Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got home from work today and spent a good 5 hours fully detailing the car in preparation for tomorrow. I washed with Dawn to strip all of the old sealant, clayed the entire car using a Mother's California Gold Claybar and Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe as lube, then finished up with Autoglym HD Wax. I remember Rich recommending this wax a while back and while it's more expensive it's downright awesome and hands down THE BEST WAX I have ever used and I've been through 28 cars in my 27 years on this Earth!

I washed, clayed, and waxed the door jams, rocker panels, everything. The pictures do not do this detail job justice. I'll have plenty more tomorrow to show it in the sun and studio. These were taken just after midnight tonight but I'll let the pics do the talking:

Now for the results:

·
22,788 Posts
Nicely done!!! You're more than welcome, my friend. For a moment there, I thought I was looking at Ingrid! LMAO The AutoGlym HD really makes the white colors jump; not an easy task. I can't imagine how deep the shine would look on the red Charger afterwards.

On my wife's graphite gray Tucson, you can brush your teeth in the reflection. We did my son's 4-door black Tundra about a month ago. The shine was so deep, you were afraid to touch it for fear of falling in. LOL Best part is it stays looking like this for months.

I can't wait to see how it looks in the photo shoot when some REAL pro's with big-time cameras and equipment get their shot at her!

·
22,788 Posts
Xion, there's no doubt of the quality. It's the initial cash outlay that spins your head. But a little bit goes a loooog way. Paste wax only needs a very, very thin layer to work. Too much is waste!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
yeah amazing results. I haven't washed my car in the last 3 weeks, it's not me :( this weekend I will use the clay bar and wax it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

·
22,788 Posts
Found this on Amazon, fellas... AutoGlym HD Wax. Cheapest I've seen, so far. For those that are in the market.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
AutoGlym Noobie!

Found this on Amazon, fellas... AutoGlym HD Wax. Cheapest I've seen, so far. For those that are in the market.

Autoglym High Definition Wax : Amazon.com : Automotive
Thanks Okie! Just ordered up a bunch of their products! Excited to see it on the Sonata. You are correct in the initial order being an investment. How is the "Instant Tyre Dressing?" I ordered a bottle with the hope that it is not the Unnatural super shiny finish.

Thanks again! I hope like the ZZ Top song, My Futures so Bright, I gotta wear Shades! :cool:

·
22,788 Posts
Have never tried their other products, I'm sad to say. If they are half as good as the wax, they should be spectacular. I'm still looking for that "perfect" tire dressing. There are so many offerings on the store shelves with a variety of "self-endorsed greatness" by the manufacturer, you just don't know who or which one to believe. I'll eventually arrive at a conclusion after I've tried various brands. I even thought, once, of waxing the sidewalls and buffing them to a high luster. That's when I convinced myself I should either: 1. Get a life, 2. Come back to reality, or 3. See a shrink! I have an appointment this week @ 10 am. :grin:

Talked to a guy yesterday that uses this trick when applying tire shine products: Stick playing cards in the edges between the tire bead and the rim around the perimeter of the wheel. Spray, allow to set up, remove the cards. Not too keen on the time it would take to do all of that. By the time I get to this step on Saturday mornings, I'm ready to call it quits and go do something else. "Too much of a good thing..."

·
Registered
93 Posts
Speaking of tire dressing. I also never cared for the oily, gleamy look of the stuff. Yet, cleaned and manicured tires/wheels makes the rest of the car shine. NOT doing the tires/wheels makes washing the rest of the car a total waste of time (but people do it).

Somethng I've done for years is apply the dressing FIRST onto the dry, yet-to-be-washed tires and let it set in while I proceed to wash the rest of the car. Then - wash the tires/wheels LAST - which removes the residual and excessive coating of the tire dressing. The tires then look fresh and new without the overdone artificial oily shine.

Hey OkieRich, I'd priced the AutoGlym HD Wax the other day on Amazon. I saw the two kits they have there - both with a 5.3 oz tub of the paste. However, on another thread you'd alluded to a far heftier price to get started. So my question is, what other products of theirs do you suggest using along with the paste wax?

·
22,788 Posts
I think that was Jon (read above posts) that bought an assortment of AutoGlym products. Only product I've tried is the High Definition wax. It is, in two words or less, "Habit Forming!"

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Habit forming

I think that was Jon (read above posts) that bought an assortment of AutoGlym products. Only product I've tried is the High Definition wax. It is, in two words or less, "Habit Forming!"
Spot On Rich! I haven't received my first order and yet I ordered the package of 8 Polish Cloths, the Super Resin Polish, Interior Shampoo and a Mothers Wheel Brush! Who's up for a Detail Party? :w00t:

ecdusit, about the Instant Tyre Dressing, a video on the AG site implied either a shiny or matte finish was possible. It didn't describe the process but I will study, apply and report, upon receipt. (Estimated delivery: Friday, August 16th.) I prefer the matte finish on my shoes!

Only thing missing, the clay! Never tried or even heard of it before the forums. How does it work? What does it do? :puzzled:

·
Registered
93 Posts
:angry: AAAHHH! I hate that I had tamped out more of a response than this one on my keyboard and then it all disappeared in the blink of an eye! Such as it is with computers!

Only thing missing, the clay! Never tried or even heard of it before the forums. How does it work? What does it do? :puzzled:
I'm with you there. Maybe a rubbing compound with a V-E-R-Y mild abrasive to get ALL the bad stuff off the car's finish before waxing? I don't know...

When I first read it here, it sounded like a feminine product for doing facials. BUT...when you want her looking good, you gotta put forth the effort.
The OP here used "clay bar" from Meguiar's as a cheaper alternative to AG's. I'll probably try that first...

Insofar as the tire dressing is concerned. I'll be checking for your experience with it. My description of how I use the stuff is my own technique, not something I'd read somewhere. I haven't bought any in awhile, but it's possible that I might be happier with the newer products they sell nowadays. However, judging by the tire dressing they used on the car I bought two weeks ago, I'm guessing NOT.

·
22,788 Posts
I recommend the clay bar over compounding. Unless you are skilled with year's experience at this sort of thing. Not me! Only thing i've ever compounded was IV drips at work and "unresolved issues."

I'll clay bar only if that's my two choices. Read the instructions and follow them, religiously. Too many great comments posted in this forum from members applauding their clay bar results.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts