Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently I managed to get ahold of figures which split the sales of vehicles according to buyer type. I always knew that the i45 in Australia had a high percentage of fleet buyers, but when I saw the figures for myself, I was shocked.

According to the figures, in 2011 (i45's best sales year), only 17% of i45 sales in Australia were to retail/private buyers. This is 839 sales out of a total 4872. In 2012, private sales dropped to just 13%, or 477 sales for the entire year. This is one of, if not the, lowest percentage of just about any car on the market. By comparison, when you look at the Honda Accord, 78% go to private buyers, while the figure for Camry is about 36%.

So, who bought the i45? Well, government sales accounted for 23% of sales in 2011, and 13% in 2012. But the biggest buyer group was fleets. In Australia, fleet could mean rental car companies, or a car registered in any company name, as opposed to an individual's name. There is no further division, but we can assume the vast majority went to rental companies. 60% went to fleets in 2011, and 73% in 2012.

When you look at these figures, you can start to see why Hyundai decided to drop the i45 this year, as there is very little profit in fleet sales.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
If you were to look at just the base GLS model, I wouldn't doubt if the numbers wouldn't be similar here in the US (my own car is one of them).

The SE and Limited seems to be mostly private buyers.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Its strange that there were so many fleet since the i45 is essentially our USDM Limited (a few differences since they have 3 different trim levels). Very nice car, although being in a LHD market the interior looks goofy to me.

Doing some quick math (exchange rates are never guaranteed due to taxes), the i45 is about $40,000 USD. That's very expensive for a fleet car (rental or company). I wish my employer would buy me a $24K car just for working there.

BTW the i45's pricing is the same strategy they are using now for the Azera...one car with only 2 trim levels (really just 2 option packs).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hyundai is very fleet company in Australia. Even more so than Toyota. Take the Hilux out of he equation and the Toyota brand is quite good retail brand in Australia.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its strange that there were so many fleet since the i45 is essentially our USDM Limited (a few differences since they have 3 different trim levels). Very nice car, although being in a LHD market the interior looks goofy to me.

Doing some quick math (exchange rates are never guaranteed due to taxes), the i45 is about $40,000 USD. That's very expensive for a fleet car (rental or company). I wish my employer would buy me a $24K car just for working there.

BTW the i45's pricing is the same strategy they are using now for the Azera...one car with only 2 trim levels (really just 2 option packs).
Your pricing is a bit off. The base 2.0L i45 automatic here sold for $27,990 AUD which is $25,300 USD. The 2.4L i45 sold for $31,090 AUD, or $28,100 USD.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The reason why the i45 flopped here was coz the base models couldn't compete with the Camry.

Premium one is nice, which is why it's he only model I mainly see on the road.

For 27-30k you get yourself a Camry Hybrid.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The reason why the i45 flopped here was coz the base models couldn't compete with the Camry.

Premium one is nice, which is why it's he only model I mainly see on the road.

For 27-30k you get yourself a Camry Hybrid.
Not really. Camry Hybrid is $34,990. I've never seen it selling new for below $30k.

Other medium car figures (for 2012) in Australia as follows:

Ford Mondeo - 86% fleet
Hyundai i40 - 75% fleet
Nissan Maxima - 74% fleet
Kia Optima - 68% fleet
Toyota Camry - 64% fleet
VW Passat - 60% fleet
Suzuki Kizashi - 50% fleet
Mazda6 - 30% fleet
Honda Accord - 25% fleet
Honda Accord Euro - 21% fleet

By comparison, i45 was 87% fleet last year, by far the highest.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Thats really sad.

Also I know I was off on pricing but usually taxes goof up the exchange values from one currency to another.

It begs to wonder why Hyundai didn't do more early on to get sales numbers up. Offer better options, sing the praises of the longer warranty, financing, etc...? Other than the homegrown alternatives (ie Holden and Ford) I would have thought the pricing on the i45 was at least competitive with VW, Toyota, and Honda

On a related note, I heard that Opel didn't last to long down there; less than 1 year I think. Aussies seem to know better that they are nothing more than rebadged Holdens (unlike in the UK with the whole Opel/Vauxhall situation)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The i45 unfortunately suffered from bad reviews when it was first launched, and the lack of a base/entry model for the first 6 months hurt sales as well. That said, in 2011, it did reasonably well, selling 4872, more than Accord and equal to Accord Euro. In June 2012, the i40 sedan was introduced, which meant that Hyundai stopped trying to pitch the i45 at private buyers and concentrated only on fleets. If a customer walked into a showroom last year, they probably wouldn't even find an i45 on display unless it was a larger dealership.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not really. Camry Hybrid is $34,990. I've never seen it selling new for below $30k.

Other medium car figures (for 2012) in Australia as follows:

Ford Mondeo - 86% fleet
Hyundai i40 - 75% fleet
Nissan Maxima - 74% fleet
Kia Optima - 68% fleet
Toyota Camry - 64% fleet
VW Passat - 60% fleet
Suzuki Kizashi - 50% fleet
Mazda6 - 30% fleet
Honda Accord - 25% fleet
Honda Accord Euro - 21% fleet

By comparison, i45 was 87% fleet last year, by far the highest.
Didnt know Hyundai/Kia had such high fleet sales. But again i'm not really surprised. People here say Toyota is a volume fleet, but they seem to be doing pretty good with the private/retail sales.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts