through. As to the reason for this I am unsure as of yet, I am still waiting for my switch to come in, but, i jumped the place where it burned through with a screw driver on the old switch and the headlights came on. So unless you have a wire that is shorting out I believe this will at least solve the problem of no lights. If it happens again i will assume there is a short somewhere. if that is the case, I will replace the two fuses with a smaller one in hopes to blow fuses instead of the $91 switch and start to trace wires for a short.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts