Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to finish my Boss 865 DBI stereo installation today. Some of you may remember me posting about this earlier in the month. I had two delays. First was the wait for getting everything in the mail. The stereo and Metra mounting kit arrived quickly from Amazon but the wiring harness from a separate seller took a long time. Second was the Thanksgiving holiday. The harness arrived on the same day I went traveling for a week.

Here are some notes on the installation. Then I'll show two pictures.

The mounting kit from Metra does fit the Accent and the stereo but it took a lot (and I mean, a lot) of filing and cutting. I don't know if there is a standard for mounting hole locations on stereos but if there is one then either Boss or Metra (or both) didn't follow it. There wasn't a single hole I didn't leave alone. Even the mounting holes that mate with the Accent's internal mounts had to be filed a bit. I think the trouble is that the mounting kit is designed for several Korean cars and the Accent is just one of them. This is a good case for measure thrice, cut once! Thankfully the mounting kit is made of soft plastic so it didn't take much time. All of the screws attaching the mounting kit to the stereo were given a drop of thread locker to prevent the screws from loosening and rattling. With the plastic being so soft, it seems rather flimsy for supporting a heavy stereo. Hopefully it is strong enough. I will say that the front mounting plate in the Metra kit fits perfectly and it looks excellent!

The cable harness was also from Metra but it was nothing exceptional. I soldered all the connections and insulated them with heat shrink tubing. The Boss has it's own proprietary connector and they provided a cable from the propriety connector to an ISO connector, which has two sections (one for speakers, one for power/control). From there, I connected the two Boss-supplied ISO cables with unterminated leads to the Metra harness. Easy.

Getting everything to fit together was not difficult at all. I removed the plastic and metal clips on the fascia so the entire fascia can easily be taken in and out for test fits. I centered the stereo with it's Metra mounting kit and loosely secured the four screws that hold the unit in the car. The fascia popped in without a hitch and I think it shifted the stereo over a bit. I must have been slightly off center. The mounting holes in the kit that mate to the car are wide slots. After taking the fascia out, I tightened the mounting screws holding the unit in place, installed the clips on the fascia, connected the cables to the hazard light switch, etc, and popped the fascia back in. Nothing is going anywhere now. The stereo is slightly propped up by the bottom of the fascia and the fit is just snug enough. I took a quick night time test drive and nothing rattled.

During the fitting process I did power up the stereo to make sure it worked. The last thing I wanted to do is put everything together and find out that I'm letting out the magic smoke that's built into every electronic component!

I mentioned in a previous thread that after removing the air bag indication light I got a air bag check light. This light went way when I reconnected the indicator. Yey!!

So how does it look? Here is the first picture.

I think it looks as if it were designed for the car! All of the back-lighting on the stereo is blue. While that doesn't match the amber and green of everything else that is back lit, it does match the blue of my car. Nice. :thumbsup: The lighting is very bright. It gives the interior of the car a nice warm glow at night. I do see a reflection of the front panel at the top of my windshield. It's not too distracting except that it is something that was not there before.

I got this unit specifically because it can swallow an iPod. The detachable front plate hides an iPod dock.

Now I do not need any messy cables or external mounts for my iPod. While everything is much neater, it does increase the complexity of using an iPod. Almost everything is selected by turning the little volume knob on the left. The knob is not only small but it is chrome plated plastic. Translation: it is slippery. The response of the stereo to scrolls when searching for artists and albums is slow and you need to let the stereo catch up to what you are doing. Sometimes you think you selected the right album only to be the victim of a processing delay and you really end up selecting the album after the one you wanted in the list. You only have so many seconds to make decisions and react. If you miss the time out period because you had to shift gears or whatever then you need to start the drill down process all over again. So if you have hundreds of albums and thousands of songs then get ready for some frustration. You can solve all of this by using playlists. If you get desperate and need something out of the ordinary then you can drill down to what you are looking for but you better know your iPod inside and out. It is very distracting to drill down while driving and that means unsafe. Save a life or two and use a playlist.

The radio features all sorts of blue tooth functionality for connecting to a cell phone. Believe it or not, I do not have a cell phone and I will never get one on principle. I could not test any of those features.

One more quirk about the iPod playing. When you start playing a song the stereo is finishing up some sort of seek/load command to the iPod. The iPod starts playing before the stereo can switch from command mode to play mode. This translates to a loss of about 1/2 to 1 second of audio. It's not a big deal. The transition from song to song is seamless.

Cheers! :)

-- Boris

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stereo was about $150 but I can't remember the kit price. Maybe it was $10? The cable was definitely $9. Free S&H through Amazon.com.

-- Boris

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Very nice!!! LOVE the hidden iPod feature!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I hope you have better luck with your's than I did with my Boss 760 di I had in my 2007 Accent.
It quit reading usb's and sd cards after 6 months.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yikes! I hope my unit doesn't bust after 6 months. So far I have only used the CD player and the iPod inputs. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

-- Boris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.