Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody.....
I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra and at about 120km/h the car shakes/vibrates but at a lower speed it's fine . Has anyone had thisor have any ideas on what could
be causing this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the very same problem with my 2000 elantra. My mechanic did a wheel balancing and alignment, which helped reduce the problem, however I still dectect a little vibration at those speeds, but not continuously anymore. I'll post if and when I get completely rid of the problem.

Originally posted by lara@Jul 26 2004, 01:30 PM
hi everybody.....
I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra and at about 120km/h the car shakes/vibrates but at a lower speed it's fine . Has anyone had thisor have any ideas on what could
be causing this?
[snapback]402[/snapback]​

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have a tire that is out of balance or out of round. Take it to a shop with a good reputation and high tech balancing equipment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried this and it worked for all of about 15 minutes then the shaking was back. I know exactly what you mean 120 kph/60 mph - serious front end shaking and the wheel vibrates. What I found it to be was warped rotors. At higher speeds the OEM rotors can often have trouble dissipating the heat so they warp. It can also be caused by washing your car after a long drive - cold water and hot rotors are a bad mixture. Replace the rotors, and it is also a good idea to replace the brake pads while you are at it because chances are they are worn unevenly. You should also take a good look at your tires because they are probably wearing unevenly also due to the vibration. If a mechanic offers to "turn" the original rotors or the auto store suggests it DON'T do it - replace them. Turning just shaves the rotor down to smooth but that removes a thin sheet of metal which further reduces the rotor's ability to dissipate heat. Good luck.

Originally posted by Chris P.@Jul 31 2004, 10:17 PM
You have a tire that is out of balance or out of round. Take it to a shop with a good reputation and high tech balancing equipment.
[snapback]633[/snapback]​

·
Registered
1 Posts
In addition to what others have written I'd like to add that I had a similar problem which was caused by a failed tie-rod (steering part). Check your front tires for
abnormal wear of the tread. In my case, one front tire had a goodly portion of
the outer portion of the tire worn down. If there seems to be unusual wear have the front end inspected.

Good luck.

Originally posted by lara@Jul 26 2004, 05:30 AM

hi everybody.....
be causing this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by lara@Jul 26 2004, 08:30 AM
hi everybody.....
be causing this?

I am having the same problem with my '02 GT. There are a few things that could be causing the vibration. as already stated, Wheel balancing and alignment although alignment usually doesnt cause much vibration. The steering assembly could have a fault in it or need servicing. The tires could have worn wrong ( which is why it's important to rotate your tires every so often ) the disk breaks could have "hot spots" which is where you break and leave the pads locked against the rotor without allowing some movement. ( the heat generated by stopping heats up the areas the breakpads rest on, this can be avoided by allowing your car to "roll" slightly a few times after you come to a stop.) Your wheel could be warped, in which case no balancing in the world can stop it then. if you do indeed have a warped wheel you'll have to replace it if you want the vibration to stop. another possibility is a bad shock which locked up. If a shock locks up it doesn't absorb any impact on the wheels, which in turn would cause some vibration / unusual bumpiness.
Good Luck, hope you find the problem.

( In my case the vibration was coming from a badly forged wheel )

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just in addition to the last post, alignment problems can have an effect on vibrational problems.
If too much negative castor is set then this will cause wheel shimmy. :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Dec 22 2004, 03:43 AM
Just in addition to the last post, alignment problems can have an effect on vibrational problems.
If too much negative castor is set then this will cause wheel shimmy. :)
[snapback]3930[/snapback]​

not only that, BUT having the front wheels TOE-IN rather then the correct 1mm TOE-OUT, can create a wheel shake

·
Registered
227 Posts
We have a lot of potholes in our area in the spring and sometimes they are unavoidable especially when it rains and they fill up. Our two 2002 Elantras both experienced this problem and found it to be a bent rim. As stated above, if taken to a good shop, they will be able to pinpoint the problem

·
Registered
422 Posts
not only that, BUT having the front wheels TOE-IN rather then the correct 1mm TOE-OUT, can create a wheel shake

As long as you are talking about this wheel alignment angle as a static value, then the 1mm you are referring to is the SCRUB RADIUS angle.

Just for those who were going to ask.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts