Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having an 18,000 mile service at the dealer today, and I was advised that 2011 was the last year for the Veracruz.

Apparently in the fall of 2011, a new XL version of the Sante Fe will be introduced, bringing a longer wheel base, and returning the 3rd row seating.

It was news too me, but not a shocker. Hyundai did a horrible marketing job on the Veracruz, and dealers usually had few on hand. Seems like death by neglect.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We have both a Santa Fe and a Veracruz. The Veracruz is a MUCH nicer vehicle. When it is time for a trip, it is always the Veracruz. The Veracruz ride is smoother, there is a lot more legroom and overall room, it is quieter, the seats are more comfortable, and the mileage is still about the same. The Santa Fe is slightly easier to park due to the reduced width, but that's about it.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Not sure I buy that. Dealers very rarely know anything about the upcoming models until it's actually sitting in front of them. Besides, 2011 is the final year for the current Santa Fe so I doubt they'd go to all that trouble to make an extra-large version of a car that's essentially on its way out itself.

And Veracruz sales aren't doing as poorly as one might think. A total of almost 10,000 are sold every year and 750 were sold last month. Not huge figures but better than it was doing same time last year.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Here is one of the sources of the speculation: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/23/source-...heelbase-santa/

Given Hyundai's outspoken commitment to fuel economy, it woudn't surprise me to see the Veracruz, Santa Fe and Entourage all consolidated into a single, car-like CUV. Let Honda, Toyota and Chrysler fight over the ever-shrinking minivan market, and let Ford and GM duke it out for the last few big-SUV buyers. Hyundai/Kia got its knuckles rapped in these areas, and is too pragmatic to make that mistake again.

41 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Dec 27 2010, 07:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=383681
Here is one of the sources of the speculation: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/23/source-...heelbase-santa/

Given Hyundai's outspoken commitment to fuel economy, it woudn't surprise me to see the Veracruz, Santa Fe and Entourage all consolidated into a single, car-like CUV. Let Honda, Toyota and Chrysler fight over the ever-shrinking minivan market, and let Ford and GM duke it out for the last few big-SUV buyers. Hyundai/Kia got its knuckles rapped in these areas, and is too pragmatic to make that mistake again.

If it happens (and Im not surprised) it is Hyundai own lack of caring. The Veracruz is esentually the same model that was originally released. The design was great, the interior is great. But details were never addressed: Lousy radio, no rear camera (soon to be a requirement) as originally shown in the 2009 brochure, inability to have more than 2 starter codes (no remote start!), etc. They had the press against the Lexus but they never really capitolozed on it nor tried to keep it current.

Problem is, there is currently no good alternatives. You could pay more for the Lexus but I still think its designed for 80 year olds. The American brands do not have a high end SUV without making it look (and feel) like a truck.

I held off buying my first Veracruz after I started looking in 2008 cuz of hopeful upgrades (which never happened). Then the 2009 was in short supply. So I got a 2010 but was looking forward to a 2012 after seeing the 2011 brochure held NOTHING NEW.

The world is moving forward and Hyundai is still in a time warp.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hyundai has struggled with marketing both the Veracruz and the Kia Borrego, two very different vehicles competing in the same catagory. Both models have been terminated. I have no crystal ball or inside information, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Hyundai consolidate and redesign it's large SUV products under the Genesis brand. Many critics have said the Borrego should have been a Genesis product to begin with.

·
1,565 Posts
QUOTE (ken99 @ Jan 2 2011, 04:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=385857
it wouldn't surprise me to see Hyundai consolidate and redesign it's large SUV products under the Genesis brand. Many critics have said the Borrego should have been a Genesis product to begin with.
That's an interesting idea. I'd like to see Hyundai compete with Suburbans and Denalis with the Genesis badge. Although I thought Hyundai decided not to have a separate line for the Genesis.

·
Registered
290 Posts
QUOTE (ultragod @ Jan 3 2011, 12:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=386004
Although I thought Hyundai decided not to have a separate line for the Genesis.
Well, yes, that is presently true with regard to dealerships. You can't sell a brand new Genesis sedan or coupe indepedent of the remaining Hyundai product line. Of course two or even three models really aren't enough to support a truly independent brand and dealer network, so perhaps Hyundai is just being smart about the Genesis line development. This doesn't stop Hyundai from presently creating a single Veracruz/Borrego succesor as a Genesis SUV. Hey, how about a Genesis Hummer? Oh yeah, too bad, the Chinese got there first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised, editors have been calling for an expanded line of Santa Fes for years. But I'm sorry, when I went in to purchase my Veracruz, I took a serious look at the Santa Fe and they just seemed worlds apart. Quality and ride handling were so much better on the Veracruz. On top of that Veracruzes were selling for about the same price as the Santa Fes which I still to this day don't understand (maybe a demand thing?). I also like the fact that Veracruz is made in Korea, which is a big deal to me. Veracruzes in Korea sell for almost double than they do here and the quality is the same.

I hope they can up the quality on the Santa Fe a bit before replacing the Veracruz, because Veracruz is much more than a 7 passenger Santa Fe.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (ken99 @ Jan 2 2011, 03:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=385857
Hyundai has struggled with marketing both the Veracruz and the Kia Borrego, two very different vehicles competing in the same catagory. Both models have been terminated. I have no crystal ball or inside information, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Hyundai consolidate and redesign it's large SUV products under the Genesis brand. Many critics have said the Borrego should have been a Genesis product to begin with.
A little late in the response here and while it's ever so slightly off topic, I don't really care. I believe the failure of the Borrego was not through any fault of its merits but rather it was the right car ten years too late. I'm sorry but introducing a giant, body-on-frame, V8 powered SUV right as gas hit $4 per gallon (and $5 in some places) was a rather poor move. Granted there was no way anybody could predict the spike in gas prices but still, the market had been drifting away from those vehicles for quite some time. Why do you think Ford finally rid the Explorer of its body-on-frame design after two decades? Because the customers no longer wanted that trucky feel and sales suffered as a result. Had it been introduced during the SUV boom of late 90s (when gas could be had for 65¢ in some parts), the Borrego would have sold like crazy but in this world, it was forced to compete with already established models in a rapidly dwindling market and as a result, was doomed from the get-go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From the WSJ

"Hyundai Motor Co. may add two luxury models and create a luxury brand that would likely be called Genesis to compete directly with Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus and other upscale makes, Hyundai's top U.S. executive said.

The South Korean auto maker, which has boosted its U.S. market share 50% in two years, is evaluating whether to build a four-door sports car akin to BMW AG's 3 Series as well as a crossover utility vehicle like the Lexus RX 350."

You would have to assume that any Veracruz replacement or redesign would be that RX 350 competitor.

the whole article

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...i+genesis+brand

·
Registered
11 Posts
I work for a Hyundai Dealership and we have already been told that the Veracruz is to be discontinued and rebadged over to the Genesis line. They are going to release a smaller version of the genesis sedan, similar in size to the sonata for the Genesis line also. So we actually know before these cars hit our lots like we have known about the Veloster, we are expecting them by summer time. As far as redesigns the new Accent is next, it looks like a mini elantra and will also be here mid summer along with a 5 door hatchback and the Hybrid Sonata. The sante fe is supposed to look like the Tucson for the 2012 model year.

·
Registered
344 Posts
QUOTE (midge54 @ Apr 8 2011, 04:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=427826
I work for a Hyundai Dealership and we have already been told that the Veracruz is to be discontinued and rebadged over to the Genesis line. They are going to release a smaller version of the genesis sedan, similar in size to the sonata for the Genesis line also. So we actually know before these cars hit our lots like we have known about the Veloster, we are expecting them by summer time. As far as redesigns the new Accent is next, it looks like a mini elantra and will also be here mid summer along with a 5 door hatchback and the Hybrid Sonata. The sante fe is supposed to look like the Tucson for the 2012 model year.
hmm, will the genesis line carrying a 10/100 warranty? I just bought my '11 sonata, but I'll likely be in a higher income bracket when I make my next car purchase. I think that the short warranty of the european lux brands is ridiculous, although the idea of an RS4 or M5 in a decade or so is hard to give up. I will be in residency/military service for the next 7 years, but maybe after that I could take a good look at one of these. That will be plenty of time for the Genesis line to differentiate itself and become a little sexy while maintaining Hyundai's awesome warranty rep.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
just to clarify, the Sante Fe redesign will be 2013 model NOT the 2012.
That's correct - and the Santa Fe XL will be 2014 model year, to be known as ix55 in Europe BUT Hyundai have also announced that the Genesis brand (not just models) will be introduced in Australia in about 2 years - which could be a precursor for introduction in Europe as the legislative requirements are very similar.

For Europe, the Genesis and Veracruz (ix55) models need to improve quality in order to justify their pricing but the opportunity is there to emulate VAG with Skoda, VW and Audi brands if they can get the right quality.

The Toyota/Lexus business model may work in North America but it's been a big disappontment elsewhere so Hyundai Kia Group aren't going down that road.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just to clarify this thread, Veracruz is still around for 2012. My wife and I just acquired one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just to clarify this thread, Veracruz is still around for 2012. My wife and I just acquired one.
...... and this is exactly why you should never listen to what the dealer has to say. They are often less informed than the general public.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This was scaring me

We just got a 2012 Veracruz and this thread is making me think that I got something that is on the way out and maybe not very good. If it is good for say 3 years and 50K miles I guess I'll be happy. This is just my first post and I wish I was seeing people happy with Veracruz and saying goodby to them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have a 2008 Veracruz and love it. It rides like a dream and is a very comfortable car. It has 64K miles and hasn't blinked. It is not an inferior car. If Hyundai restyles this car I will buy another one.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I read recently that Veracruz production finished in November 2011 and that the last batches were badged as 2012 models for sale this year.

Hyundai don't seem to be denying the development of an extended Santa Fe in common with the upcoming 2013 model.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts