Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I recently spent a week with the latest 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe (Facelift) and as the title suggests, I found it to have a major step backwards from the previous (non-facelifted) Santa Fe.

Review for those interested:

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about my time spent with it!

- Matt

·
Registered
117 Posts
Soo, the loud title is a lack of suspension tune, but still the car drives superb and better than all of its rivals? (subjective)

Curious if the tire pressure was set to factory specs, this affects a lot on the feel of how my SF drives.

Review is ok, somewhat too emotional imo. Clickbait titles (n)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey everyone, I recently spent a week with the latest 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe (Facelift) and as the title suggests, I found it to have a major step backwards from the previous (non-facelifted) Santa Fe.

Review for those interested:

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about my time spent with it!

- Matt
You better check the real major flaw this new Hyundai has - 2.5l engines a ticking time bombs.

·
Registered
2020 SantaFe
167 Posts
SamCarLegion had the opposite to say about the suspension. I prefer a softer ride but not one that leans to much in corners. Sam seemed to feel the 2021 accomplished that. Again one is Canadian model yours is UK model. Both liked the engine/trans though. The front has quad light pods under the headlights but why so many lights? Just have the headlights in that quad configuration which I guess would be a step back but would clean up the front. Just to many light pods. My 2020 also has two seperate areas for lighting but the fog DRL's are lower so you don't notice as much. For me I prefer the 2019/2020 look in the front and back. I wish the review was in the upscale model instead of the base model. Good review though.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,010 Posts
Don’t waste your time watching the video unless you live in Australia. I’ll never recoup those wasted 14 minutes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don’t waste your time watching the video unless you live in Australia. I’ll never recoup those wasted 14 minutes.
That's frankly bullsh*t. Do you not watch any reviews outside of your home country because specs are different?

At the end of the day, I gave a thorough review of the car across multiple metrics that apply globally.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SamCarLegion had the opposite to say about the suspension. I prefer a softer ride but not one that leans to much in corners. Sam seemed to feel the 2021 accomplished that. Again one is Canadian model yours is UK model. Both liked the engine/trans though. The front has quad light pods under the headlights but why so many lights? Just have the headlights in that quad configuration which I guess would be a step back but would clean up the front. Just to many light pods. My 2020 also has two seperate areas for lighting but the fog DRL's are lower so you don't notice as much. For me I prefer the 2019/2020 look in the front and back. I wish the review was in the upscale model instead of the base model. Good review though.
The quad headlights (from memory) low beam, high beam, turning signal, fog light. But you get less lights with higher trims because the turning signal becomes integrated with daytime running lights.

It's really just what you are used to for suspension. Hyundai used COVID as an excuse to not tune the suspension on this here in Australia vs the pre-facelift, and comparatively it sucked. Way too much bodyroll compared to the old one. I get that is Australian specific, but we're spoiled here by the local tuning!

Edit: word

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Soo, the loud title is a lack of suspension tune, but still the car drives superb and better than all of its rivals? (subjective)

Curious if the tire pressure was set to factory specs, this affects a lot on the feel of how my SF drives.

Review is ok, somewhat too emotional imo. Clickbait titles (n)
It's not clickbait at all. Clickbait suggests I would say something sensationalist in the title and then not deliver in the video. The title perfectly represents what I discuss in the video, and how it is a step back from the pre facelift. People don't seem to understand that clickbait hurts channels A LOT because watch time becomes low, which currently is the #1 metric for successful videos.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@MattBrandCars what where some specific negatives would you say the '21 has?
Base model gets the pre-facelift interior, the suspension tune in Australia has taken a major step back because Hyundai used COVID as an excuse not to tune the car, and the Sorento (here in Australia anyway) represents FAR better value for the exact same car under the skin!

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's not clickbait at all. Clickbait suggests I would say something sensationalist in the title and then not deliver in the video. The title perfectly represents what I discuss in the video, and how it is a step back from the pre facelift. People don't seem to understand that clickbait hurts channels A LOT because watch time becomes low, which currently is the #1 metric for successful videos.
There's a big petition in Korea gaining momentum from many owners and techs. That Smartstream 2.5L engine is a nightmare. Theta III engine family turned out to be as bad if not worse than infamous previous theta 2 engines with their cylinder scorching, oil consumption and carbon build up. Here's Korean video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=2NnT9cUhpH8&feature=emb_logo&ab_channel=%EB%B0%95%EB%B3%91%EC%9D%BC%EC%9D%98%EB%AA%85%EC%9E%A5%EB%B3%B8%EC%83%89 there are English subs. Bottom line is avoid Smartstream 2.5L and either go for Hybrid. PHEV or V6 from Hyundai (those appear to not have any issues and are much better engineered). Every poor soul buying this 2.5L is in for a big headache and surprise down the road when this issue will become widespread. Currently Hyundai is shamelessly trying to hide it and is not admitting it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8znoe80GEs&feature=emb_logo&ab_channel=%EC%98%A4%ED%86%A0%ED%8F%AC%EC%8A%A4%ED%8A%B8AUTOPOST https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/2-5l-smartstream-engine-oil-problems-and-defects-possibly-discovered.673141/ https://www.reddit.com/r/Hyundai/comments/kvzr5z/hyundai_new_engine_serious_defective_25_gasoline/

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,010 Posts
That's frankly bullsh*t. Do you not watch any reviews outside of your home country because specs are different?

At the end of the day, I gave a thorough review of the car across multiple metrics that apply globally.
Your review was simply worthless to non-Aussies. Try to get over critical comments if you want to be a critical reviewer. Lose the profanities too if you aspire to professionalism.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a theory that there is this one car designer that insists on putting the red reflective plastic across the back of the car, and he just moves from manufacturer to manufacturer every few years. I've had this this theory since the 1994 Camry and I always wonder where his work is going to show up next. It looks like Hyundai hired him for the SF facelift. :p Personally I agree with the reviewer that it cheapens the rear of this vehicle as well as every other one that he gets to.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
964 Posts

You are going to need a much thicker skin if you want to be an internet reviewer. Good luck!

·
Registered
'19 Santa Fe SE 2.4L
417 Posts
Too bad we don't get the V6 option in North America. All we get is the 4-bangers that blow up.
Agreed. "No replacement for Displacement" - As they used to say. We had this same discussion on a Ranger Forum about how Turbo Charged I4's are taking over the "NA world".
"If the motor is the "heart" of a car, I would prefer a good strong heart over a small heart with a pacemaker" - Was one analogy made

·
Registered
80 Posts
Agree. As it stands right now - only Hybrid option of Santa Fe is advisable to buy. Any 2.5 is a ticking time bomb. Or go with V6 in Palisade (but it's more expensive).
Have there been any previously known issues with the gamma 1.6L turbo smartstream engine/hybrid engine in the past?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts