Hyundai Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just was under the hood and was looking at the air box...it looks like it is very difficult for air to flow from the hood opening into the engine. first goes through that 1 in x 8 in slot into a 1in x 5in thats like 6 inches long into a bigger box containing the air filter. after going thought that it makes a 90 degree bend through a what looks to be 2.5 in diameter tube and then makes another turn, drops down, then curves into the engine.

that is a lot of work for air. im lookin into just cuttin around that entire box to make a somewhat CAI. but my question is.....
what is this little part that jolts out from the part near the engine opening into the air tube?

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't know what that part is.
Even though I have a college degree ,it's not in automotive engineering , so I don't feel qualified to judge Hyundai's air intake design let alone identify the part mentioned.
Good luck in cutting the air box out and while your at it you might as well cut up your warranty book.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (XxSuperGmaN25xX @ Nov 11 2010, 01:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370891
I just was under the hood and was looking at the air box...it looks like it is very difficult for air to flow from the hood opening into the engine. first goes through that 1 in x 8 in slot into a 1in x 5in thats like 6 inches long into a bigger box containing the air filter. after going thought that it makes a 90 degree bend through a what looks to be 2.5 in diameter tube and then makes another turn, drops down, then curves into the engine.

that is a lot of work for air. im lookin into just cuttin around that entire box to make a somewhat CAI. but my question is.....
what is this little part that jolts out from the part near the engine opening into the air tube?

Looks like valve cover ventilation.

And just because its not an open cone filter does not mean anything in regards to efficiency.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (dynamike @ Nov 11 2010, 03:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370903
I don't know what that part is.
Even though I have a college degree ,it's not in automotive engineering , so I don't feel qualified to judge Hyundai's air intake design let alone identify the part mentioned.
Good luck in cutting the air box out and while your at it you might as well cut up your warranty book.
wow hey, thanks for the valid info. what college did u graduate from, id like to know this so i know to not take anyone from there seriously.

QUOTE (Bearcats @ Nov 11 2010, 03:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370904
Looks like valve cover ventilation.

And just because its not an open cone filter does not mean anything in regards to efficiency.
i dont feel that if it was an open cone filter it would be more efficient. I feel if there wasnt such small airways and multiple high angle turns that it would be more efficient.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I am usually pretty good at the "name this part" game, but unfortunately my corporate firewall wont allow me to see any pictures hosted on a photo hosting site.

Can you please repost your picture using the forums 'attach' feature? I can see those! :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've seen a lot more restricted intake systems then what's on our cars, you have to understand that the intake actually creates a suction effect when the engine is running so what you might think is a lot of bends and twists is nothing for the air to go through.

Think of your cars intake as a straw some straws are straight and some are all twisted and crazy like the curly straw you had as a kid (or maybe you still have one) :p anyway what I'm trying to say here is that when u suck liquid through the straight straw and then you suck liquid through the crazy straw you still get a drink... air or liquid will travel through whatever path is there. Our intake systems are perfectly fine and if they weren't then our cars would be getting the fuel economy that they are in real world driving.

If you modify your intake you stand a very good chance of voiding part or all of the engine warrenty (the best part about buying a hyundai) You bought a Sonata for whatever reasons and it was stock the day you drove off the lot... so why put a bunch of unnecessary BS on your car? Seems to me like you are trying to make a race car out of your 4-door family sedan... to each their own but when something happens to your car and the dealer won't fix it because you have it all cut up and modified I don't wanna read your thread about you not getting your car fixed under warrenty. Been there done that and its not fun TRUST me.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (XxSuperGmaN25xX @ Nov 11 2010, 02:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370891

what part of 198/200hp from 2.4 liters (+25hp over the competition's same-sized engines) do you not understand?

·
Registered
290 Posts
In my past experiences(06 trailblazer SS, and 07 g35 coupe), many many posts were made about which CAI was the best, along with dyno tests, etc. Ultimately, the stock intakes won out in both cases, especially when mated with a k&n filter element.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Vitty @ Nov 11 2010, 03:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370933
In my past experiences(06 trailblazer SS, and 07 g35 coupe), many many posts were made about which CAI was the best, along with dyno tests, etc. Ultimately, the stock intakes won out in both cases, especially when mated with a k&n filter element.
And then when you put that K/N filter on you get that +1 HP and your silicates go off the chart!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
QUOTE (XxSuperGmaN25xX @ Nov 11 2010, 01:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370891

those attachments are there for multiple reasons, that size one can just be a pressure chamber for the intake, those chambers are also there to reduce noise.

QUOTE (XxSuperGmaN25xX @ Nov 11 2010, 03:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370909
wow hey, thanks for the valid info. what college did u graduate from, id like to know this so i know to not take anyone from there seriously.
That was uncalled for... I agree with him, apparently you don't know why Hyundai designed that and you are willing to modify the car without further knowledge because you see it as being inefficient. what college did you go to?

QUOTE (SExy__Sonata @ Nov 11 2010, 03:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370919
I've seen a lot more restricted intake systems then what's on our cars, you have to understand that the intake actually creates a suction effect when the engine is running so what you might think is a lot of bends and twists is nothing for the air to go through.

Think of your cars intake as a straw some straws are straight and some are all twisted and crazy like the curly straw you had as a kid (or maybe you still have one) :p anyway what I'm trying to say here is that when u suck liquid through the straight straw and then you suck liquid through the crazy straw you still get a drink... air or liquid will travel through whatever path is there. Our intake systems are perfectly fine and if they weren't then our cars would be getting the fuel economy that they are in real world driving.

If you modify your intake you stand a very good chance of voiding part or all of the engine warranty (the best part about buying a Hyundai) You bought a Sonata for whatever reasons and it was stock the day you drove off the lot... so why put a bunch of unnecessary BS on your car? Seems to me like you are trying to make a race car out of your 4-door family sedan... to each their own but when something happens to your car and the dealer won't fix it because you have it all cut up and modified I don't wanna read your thread about you not getting your car fixed under warranty. Been there done that and its not fun TRUST me.
LOL thank you for explaining it like a 5 year old, that was probably the best way so the OP can understand it. did his previous comment about college people influence you? hahaha

QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Nov 11 2010, 03:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370921
what part of 198/200hp from 2.4 liters (+25hp over the competition's same-sized engines) do you not understand?
+1... wait for a professional to make a CAI, dont start hacking up the OEM one, unless you got money to burn.
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Nov 11 2010, 03:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370935
And then when you put that K/N filter on you get that +1 HP and your silicates go off the chart!
+1.. I hate silicates. :grin:

XxSuperGmaN25xX - What I want you to do is remove the whole intake system going up to the throttle body assembly, reconstruct it out of the car, then put your face up to the side that goes on the throttle body and inhale.....

Was it hard inhaling? That test should give you an insight if our intake system is restricted or not....

:whistling:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Alright...enough with the childish personal attacks. Next person who crosses the line will get a vacation and I don't care who started it.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Nov 11 2010, 05:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370961
Alright...enough with the childish personal attacks. Next person who crosses the line will get a vacation and I don't care who started it.

My bad, I apologize :beer:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (Smoke1991 @ Nov 11 2010, 06:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370955
those attachments are there for multiple reasons, that size one can just be a pressure chamber for the intake, those chambers are also there to reduce noise.

That was uncalled for... I agree with him, apparently you don't know why Hyundai designed that and you are willing to modify the car without further knowledge because you see it as being inefficient. what college did you go to?

LOL thank you for explaining it like a 5 year old, that was probably the best way so the OP can understand it. did his previous comment about college people influence you? hahaha

+1... wait for a professional to make a CAI, dont start hacking up the OEM one, unless you got money to burn.

+1.. I hate silicates. :grin:

XxSuperGmaN25xX - What I want you to do is remove the whole intake system going up to the throttle body assembly, reconstruct it out of the car, then put your face up to the side that goes on the throttle body and inhale.....

Was it hard inhaling? That test should give you an insight if our intake system is restricted or not....

:whistling:
that post u are referring to as being explained for a 5 yr old is informative.

it was maybe designed by hyundai as ease or cost benefit.

as for the college i GO to, i go to California University Of PA, kinda seems irrelevant, for i never made a reference that i was amazing for makin a useless post..

as for money to burn...lol...this is a college car that im using until i wont be driving 50,000 miles a year commuting. that i paid cash for. i owned a business for 5 years from 18-23, just in case u wanted to slap that "i dont know anything cuz im in college" in there.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (Smoke1991 @ Nov 11 2010, 02:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370965
My bad, I apologize :beer:
I wasn't talking to you but thank you anyway.

Since it's clear the author of this topic has nothing else to do but insult people, I am going to lock it up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.