Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my kid a used 2013 hatchback accent.
Fist time out with the car as a new licensed driver -
Kid got on the freeway for about 12 miles and finally saw BRAKE light on. Pulled over and took it off.

Tired in on an incline and it seemed to hold.
What kind of damages could we expect?
Kid got an earload of "damages" from us!

·
Registered
296 Posts
If it's still holding on an incline there may be no permanent damage. Does your Accent have rear disc brakes or drums? If they're discs there would be less damage to the normal brakes; with drums the rear braking power may be diminished. In any case the rear brakes will be worn more than they should be.

If the car is manual leave it in gear when parked (1st or R depending on the incline), and if automatic leaving it in P would keep it from moving in most circumstances. Also make sure your kid knows to turn the wheel towards the curb when parking on inclines.

It would be a good idea to have a trusted mechanic take a look.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i'd just get it up to speed on an empty road and see how the brakes grab. the rear pads will just be a bit more worn down now, it doesn't mean they are completely trashed at this point. if there is any damage to rotors, it will be pretty evident with hard braking. nice rumbling.

don't take it so hard on the poor little guy. its a mistake anyone can make :)

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,805 Posts
Take out somewhere and get it up to about 40 and pull hard on the ebrake. It will let you know if they still work.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Take out somewhere and get it up to about 40 and pull hard on the ebrake. It will let you know if they still work.
Pretty much this.

I know the 2013 accents came with drum brakes instead of disc brakes as STANDARD, whereas the SE model came with 4-wheel discs.

Regardless if it performs, I would get it inspected as drum brakes can eventually leak brake fluid if left unchecked and are a PITA to work on if they are in bad shape.

/rant/
I don't know why Hyundai downgraded by using rear drum brakes, this isn't the 1960s anymore. Disc brakes are soo much better in terms of stopping power and serviceability (if the parking brake mechanism is designed right). Glad my car came with 4-wheel discs standard./rant

·
Registered
296 Posts
/rant/
I don't know why Hyundai downgraded by using rear drum brakes, this isn't the 1960s anymore. Disc brakes are soo much better in terms of stopping power and serviceability (if the parking brake mechanism is designed right). Glad my car came with 4-wheel discs standard./rant
I guess they decided to cheap out and figured it's a light-weight econo-car, so it doesn't need rear discs. Most buyers only use it to commute and pick up groceries, not do autocross. And most buyers probably wouldn't know the difference between discs and drums when looking at a spec sheet. At least the drum brakes of today are much better than the disc brakes of the 1960s.

Thankfully in Canada they kept the 4-wheel disc brakes as standard across all trim levels. :)

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
The lack of rear disc makes me mad too. The rear drum brakes hardly do anything. Good for the emergency brakes and that is about all.

I had a accident a couple years ago. Slammed on the brakes and the fronts locked, rear did nothing. Didn't slow me down enough to prevent kissing the car in front of me.

Took the drums off last fall and at 95k the shoes were almost new.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
drums are crap. don't grab as hard and a pain to maintain compared to disc brakes. only upside is the shoes last pretty much forever. but that's just because they're not grabbing near as hard!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Pulled over on the freeway to release the handbrake? yikes

I'm guessing it was only at the first click (makes the brake light come on) if they didn't notice the car was driving any different. That wouldn't do any damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much for all of your advice! It is an SE so maybe we will be ok. But I will take it to be checked out today! Like I said the KID is a new driver, so I did go easy, and probably will never make that mistake again!

·
22,793 Posts
If this is the only mistake the KID makes, you're a lucky parent! Just one more step taken in the growing-up process. :wink2:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Like I said the KID is a new driver, so I did go easy, and probably will never make that mistake again!
You are probably right that he won't ever make that mistake again. Rest assured, though, that he will find new and exciting ones to make instead! ;) We all did. :) Hopefully that one will be the worst of it for you.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Pretty much this.

I know the 2013 accents came with drum brakes instead of disc brakes as STANDARD, whereas the SE model came with 4-wheel discs.
I don't know why Hyundai downgraded by using rear drum brakes
I guess they decided to cheap out and figured it's a light-weight econo-car, so it doesn't need rear discs.Thankfully in Canada they kept the 4-wheel disc brakes as standard across all trim levels. :)
Hyundai had 4-wheel disk brakes on the 2006-7 Accents, but only delivered rear wheel drum brakes on the 2008-11(?) model years. Must have been a number of accidents with drum equipped cars that would have been avoided with disk equipped cars. I do love the 4-wheel disks on my 2013 Elantra.

It must be a waste of money switching back & forth, listening to penny-pincher accountants one year & engineers the next year.

Listening to penny-pincher accountants got the three 1966 Apollo astronauts & the 1986 shuttle astronauts killed.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
The '08 Accent with OEM 16" wheels had the rear disc.

·
Administrator
2021 Elantra Limited
3,854 Posts
On my '06 MC its rear disc setup used a small drum brake setup for the parking brake. The parking brake liked to stick on occason, but it never wore the pads down since they weren't being used for that purpose.

I can't recall if the RB with rear discs uses that type of setup or if it relies on the pads themselves. If it's the same setup then likely the only thing lost was some shoe surface for the parking brake.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Got my kid a used 2013 hatchback accent.
Fist time out with the car as a new licensed driver -
Kid got on the freeway for about 12 miles and finally saw BRAKE light on. Pulled over and took it off.

Tired in on an incline and it seemed to hold.
What kind of damages could we expect?
Kid got an earload of "damages" from us!
Very strange that the car doesn't have a "alarm" to warn the driver that the E-Brake is on.

On my 2011/13 Elantra's and on my 2002 Santa Fe they all have a rapid "ding" when the E-Brake is on and you're driving.

Take it out yourself and see if the Accent has one too, if it doesn't then I'm glad you weren't so hard on the kid, but if there WAS one............. well, I'll let you decide how to take that. If it were me, I'd have to ask "don't you think the car is trying to TELL YOU SOMETHING?!"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts