Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would you guys consider our 6 speed tranny to be one of the best ? I'm noticing our tranny's happen to be one of the best and quickest, it seems to play a big factor why our cars feel so responsive, quick and light on the pedal.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Feels much better than the 5 gear auto that was in my 08 v6 sonata!

Yes I agree

·
Registered
277 Posts
Are you referring to the 6 sp. automatic ?

I have it and like it's smoothness.

·
1,914 Posts
I like it too. My 08 Santa Fe had a 5 spd and it had relatively smooth shifts, but I really wouldn't know the Sonata shifts except for when i see the tach move.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It feels pretty good too me, too. The shifting isn't QUITE as smooth as my 06 civic, but very good none the less. I do notice that it has difficulties at around the 33 mph mark sometimes, though (deciding on a gear). Many of the streets around here are 30mph limit.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I like it as well. Never any clunky shifts. Seems to make the car pretty responsive and peppy given the engine size. I would say my only complaint if you would even call it that is the programming to plant it firmly in 6th gear and not budge unless you really punch it.

Like "They" always say. "It isn't the size of your engine, but how you use your shifter."

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
QUOTE (Bingo Steve @ Dec 15 2010, 05:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380030
I like it as well. Never any clunky shifts. Seems to make the car pretty responsive and peppy given the engine size. I would say my only complaint if you would even call it that is the programming to plant it firmly in 6th gear and not budge unless you really punch it.

Like "They" always say. "It isn't the size of your engine, but how you use your shifter."
i have found that once on the freeway, i 'shift' into 6th gear...and leave it there until i exit the freeway. doing this has increased my mileage a little....the car usually hasn't had any problems pulling hills, albeit not the same type of hills in other parts of the country, but, if it really begins to struggle...it will downshift on it's own.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The thing that I like most about the 6-speed auto in the '11 Sonata is that Hyundai seems to have done a good job on the programming of it. For instance, it seems to unlock the torque converter pretty readily rather than complete a downshift in some instances of medium acceleration. This makes the acceleration much more immediate, smoother, and no split-second waiting for a downshift. Many newer automatics seem completely unwilling to unlock the torque converter and they're always hunting for gears. I haven't experienced this in the Sonata and so the overall experience is very smooth. In fact, having recently spent a day driving a '11 Camry (6-speed auto) while my BMW was in for service, I can honestly say that the transmission in the Camry is worlds behind the Sonata. It's programming is so f'd up and it makes it completely herky-jerky all the time and completely unpleasant to drive. It's always in the wrong gear at the wrong time. The Sonata seems to be none of these things.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
these new tranny's were built in korea by the koreans, in house.

and you can tell they really put a lot of thought into this, I don't doubt for one bit
the tranny and engine were designed to last a long time.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
u guys wanna feel a lousy 6 speed tranny ? check out the latest buick lacrosse tranny...horrible. the koreans out engineered them by a long shot.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
QUOTE (mayasonata @ Dec 15 2010, 05:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380199
u guys wanna feel a lousy 6 speed tranny ? check out the latest buick lacrosse tranny...horrible. the koreans out engineered them by a long shot.
I am interpreting "lousy" as upshifting too soon or the wrong shift points for a given speed? The GM transmission is adaptive, so it's not easy to judge them by a single drive in a single car, especially if it's a rental car that's been beaten ruthlessly.
The Hyundai and GM transmissions operate in a very similar manner (same geartrain layout and overall design), and so do the bulk of today's 6 speed transaxles. The perceived quality of the transmission - smoothness, readiness to upshift or downshift, and throttle response - are all set in the programming. GM's transaxle can be as smooth as any, but in a Lacrosse that weighs 700 pounds more than the Sonata, with an engine that offers about 15 fewer horses, and designed to squeeze the last 10th of a mpg out of the EPA estimates, there are bound to be compromises. Some GM transmission programming (highly dependent on model, actually) involves shifting frantically until you get to top gear, and then staying there unless a cinderblock is mashed onto the gas pedal. Drive the same car a half dozen times and it starts to adapt to your driving, and performance is much better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Agreed, it's all in the programming. BMW 128i and 328i variants have GM automatics. In fact, BMW has been using GM automatics for many years now in many of their models.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The transmission on the Sonata is one of the lightest and smallest 6 speed auto gear box in the industry. It also has the fewest moving parts (which equal less likely hood of it breaking down). Hyundai received many patents while developing their new transmission.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts