Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have be scouring the web to find out what the 2014 sonata will look like and happened upon a Korean dealer's website that shows their 2013. Pics a plenty...so jealous but hopeful that we will get this as our 2014. Enjoy

I believe this is their Limited equivalent

The touchscreen radio with color display and backup camera

Finally an electronic e-brake! Also note the park assist button and hill hold features.

Heated and cooled seats---we probably won't get the cooled seats though

Memory seats...same as the Optima

Notice the three buttons on the right side of the steering wheel. This is the MDPS select button. All of the settings for the rack can be accessed via this button. Note: The gauge cluster is different...this is the Supervision cluster and I am doubtful we will ever get it.

Page is available here if you want to look at more pics. I love the new backlighting scheme. Hope the parts are interchangeable with our YF's cuz I want to swap them ALL!
YF Sonata The Brilliant CVVL PREMIUM | KOREA MOTORZ

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Why are people so ga-ga over an electronic parking brake? I have one on my Fusion and wish I could throw the damned thing out the window. I hate the brake interlock with the thing. Its just one more "nanny" I can do without.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me its the look. While it may be a PITA to operate, it looks more modern like the rest of the car. The foot-operated one that we have in our cars looks like something from the 80's.

It falls in the same category as the number pads on the doors of older Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles. At least on the new ones, they are touch sensitive but up until a couple years ago they looked like tacky add-ons.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Sacrificing function for look; not always a good direction. A button on the console or a pedal somewhere where you don't look all that often?

And they were add ons. They were a remote key fob that was essentially double sided taped on and was combination controlled. LOL!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sacrificing function for look; not always a good direction. A button on the console or a pedal somewhere where you don't look all that often?

And they were add ons. They were a remote key fob that was essentially double sided taped on and was combination controlled. LOL!
Yeah I know. Thats why I have the Prox Key because I wanted the push button start. Because its so hard to put a key in the ignition, right?!

On the parking brake---My issue with the pedal other than the look is I always hit the thing when I get out of the car (I have big feet BTW).

And no not all of those keypads were add ons. I had a 2010 Fusion and it was part of the door (it lit up and everything). Although I remember the guys in the Fusion forum buying the add-on ones and complaining that they didnt work very well.

To each his/her own I guess.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Yeah I know. Thats why I have the Prox Key because I wanted the push button start. Because its so hard to put a key in the ignition, right?!

On the parking brake---My issue with the pedal other than the look is I always hit the thing when I get out of the car (I have big feet BTW).

And no not all of those keypads were add ons. I had a 2010 Fusion and it was part of the door (it lit up and everything). Although I remember the guys in the Fusion forum buying the add-on ones and complaining that they didnt work very well.

To each his/her own I guess.
True to each their own. If they took the time to put it there at LEAST design the button to not look like a parts bin button.

Fusion still has it build into the door so the surface is smooth. I was thinking the mid 200x year Fords where it was a set of button attached to the surfaces (raised button assembly). My 2013 Fusion has it integrated into the door pillar.

Not sure I follow your train of thought on the keyless entry though. I have it on the Sonata and Fusion and will never look back. Nothing like juggling kids and never having to pull the keys out to unlock the door. :D

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
True to each their own. If they took the time to put it there at LEAST design the button to not look like a parts bin button.

Fusion still has it build into the door so the surface is smooth. I was thinking the mid 200x year Fords where it was a set of button attached to the surfaces (raised button assembly). My 2013 Fusion has it integrated into the door pillar.

Not sure I follow your train of thought on the keyless entry though. I have it on the Sonata and Fusion and will never look back. Nothing like juggling kids and never having to pull the keys out to unlock the door. :D
I had those buttons on a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer. Never used them once. On the pros key and push start, I agree would never want to go back. Convenience factor. Fob in pocket or handbag in the case of my wife and you never really have to touch it. Get in, push start and off you go. We could all go back to crank windows if we really don't care about these conveniences.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I had those buttons on a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer. Never used them once. On the pros key and push start, I agree would never want to go back. Convenience factor. Fob in pocket or handbag in the case of my wife and you never really have to touch it. Get in, push start and off you go. We could all go back to crank windows if we really don't care about these conveniences.
Yeah, my boss loves the keypad entry. Myself; I just dont see the point. But it is a feature.

My complaint about the whiz bang electronic parking brake is its yet another driver nanny thats annoying. You have to make sure the main brake is applied prior to engaging or disengaging. To me it is an annoyance that I would gladly give up a "button" to gain a lever back. I am even fond of a well designed parking brake in the console. But the trend is to put everything into a button.

I like innovation and advancement such as I am a huge fan of rear facing cameras. I also like auto dimming mirrors and Nav. Seat memory buttons are awesome too if you share a car a lot. Especially if it will move the seats and mirrors based on which key fob unlocks the car. A parking brake hooked to a button? This one makes no sense to me. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
What's up with the hideous wheels?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, my boss loves the keypad entry. Myself; I just dont see the point. But it is a feature.
The only thing I liked on the old keypads was that if you pressed certain buttons together, it would either lock the car or pop the trunk. Mind you, this was cool prior to every car having keyless entry fobs.

A parking brake hooked to a button? This one makes no sense to me. :D
Actually, its a money saver for Hyundai. The cost of the parking brake assembly (rod, handle/pedal, bolts, etc), cable, and mounts are a lot more than that button, a wire, and a small electric motor. Say its only $2. However, when you can put that across an entire model line with sales of 300000, all of a sudden that is a lot of pure profit.

All before you tack on the mandatory price increase and then its even more.

Believe it or not, advances like these are better because they weigh less, offsetting all of the mandatory safety crap we have to have thanks to Washington.

Its all business, baby!

Side note, I got a chance to try out an electronic e-brake on a VW (Passat, I think). Seems easy enough--put car in park, pull button backward to set and the light comes on on the dash. When you get ready to go, the light flashes as well as the ebrake button is lit up. Push forward and go. Does Ford do theirs differently?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I got the supervision cluster, it's "kinda" cool but a little annoying... because the MPG display is set in hideous colors "blue, yellow, white" and also mine only displays Chinese so I can't even really understand the functions of it.... looks cool but that's about it.....

I like the button e-brake since I sometimes forget to unlock the parking brake when I leave and it kinda kills my leg room I find it is useless....

Best function though is the MDPS setting on the steering wheel..... I want to get one since it's not super expensive and the whole wheel is leather wrapped in comparison to the partially wrapped 12 model one so IF it works it be pretty sweet..... but not sure if it would....

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the supervision cluster, it's "kinda" cool but a little annoying... because the MPG display is set in hideous colors "blue, yellow, white" and also mine only displays Chinese so I can't even really understand the functions of it.... looks cool but that's about it.....
Most of our Kia bretheren with the Optima SX feel the same way about their SuperVision cluster. However the base cluster is so blase that many owners of lower model cars are actively trying to swap them over from wrecked Turbos. (Believe it or not, it works and isn't a hard mod, but the cluster has to be reprogrammed for correct mileage)

Feng, is your car a China domestic model or KDM? Just curious because it looks a little different from the KDM ones that I have seen.

·
Registered
441 Posts
again...this is NOT the 2014 USA model...this is the 2013 KDM Sonata The Brilliant model. Not likely to be any changes over the 2013 to the 2014 model year here. 2015 is the model year they have slated for overhaul.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
again...this is NOT the 2014 USA model...this is the 2013 KDM Sonata The Brilliant model. Not likely to be any changes over the 2013 to the 2014 model year here. 2015 is the model year they have slated for overhaul.
Yes it is not the major overhaul but a refresh. Recall the NF Sonata. 2006-2008 was the "New" model--as in new sheet metal, engines, transmissions, etc. The 2009 and 2010s were the slight refresh (updated interior, new lights, electronics, etc) before the YF came out.

Next year, we will see the 2015 USDM as their 2014 KDM model.

EF sonata was done the same way, but had a sheetmetal change in 2005 vs the 2004. No idea why they did that because the 2004s were decent sellers and by 2005 the XG350 or whatever it was called was out. They looked almost identical and neither sold very well.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
The only thing I liked on the old keypads was that if you pressed certain buttons together, it would either lock the car or pop the trunk. Mind you, this was cool prior to every car having keyless entry fobs.
You can still do that. However like you said I have a fob so I dont remember the key sequence to do it. Nice thing about it in MFT is you can program another number to function the same and not have to use the non-changeable factory number.

Side note, I got a chance to try out an electronic e-brake on a VW (Passat, I think). Seems easy enough--put car in park, pull button backward to set and the light comes on on the dash. When you get ready to go, the light flashes as well as the ebrake button is lit up. Push forward and go. Does Ford do theirs differently?
You can pull it up to engage it without brake. But it seems to be touchy (Or I am impatient, could easily go either way) but you have to hold the main brake to disengage it and I seem to have issues with either getting the brake pedal down or the push the EBrake button firmly all the way down to get it to disengage.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
you can call me Pat.... actually there are SOME differences between the KDM and the CDM model.

My car is a CDM model, built in Beijing so it's china made and not Korea made but with imported parts.... like basically any car sold here (Q1,Q3,Q5,1,3,5,C,E, and now S class, are also made here)

Basically the only engines we get are the underpowered 2.0 (170hp) and 2.4 (190hp)

we DO get some of the KDM functions like the Supervision cluster, heated/cooled front seats (only heated rear), memory seats, EPS,MDPS, VSM, HAC, ESS, AUTO folding mirrors, and the Power folding mirrors, I think we also get the rain sensor wipers........ but that's about it as it is now...

We do NOT have the button brake, cooled glove compartment, auto parallel parking (would be awesome), touch screen radio, Blue link (we never got that)

basically.... we get some things you guys want.... but you have the thing we all want.... the T engine!!!

I think the 2014 K5 Optima will have bigger changes than the YF sonata... completely different tail lights is one of the biggest noticeable changes to the exterior and the quad brick fog lamps, but inside it seems they raised the center console to make it higher (which I think feels better!) and it seems to have an extended wheelbase.... so it's longer now.... but yet again...... still no T model in sight.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you can call me Pat.... actually there are SOME differences between the KDM and the CDM model.
My car is a CDM model, built in Beijing so it's china made and not Korea made but with imported parts.... like basically any car sold here (Q1,Q3,Q5,1,3,5,C,E, and now S class, are also made here)

Basically the only engines we get are the underpowered 2.0 (170hp) and 2.4 (190hp)

we DO get some of the KDM functions like the Supervision cluster, heated/cooled front seats (only heated rear), memory seats, EPS,MDPS, VSM, HAC, ESS, AUTO folding mirrors, and the Power folding mirrors, I think we also get the rain sensor wipers........ but that's about it as it is now...

We do NOT have the button brake, cooled glove compartment, auto parallel parking (would be awesome), touch screen radio, Blue link (we never got that)

basically.... we get some things you guys want.... but you have the thing we all want.... the T engine!!!

I think the 2014 K5 Optima will have bigger changes than the YF sonata... completely different tail lights is one of the biggest noticeable changes to the exterior and the quad brick fog lamps, but inside it seems they raised the center console to make it higher (which I think feels better!) and it seems to have an extended wheelbase.... so it's longer now.... but yet again...... still no T model in sight.
Drooling at all of those options...:w00t:

The only reason you don't get the 2.0T over there is taxation. I would think PRC is like Europe, where cars are taxed based on displacement. While the 2.0 T is only 2.0 liters, that is the N/A displacement. The turbo probably pushes it over the line for taxes, making it too expensive to hit sales targets.

But yes, its a sweeeeeeeet engine and I want one as well!

I had not heard that the Optima/K5 was going longer in wheelbase since they have the K7/Cadenza to fill that spot. I bet that will be an Asia/Pacific model only, like the i40 that we cannot get over here.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Drooling at all of those options...:w00t:

The only reason you don't get the 2.0T over there is taxation. I would think PRC is like Europe, where cars are taxed based on displacement. While the 2.0 T is only 2.0 liters, that is the N/A displacement. The turbo probably pushes it over the line for taxes, making it too expensive to hit sales targets.

But yes, its a sweeeeeeeet engine and I want one as well!

I had not heard that the Optima/K5 was going longer in wheelbase since they have the K7/Cadenza to fill that spot. I bet that will be an Asia/Pacific model only, like the i40 that we cannot get over here.
lol, well they have the T engine for any and every other car .......just not the Hyundai - -ll even Buick has a T model!!! Personally I love the design on the sonata and am very proud on how mines looks but the engine ESPECIALLY in the heat (40+ degrees the last two weeks here) saps whatever power the little N/a has.... so im sad

But im curious to see what the '14 model will offer.... they just released the '13 model here with updated tails and the LED drl, and fully wrapped wheel.... but no updated stereo, no steering setting, no power brake....

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I would wager you will see few, if any of those features on a US model and decontenting them is how they stay competitve here. Remember that Hyundais are a lot more expensive in the home market. One such example: an Elantra in Korea costs as much as a Azera does here and a Sonata as much as a Genesis. The Equus? Heh...over $120,000 if you do the exchange rate.

The US market Elantra is missing a large number of KDM Avante features including a heated steering wheel, rain sensing wipers, adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, parking distance control, LED taillights, HID headlights and more.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would wager you will see few, if any of those features on a US model and decontenting them is how they stay competitve here.
Oh I am sure we will not get all of those features. However, just looking at what the lower end models have (adjustable steering, panoramic sunroofs, etc) we will probably get some of them. My bet is memory seat, power passenger seat, and the adjustable steering. Cooled seats maybe but I think Kia has the market on that.

Doesn't matter to me anyway--as long as the parts are available from Korea and I can get them into the USA, my car will have them.

Besides, my SE didn't come from the factory with heated seats and LED interior lamps...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts