Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has always been a point of contention for me that the Elantra doesn't come with at least a mini-donut spare. I finally broke down and ordered one today and I wanted to share, in case someone else pulls the trigger on this.

I ordered the Dorman 926-021 Wheel and Tire Package - Black, Steel, Direct Fit. You can search Dorman 926-021 it is all over the internet and the usual price is $135.95.

I got mine at JC Whitney. It had no tax, and free shipping. Also, there is a code this month for "$20 Off $100 + Free Shipping" The code is
JCWMDSM4

so I thought that was the best deal. I suppose this code is good for many things. Here is the final amount:

Subtotal$135.95
Discount-$20.00
ShippingFREE
Tax$0.00
TOTAL$115.95

Hope this saves someone some money!
Hank
2012 Elantra GLS Sedan 1.8, 130K miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It has always been a point of contention for me that the Elantra doesn't come with at least a mini-donut spare. I finally broke down and ordered one today and I wanted to share, in case someone else pulls the trigger on this.

I ordered the Dorman 926-021 Wheel and Tire Package - Black, Steel, Direct Fit. You can search Dorman 926-021 it is all over the internet and the usual price is $135.95.

I got mine at JC Whitney. It had no tax, and free shipping. Also, there is a code this month for "$20 Off $100 + Free Shipping" The code is
JCWMDSM4

so I thought that was the best deal. I suppose this code is good for many things. Here is the final amount:

Subtotal$135.95
Discount-$20.00
ShippingFREE
Tax$0.00
TOTAL$115.95

Hope this saves someone some money!
Hank
2012 Elantra GLS Sedan 1.8, 130K miles.
Good deal.. Even locally people are asking $135+. I have been shopping around lately, and this will help for sure!

Thank you sir.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Picked up a complete package from a Sonata, tire/wheel/jack/tools etc for $90 shipped off Ebay. I keep that and the inflator kit in the trunk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Picked up a complete package from a Sonata, tire/wheel/jack/tools etc for $90 shipped off Ebay. I keep that and the inflator kit in the trunk.
Donut or full size spare? Have a link?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Donut or full size spare? Have a link?

Donut, and it was a individual seller on ebay. I just keep looking until I found a deal.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
i think the dorman is the wheel and tire only. the factory kit has the jack+tools needed, plus the foam holder, which all fits neatly in the spare tire well. one can also get a full size spare and tire in there(we have both), and with some effort, cut down the factory foam holder for the rest. 90 bucks for the factory kit is a killer deal, great find.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I like having a full size spare. I have purchased a take off set of 4 Elantra steel rims, tires with hubcaps on Craigslist for $100. I used one for a spare. I sell the remaining rims and tires for $50 each and the hubcaps for $15 each on Craigslist. Most people who want a spare, do not want a full set.

I just got back from a trip from Phoenix to Yellowstone. 900 miles into the trip, I had a screw puncture the rear tire near the outside edge. I put on my full sized spare and drove the remaining 2000 miles of my trip. Try that with a space saver spare.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I just got back from a trip from Phoenix to Yellowstone. 900 miles into the trip, I had a screw puncture the rear tire near the outside edge. I put on my full sized spare and drove the remaining 2000 miles of my trip. Try that with a space saver spare.
I personally wouldn't drive 2K miles without a spare. But in this case, I would have pulled out my plug kit, fixed tire, filled up with my inflator kit pump and been on my merry way. Wouldn't have even broken a sweat....lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Elantra came with a spare tire....a doughnut but still. I didn't know they came without. What happens if you get a flat?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
My Elantra came with a spare tire....a doughnut but still. I didn't know they came without. What happens if you get a flat?

They came with an inflator kit. Basically a can of fix a flat and air pump.

Reactions: Justin Graham

·
Registered
480 Posts
I personally wouldn't drive 2K miles without a spare. But in this case, I would have pulled out my plug kit, fixed tire, filled up with my inflator kit pump and been on my merry way. Wouldn't have even broken a sweat....lol
He said Phoenix, it gets pretty hot there in August :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
OK, all this talk of spares just before my trip had me down in the barn and putting one of my snow tires in the trunk well. No jack but I have AAA. One thing to keep in mind with a full size tire, the trunk floor doesn't sit flush anymore. It's a 16" versus the 17" for the summer tire but they are the same diameter.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I did have a plug kit and the inflator. I would have used it if I had gotten another flat. Lately I have had some trouble with leaks using the plug kit. Maybe the screw punctures cause more leaks.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
OK, all this talk of spares just before my trip had me down in the barn and putting one of my snow tires in the trunk well. No jack but I have AAA. One thing to keep in mind with a full size tire, the trunk floor doesn't sit flush anymore. It's a 16" versus the 17" for the summer tire but they are the same diameter.
we have 16", and a full size spare fits perfectly, floor is flat. i also have an electric jack, and a spare cordless impact. also have a couple cans of flatseal. i used to deliver mail out in the boonies, and flatseal saved me many times. but it will not seal the sidewall.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My full size spare fits flat, also. I cut down the foam insert, to fit my floor jack.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd bought a spare from a 2008 Sonata from the boneyard soon after I bought my Elantra; worked in action too! Caveat: just because a salvage tyre was never ever used, doesn't mean it doesn't run low on air... somehow I neglected to top it up! Fortunately nothing bad happened!

·
Registered
176 Posts
we have 16", and a full size spare fits perfectly, floor is flat. i also have an electric jack, and a spare cordless impact. also have a couple cans of flatseal. i used to deliver mail out in the boonies, and flatseal saved me many times. but it will not seal the sidewall.
I have 16" alloys for my snows. I had to put it in cap side up so because I didn't want the cap to get lost. I did bring the pump and fix a flat. Just got back from my trip and I never had to look at the spare.

I won't use the fix a flat because it will ruin the TPS so it will just add another $30 to the replacement cost plus the person at the tire shop won't like have to clean the rim.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a really dumb question about my new donut. The tire that came as a result of purchasing the

Dorman 926-021

is a T125 80 R15

It says

"Inflate to 420 KPA (60 psi)." The brand is Vee Rubber (don't think that makes a difference). Tire Rack sells Kuhmo brand in this size and again it says on the tire 60 psi.

Am I really supposed to inflate this thing to 60 psi? It sounds like way too much!

·
Registered
160 Posts
No reason to to buy a donut..ever.. as long as the trunk size fits a full size 16'' as such the Elantra does.
I bought a used Aluminium matching wheel for $85 at junk yard and then bought a $41 new all season tire from Walmart.
Bought a jack from bone yard for $5 and tire rod from amazon for $17

Already got an instant flat from running over a curb. Changed it out in about 20 minutes. Drove on spare without worries and no rush to repair

1 - 20 of 29 Posts