Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I lost my speedometer and odometer today and researched all the stuff on the internet about it. There are so many conflicting things. So I took a pic of what I believe to be the VSS. Can anyone confirm this? This is V6 '02 Santa Fe.

And from what I understand the procedure for this is pull it out, check the gear that's attached to it. If the gear is bad, just replace the gear. If the gear is OK, replace the VSS.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Your picture is of the Output shaft speed sensor..

VSS is deeper in on the final drive unit..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right, based on looking up the VSS that is the wrong piece.

I haven't experienced the loss of power, i.e. entering fail-safe mode, nothing over 3rd gear.

So, obviously it's not the VSS that's the issue as the above is what's reported when the VSS is shot.

I also have no CEL.

Yesterday the speedo needle started bouncing all over and being completely inaccurate for about 15 mins, then it just dropped to 0 and there it has stayed, as well as the odometer being stationary.

Is there something else I should be looking at? Everything else on the cluster works (tach, fuel gauge, lights, etc.).

Both my tone rings on the front are cracked, but I don't think the speedometer readout comes from them, they just give me lots of ABS problems.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Scan for engine, trans and ABS codes...

RF speed sensor feeds to HECU an analog (A/C wave)... then HECU converts it to didital (square wave) for the PCM and other modules to use.

Repair the tone rings,,,, then chase the VSS if 0500 found.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Dec 18 2010, 07:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381287
Scan for engine, trans and ABS codes...

RF speed sensor feeds to HECU an analog (A/C wave)... then HECU converts it to didital (square wave) for the PCM and other modules to use.

Repair the tone rings,,,, then chase the VSS if 0500 found.
Okay, here's my ignorance showing: What's a HECU? Something something control unit? :unsure:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (DSHornet @ Dec 18 2010, 08:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381289
Okay, here's my ignorance showing: What's a HECU? Something something control unit? :unsure:
H - Hydraulic
E - Electronic
C - Control
U - Unit

In common wording, it is the ABS module with all the steel brakes tubes and electronics attached assembly..

First couple time (being somewhat new dealer) we would hit parts counter, fella could not find it.. used ABS, module, cotnrol, and couple other word, MICROCAT would not find.... we finally went page by page through all the windows,, we finally found it, and that is what MOBIS calls the part..

Now we just type "hydraulic" into the keyword box, up it pops, select via description and it goes to window with pic of the part.

Hows that for today' lesson iin Hyundai parts

·
Banned
44 Posts
Hey im having that same problem to but mines a 4 cylinder. I called hyundai and they said that mine only has input and output. I assured him he was wrong but he wouldnt believe me. So is this the same for the 4 cylinders as well? If so wheres the VSS located on these suckers?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update (still having problem):

OK, I finally located this thing, wow, what a pain to get at. When I pulled it out, I noticed some of the teeth on the green gear were kind of worn down, so I ordered a whole new sensor assembly with the gear on it.

After installing, I drove for about 5 minutes. Still no speed or odo. The next day I took the car out for a longer ride. After about 20 mins, the speedo started moving, but would never go above 20 and was still bouncing around a bit. If I took my foot off the gas, it would immediately drop to 0. The odometer also managed to record 2 miles while this was happening. The next day I took the car out, and it's dead at 0 again and has been ever since.

Does anyone know what drives the green gear on the VSS? Is it possible to see it with the sensor removed? My issue must be that the 2 gears are not mating. I'm afraid to mess around in the hole for fear of knocking that internal gear loose. Anyone have any ideas?

I've also replaced my axles, so the tone rings are out of the equation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still have some bolts I haven't put back so I'll get some pictures then.

Also, my speedometer and odometer are now working. I didn't push the sensor in all the way when I replaced it. It's kind of hard to get in there because of the O-Ring on it, but all works well now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the pictures of the VSS which corrects the problem in the OP. Sorry I've taken so long to get this up here.

I'm not sure of the part number. Once I got it pulled I just looked on EBay for a matching part. I probably only needed the green gear. You can kind of tell in the picture where the teeth are flattened, but for $45 + shipping I figured get the whole thing, just in case.

I don't have a picture of where it's located, but I can tell you this. Once you get the air filter assembly off, towards the back you'll see a harness with 3 wires coming out, you want to follow the one that goes back towards the firewall and down. If you're lucky, there will still be a label on that wire, which says "VS EXT". That's the wire that leads you to where you need to go.

You gotta push this sucker back in hard, but carefully, to snap that O-Ring through.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Finally got the courage to attack the VSS, found it down the back, it came out with a pair of long nose pliers, not too hard
I put a smear of grease on the O ring and it slipped in easy as, lost a little skin, but a trip round the block proved it works,
so it was worth the 1 1/2 hours in 41 degree celeus heat in Saudi Arabia.
Next task the door lock that wont work electricallly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
santa fe spped sensor replacement

OK. Just did my 02 sf speedometer sensor gear. Here's the REAL deal (sorry no pics):

It's located directly under the intake input where the air filter flex enters. Way down right by the engine mount on the transmission housing. It is replaced from the TOP, not underneath. First thing remove the air filter top (has a vac hose and a sensor to unplug). Look down, you can see the connector. My connector had two ends. Has to be removed so you can get a socket on the holding screw. Remove the top portion by squeezing down the latch and separating. The lower connection, on the sensor, remove by a screwdriver in the retaining spring (pull it out). Bam - your sensor is exposed ready to remove. Remove the 10mm bolt with about 20" of extension.

Here's the hard part. It's stuck right in there. Use a pry bay (gently) or fat ass screwdriver to rotate it slightly cw. Then back. Then CW. You get the picture. It will begin to move easy, but still won't come out. The trick - with the vss rotated CW, you can get a long tiewrap around the retaining nub. Use a screwdriver on the opposite side to maintain a straight up direction and you can wiggle it out. Easily. Remove. Replace the gear. Get someone to verify the speedo jumps when you rotate it by hand.

This part got me. When installing, make sure it seats. It's not easy. Play with the gear til it feels like it's meshing. Then PUSH. When it snaps in your home.

Put it back together and your ready for cruise control.

THIS IS THE REAL DEAL. Most other posts are mistaken!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts