Hyundai Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting an average 23 mpg on a 4 cylinder midsized car is totally not worth it when u can get the same mpg on a larger small 6 cylinder.

the upper 35mpg is completely false, I'm very dissappointed with the mpg.

·
Registered
45 Posts
QUOTE (mayasonata @ Dec 8 2010, 01:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377938
getting an average 23 mpg on a 4 cylinder midsized car is totally not worth it when u can get the same mpg on a larger small 6 cylinder.

you're doing it wrong, change your driving habits.

Many here are in the upper 20's to lower 30s

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Drive, climate, and about a million other factors are part of the equation.

I was getting 16-18 on my "small" V6 Maxima. I am now getting 24 on the EXACT same drive with same driving habits.

When I put mine on the highway and drive like a normal human being I get mid 30's. Car does it. Habits make a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm averaging between 23-26 mixed driving in both highway and city here in Northern VA with lots of stop and go. On long trips I can get anywhere between 33-40 mpg depending on my driving habits. So it's pretty acurate.

·
Registered
854 Posts
With perfect factors you can get the 35mpg.

I drive a good mix of city/highway, i'm getting 27-28mpg and that includes quite a few flooring maneuvers on the highway.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Dec 8 2010, 01:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377962
With perfect factors you can get the 35mpg.

I drive a good mix of city/highway, i'm getting 27-28mpg and that includes quite a few flooring maneuvers on the highway.

same here, i'm at 4800 miles now since early sept....i'm sure it will drop with the winter blend of fuels and added warm-up times...but, it's way better than my V6 sedan, which avg about 21-22 normally, the same drive. i'm happy with my avg mpg's so far!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I usually get in the mid 20's per tank. But I don't ever remember coming close to 30. While its not terrible, I guess I was expecting a little better for a 4 cylinder. Though still happy with the car otherwise. Except for the stupid sunglass holder : )

·
Registered
550 Posts
QUOTE (mayasonata @ Dec 8 2010, 02:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377938

Maya, tell us about your drive (type of traffic, highway speeds, mountains, weight in the car, length of commute, A/C, etc.) Also, what method do you use to check your mileage?

·
Registered
48 Posts
With almost 5000 miles so far I haven't had a tank that was less than 27mpg average, even with 50/50 city vs. highway driving.

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (mayasonata @ Dec 8 2010, 01:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377938

Mayasonata,

Certainly don't want to discount your experience, but really, something sounds wrong.

·
Registered
472 Posts
QUOTE (Klooks Kleek @ Dec 8 2010, 03:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377992
Mayasonata,

Certainly don't want to discount your experience, but really, something sounds wrong.

You eed to keep in consideration that fuel in the winter is oxaginated and you burn more fuel because of it.

I like most that have replied to this post is getting 27 mpg for city and highway and 33 mostly highway. To tell you the truth, if you just fill up and go right to a highway for a trip no doubt you will get 35 or better. I have gotten a best of just under 37. I agree with the one post that said your driving habits make a big difference. If your doing jack rabbit starts etc, this will drop your mpg in a heartbeat.

I will tell you that I have had many cars both 6 and 8 cylinders and none of them ever got the advertized mpg that the manufacturer post. Sure we would all like better mileage but so many things come into play when you are looking for outstanding mpg. One thing is for sure, I am not going to the gas station as much a I was with the car I traded in for my Sonata and I now don't have to use high test gas whhich is 39 cents a gallon more than regular here in New York.

Just enjoy the car. It is the best bang for the buck out there and get's better mpg than any other car in it's segment.

Happy motoring......

·
1,914 Posts
My driving is about 70% city and 30% highway I average between 24-26. I haven't taken a highway trip yet. I use eco to help get better gas mileage and I think it's taught me how to get better gas mileage.

·
Registered
736 Posts
QUOTE (run_n_late @ Dec 8 2010, 03:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377974
I have to say that I am getting about 26-28 MPG with mixed driving and I do over the 65mph posted limit on the highway.
You can add me to the 26-28 mile club also and I drive mixed city and highway, more in the city and back roads though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
A couple of things on this issue... first of all, the MPG reading on the display (in my experience) is about 2 MPG high. If you're using that as your judgment of the mileage you're getting, you're probably off by a bit. The best way to tell what your MPG in a more accurate measurement is to keep track (for SEVERAL fill-ups) of gallons bought and miles driven. I recommend the Fuelly.com site for this if you want to be techy about it (see Bearcats' mileage badge on his post above), a simple notebook aand calculator if you don't!

Also, driving habits matter a LOT for your performance, including speed. Increasing my speed from 65 to 80 decreases my MPG by about 5. My best result was 32 MPG driving highway at about 70 MPH. Usually I run about 28 driving at about 78.

As the saying goes (quite literally in this case), your mileage may vary..... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Not mentioned yet in all the good tips posted here is your tire pressure. I keep mine at 35psi. If you are not taking care of this yourself, it's not uncommon to find pressures in the mid-20s range, even from the dealership or the quick-change oil places. They often do that because they think consumers want a softer ride first and foremost.

·
Registered
652 Posts
When I drove a 70/30 city/highway mix in the Atlanta area, I got about 24 mpg. On a whole tank of city driving, I got 22.

You have to log some highway miles close to the speed limit to approach or pass 30.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.