Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new to the forum & first car... and I think a killer deal off of a friend that has a Hyundai Accent 2005 Hatchback 1.6L with 37,000 KM on it. The breaks, wheel cylinders, bent tie rod, and a part of the exhaust replaced/done. With such low KM you all probably know this beast has been used to basically get groceries. Which I've been told is not the greatest for an engine. Seems well maintained but one item.

After searching the forums, two questions I found answers for but did not find an answer for my particular case.

Do I need to replace the timing belt and is the engine a interference engine? With it being 5 years old should I replace anything else?

Thank you in advance!

- I also live in Canada where we get a wonderful 4 full seasons of rain, slush, snow, ice, and heat.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
welcome to the forums :00000732:

the cam. belt should be replaced every five years or 60,000 miles whichever comes first

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great thanks. Never worked on a car a day in my life. Got the tools - time to replace the stuff! You guys think that $3500 was a good price for the car I am describing?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
QUOTE (chardoc @ Jun 15 2010, 12:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333201
Great thanks. Never worked on a car a day in my life. Got the tools - time to replace the stuff! You guys think that $3500 was a good price for the car I am describing?
Yes it is :thumbsup: with milage that low & if it was well looked after...interior/exterior..they sell for around $5500..in
Eastern Ontario anyway :grin:

·
Registered
546 Posts
QUOTE (chardoc @ Jun 15 2010, 03:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333118
Hey, new to the forum & first car... and I think a killer deal off of a friend that has a Hyundai Accent 2005 Hatchback 1.6L with 37,000 KM on it. The breaks, wheel cylinders, bent tie rod, and a part of the exhaust replaced/done. With such low KM you all probably know this beast has been used to basically get groceries. Which I've been told is not the greatest for an engine. Seems well maintained but one item.

After searching the forums, two questions I found answers for but did not find an answer for my particular case.

Do I need to replace the timing belt and is the engine a interference engine? With it being 5 years old should I replace anything else?

Thank you in advance!

- I also live in Canada where we get a wonderful 4 full seasons of rain, slush, snow, ice, and heat.
Sounds like a good deal.
My main questions are... how did the tie rod get bent, and why did the wheel cylinders and exhaust have problems with so few miles? Your engine "is" an interference engine.
Anything rubber breaks down after time, that's why you should replace the timing belt every 5 years or 96,000km. It's common to replace the waterpump when changing the T-belt, it's behind the belt. It's about 4 hours to change the T-belt and another 1/2 hour for the waterpump. If the water pump goes bad after you change the belt...it's another 4 1/2 hours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently his girlfriend didn't like to drive on highways and was just basically afraid to drive in general. So she backed up hard one time slightly on a angle into a curb, hard. So it just bent/broke the exhaust, tie rod, and god only knows what happened to the wheel cylinder. After that incident at 32,000 KM she started to walk to get groceries, and very rarely drive. No rust I that I can see but a little spot under the hood that a little spray won't fix.

I've been told by a mechanic with such low KM and because it has been well taken care of and been sitting in a garage most of its life, I should be able to get easily another 10,000-15,000 KM on this Timing Belt. When I look at the three belts that are in view, two look good but one closer to the bottom/cab has a very brown and grainy look to it. I know this probably doesn't represent the timing belt being in good condition and looks don't tell the whole story. So I am still debating whether I should put the time into it to fix it, I probably will. I did ask a sports car dude who owns all types of sports cars (a honda s2000 recently) and he responded in his e-mail:

"Yes!!!! & ask them to show u old one & have them show if it was brittle, cracked, worn etc. Just to give u idea. I've lost to engines cause timing belt has snapped. My 1988 Prelude had 400,000 K & I only had 40,000 K on the last timing belt & it snapped bending valves etc. It snapped way prematurely. It had only about 3 yrs on it."

But then again this guy waits until he hits the red line to switch gears ^_^ I'm a poor college kid so water pump will have to wait until it breaks. As long as the engine doesn't explode like these timing belts... I'm no car expert but I think it should be a chain in my honest opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts