Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(... continued from "The SF got a ride on the tow truck today"
I'm starting this new thread as the old ones title wasn't very helpful for searches..)

To summarize...
2002 Santa Fe 2.7 AWD
Bought it used with 140,000 miles
Unknown history other than one owner and very clean.
Drove fine for about 1,000 miles before the problem first appeared.

Runs well but will randomly lose power and then stall.
Rain/Dry, Hot/Cold, etc..... does not seem to matter.
After sitting for a while it will start and run again.
I've replaced the CKP sensor.
Drove it about 200 miles before it happened again.
Lost power, stalled, would start back up but not want to stay running, eventually would not run at all.
Next day... ran fine.

So I'm now onto further investigations.

Under the hood I've poked and prodded while the engine was running, wiggling every wire and connection that I could see and was unable to cause it to stutter or stall at all.

One thing I did notice here is that many of the sensors look fairly new and have blue ink marks.... is this a factory mark or do you think these are the sensors replaced by the PO chasing the same problem?

Here's a short vid under the hood revving the engine.
02SF Rev - YouTube

Dang it! It's hard to find/fix such an intermittent problem.
... and everybody loves pics right... here's some

Attachments

·
Banned
532 Posts
Not going to assist in your DX but that compartment sure seems like it was very wet, even for an 11 year old car.........hate to say the death knell, was it in a flood zone or a washed title?

Best of luck, I hope Bayer's on sale this week^_^

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Grey plastic TPS... new part is black.. Wild guess.

Have you even scanned for DTC ?

PCM and TCM updates available to bring it up to last version of software.

Been issue with Tucson where roll up to stop, it stall... start right back and drive away.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Not going to assist in your DX but that compartment sure seems like it was very wet, even for an 11 year old car.........hate to say the death knell, was it in a flood zone or a washed title?

Best of luck, I hope Bayer's on sale this week^_^
Interesting thought... while I've seen written warnings of this I didn't even think of it when I bought the vehicle...There's not been a whole lot of flooding here in Michigan in the last 10 years. Pretty sure the PO was from MI but... :mellow:.

While there is no CEL on, can having it scanned help?

CEL has come on recently (more than once) and it's been scanned as a bad fuel cap, and cleared.. but that's all that came up.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Interesting thought... while I've seen written warnings of this I didn't even think of it when I bought the vehicle...There's not been a whole lot of flooding here in Michigan in the last 10 years. Pretty sure the PO was from MI but... :mellow:.

While there is no CEL on, can having it scanned help?

CEL has come on recently (more than once) and it's been scanned as a bad fuel cap, and cleared.. but that's all that came up.
If there is a pending code, it could possibly help. Have you ever tried disconnecting the maf when your "car dies" happens?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi,
I think the car was sold because of this mysterious problem. You got it now.
Also the maybe new sensors etc. seems to me they were struggling with it too and could not get it fixed, so they simply sold the car, so it's upto you to solve it now.
One item several times popped up on the forum with also mysterious concequences like stalling randomly was the fuel tank.
It seems the fuel tank inner lining / paint seems to flake off after many years, so clogging the in tank fuel pump filter. Obviously when the engine is running the pump pulls the particles and flakes onto the filter. When engine stalls and sitts for a while the particles/flakes could fall off again and "everything is ok".
So I would check the internals of the fuel tank, be it a bit of a hassle to get it out or opened to flush it and clean.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not tried that johnaauld ... I will when I can.

Thanks for the reply paul03. Yes and yes... I was thinking of going to the fuel pump filter next and now I will.

I also need to change the plugs and wires as I've no idea how old the existing ones are.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I commented on your other post (ride on the towtruck) about checking the fuel pressure regulator to see if it's leaking. Just wondering if you looked into that....

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would take a hair dryer and start heating up various components under the hood and see if it causes it to stall. It sounds like it's a heat related issue, where something gets heated up to the point where it looses it's electrical circuit and won't work until it's cooled down enough for the circuit to close again. Could be a relay, a crank sensor, the fuel pump, anything that would directly affect either ignition or fuel delivery. I could simply be due to old plugs. If they have worn the gap out to far, the flame could be blown out by compression. Not a bad idea to change them if they are due just to rule them out.

My initial thought though is that it's a heat soak related problem. Make sure the fuel lines aren't getting too hot from being close to exhaust either, you could have fuel that is boiling inside the lines ( vapor lock ), which is less likely, but something to be considered since it would start but not run ( which means you had fuel and spark, but not enough of one to keep it running...I lean more towards fuel initially.

When it would start but not run, how smooth did it start up?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
There is an evap air filter that can get plugged with sand etc, can cause evap codes and drive ability issues.

It is located in the wheel well where fuel tank inlet line is on the élantra; not sure on the Santa Fe, but it shouldn't be hard to find.
Creates problems during refuelling quite often.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all... It gives me some hope. :)

I picked up some new plugs and wires and will be installing them today.
And then I'll move on to the other things mentioned.
I also got some "SeaFoam" to run through it.

My budget is tighter than a @#$%!. so this repair maybe a little drawn out.
Non the less... I'm determined to fix it! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Changed the plugs, wires, and the plenum gasket as well.
Everything went very smoothly thanks to this great write up...
Hyundai Santa Fe Spark Plug replacement on a V6 Cyl

The old plugs center electrodes comes to a sharp point. The gap on them was still about .044.

It's all back together and running well...
so I guess it's just a matter of driving now till (if) it dies again and go from there. :mellow:

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
an update... About 200 miles so far and it's still running...
While that's nice... I still don't believe the plugs and wires are the cause of the random stalling. I'm still driving with my bicycle in the back. :p

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And the story goes on.
After about 500 miles of it running well since changing the plugs and wires,
yesterday, halfway home (15 miles) it stalled out on me again... in rush hour... bad.
Luckily I got it parked.
Came back the next morning, started it up and drove it home.

Okay so ... the symptoms when it shuts down, I can see now are consistent.

After running fine for a lot of miles, and about 30 seconds to a minute before it stalls...
I feel ever so slightly, a chop of loss in power. Like it wants to die but only for a millisecond. Barely noticeable unless your really paying attention. And then several seconds go by... and then again but barely noticeable.

It'll do that a couple of times until it finally just starts to whimper and slow down... (quickly find a place to pull over) then stopped it idles low and uncertain for about 15 seconds or so... and finally shuts down.

It can be started up a few seconds later but won't respond well to the throttle. Little to no power to even put it in gear.. and then dies. Try that a few times and it won't start at all. Cranks over just fine but won't fire up.

Let it rest a day and it runs.

I'll be trying some of your recommendations as soon as I can. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh how I'd love to say "BINGO" right now....

I found what I believe could cause the problems I'm having but ... well ... look

Under the seat, through the trap door...

Lot's of rain last night.. and wow look at all that moisture in there!
And hey what's that? a poorly repaired exposed wire!

When I found it as you can see it had been taped by the PO.
The tape however had slid down the wire and there was nothing but a little bit of wet grime hiding the copper.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Update...
After finding the frayed wire and before unplugging...
I started it up (running fine as it should) wiggled the wires to see if there was any effect and there was none. Still running fine. Then I unplugged it and it died just a second later.
Cleaned up the wires, covered the exposed ones, a little dielectric grease plugged it back in... made sure everything was clear. Started it back up again and then .... it ran like crap and stalled... hmmmmmm. Unplugged, checked the connections, plugged back in, rechecked everything, started it, ... running crappy then stalled UGGHHHH...
So then I took the butt of a big screw driver and knocked on the top of the tank/fuel pump there thinking maybe that might shake some crap out of the pump or filter.
Fired it up and it ran great.

So while the frayed wire could have been the cause it appears it was not.
Next up then is to get in there and look at the pump and change the filter.

Called the local auto parts store..
The said the filter is integrated with the pump.. $70
And then the "strainer" is $15
Does that sound right?

Sidenote:
Been unable to get the manual online... so I just ordered a Haynes from Amazon... so that'll be nice to have.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Update...
After finding the frayed wire and before unplugging...
I started it up (running fine as it should) wiggled the wires to see if there was any effect and there was none. Still running fine. Then I unplugged it and it died just a second later.
Cleaned up the wires, covered the exposed ones, a little dielectric grease plugged it back in... made sure everything was clear. Started it back up again and then .... it ran like crap and stalled... hmmmmmm. Unplugged, checked the connections, plugged back in, rechecked everything, started it, ... running crappy then stalled UGGHHHH...
So then I took the butt of a big screw driver and knocked on the top of the tank/fuel pump there thinking maybe that might shake some crap out of the pump or filter.
Fired it up and it ran great.

So while the frayed wire could have been the cause it appears it was not.
Next up then is to get in there and look at the pump and change the filter.

Called the local auto parts store..
The said the filter is integrated with the pump.. $70
And then the "strainer" is $15
Does that sound right?

Sidenote:
Been unable to get the manual online... so I just ordered a Haynes from Amazon... so that'll be nice to have.
Price sounds about right. Just remember to transfer some things to the new pump or it won't start. I think it's a gasket, that won't be apparent. I'll try and locate a link that talks about that. Here is the link:

http://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/fuel.php

This is for an elantra, but I think it might help. And don't over-torque the bolts when you put it back in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks for the link...
I got the pump out and it looks pretty clean...
as does inside the tank.. (a little bit of debris from around the cover fell in there)

It's not clogged at all in any way that I can see...
is there a way to test it?

Very likely though... it could be the original pump...
I suppose I should just replace it anyway to eliminate that as a probable cause to the problem.

Ordering the pump.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts