Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought to myself, "he's not going to stop, he going to hit me" bang!

Guy blew though a residential stop doing at least 60 mph, crossed 3 lanes of traffic and struck the near the A pillar on the drivers side of my month old Black on Black 2011 Sonata SE.

I walked away and he didn't. I did go to the ER for a severly sprained right knee (must have hit the dash) and have hairline fractures of the "wings" in L 2,3 & 4. but all in all the air bag pre-tensioners and other saftey gear left me virtual un-scratched.

As soon as the insurance is straightened out I'll have to buy another.

Thanks Hyundai.

CC

·
Registered
268 Posts
QUOTE (CCSE @ Jun 3 2010, 09:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329383
I thought to myself, "he's not going to stop, he going to hit me" bang!

Guy blew though a residential stop doing at least 60 mph, crossed 3 lanes of traffic and struck the near the A pillar on the drivers side of my month old Black on Black 2011 Sonata SE.

I walked away and he didn't. I did go to the ER for a severly sprained right knee (must have hit the dash) and have hairline fractures of the "wings" in L 2,3 & 4. but all in all the air bag pre-tensioners and other saftey gear left me virtual un-scratched.

As soon as the insurance is straightened out I'll have to buy another.

Thanks Hyundai.

CC
wow thank god your ok!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (OMEGA_WEAPON @ Jun 3 2010, 09:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329404
WTF!? The other guy died? What kind of car was he in? I'm glad you're ok, be careful out there guys!

I guess I should have expanded. No he didn't die, but he was on his back in a fetal position and in a lot of pain. He apologized for hitting me and the last I saw of him he was strapped to a board being loaded into an ambulance.

As far as what kind of car, I think it was a chevy nova or someother kind of small chey. The sheriff's information given to me just shows a 1998 chevy. His car was a 100 feet or so down the middle of the street and I had no desire or inclination to examine it. Until you've had this happen you can't imangine the state of shock, disbelief and confusion you're in.

Once is enough I hope.

CC

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (CCSE @ Jun 3 2010, 09:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329408
I guess I should have expanded. No he didn't die, but he was on his back in a fetal position and in a lot of pain. He apologized for hitting me and the last I saw of him he was strapped to a board being loaded into an ambulance.

As far as what kind of car, I think it was a chevy nova or someother kind of small chey. The sheriff's information given to me just shows a 1998 chevy. His car was a 100 feet or so down the middle of the street and I had no desire or inclination to examine it. Until you've had this happen you can't imangine the state of shock, disbelief and confusion you're in.

Once is enough I hope.

CC
Most likely a Cavalier. They didn't make Chevy Novas in 98.

·
1,914 Posts
Wow, glad to you hear you are ok relatively speaking. It's good to know that the Sonata holds up well, but that just sucks that you only had your car a month.

Will you be purchasing the exact same car?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I guess the government crash test results are pretty accurate. Glad you are ok.

I hope the insurance company is kind to you. Always remember that you can negotiate with them if they try to low-ball you. They might claim more depreciation on the car than what you would think is normal. This happened to me back in the 80's with my first Hyundai. It got stolen and became a total loss when it was found stripped beyond repair a few days later. The insurance adjuster low-balled me saying the car was depreciated by about 15-18 hundred dollars. I maintained my position that it was a brand new car (six months old) and that I could not go and replace it for what they thought was the depreciated value on a brand new car. We settled for about .25 a mile as depreciation which was favorable to me. So just be prepared is all I'm saying! Hopefully it wont be like that for you! :innocent:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Glad to hear you are alright and the Sonata was safe. However, you need to be careful posting this information after an accident. Needless-to-say, you are most likely going to find that the insurance company is going to wind up giving you about $19-$20k for your Sonata if it is totaled. Unfortunately, you are the one that pays that price because this is how the law works. If you owe more on the car than they total it for, without gap insurance, you are liable. The only way to cover your losses is in a lawsuit seeking damages to you personally, not financially. Your injuries have to show necessary punitive damages to warrant a large enough settlement to cover your attorneys, the loss in the value of your car, and enough to cover all of the taxes. In rough estimates, you are looking in the neighborhood of a $25k-$30k settlement to get about $7k-$10k of money in your pocket.

You have negligence proven if in fact the other driver did apologize. You just need to be very careful in what you do in your every day life. His insurance company already has Private Investigators filming and photographing you. If you think I am joking, talk to an attorney. The insurance is gathering their information to defend themselves against any lawsuit you may bring. In other words, if you are out mowing your lawn after the accident, they have it on tape. It would be difficult to prove the "sprained" knee and hair line fractures are causing any pain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (TheMoose @ Jun 3 2010, 10:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329434
OFT. No one thinks it will ever happen to them. Glad you are ok, but hey, at least now you can get a the Limited you really wanted in the first place! I keed, I keed :grin:

You're a mind reader. I would have got the Ltd, but I wanted Black and the SE was sitting there on the dealers lot, all shinny and....well you know the rest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your concern.

BTW I'm retired now but was a General Adjuster in San Diego for 25 years. I think I'll be OK with the insurance.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Bingo Steve @ Jun 4 2010, 06:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329522
I guess the government crash test results are pretty accurate. Glad you are ok.

I hope the insurance company is kind to you. Always remember that you can negotiate with them if they try to low-ball you. They might claim more depreciation on the car than what you would think is normal. This happened to me back in the 80's with my first Hyundai. It got stolen and became a total loss when it was found stripped beyond repair a few days later. The insurance adjuster low-balled me saying the car was depreciated by about 15-18 hundred dollars. I maintained my position that it was a brand new car (six months old) and that I could not go and replace it for what they thought was the depreciated value on a brand new car. We settled for about .25 a mile as depreciation which was favorable to me. So just be prepared is all I'm saying! Hopefully it wont be like that for you! :innocent:

QUOTE (BigRedNole @ Jun 4 2010, 06:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329523
Glad to hear you are alright and the Sonata was safe. However, you need to be careful posting this information after an accident. Needless-to-say, you are most likely going to find that the insurance company is going to wind up giving you about $19-$20k for your Sonata if it is totaled. Unfortunately, you are the one that pays that price because this is how the law works. If you owe more on the car than they total it for, without gap insurance, you are liable. The only way to cover your losses is in a lawsuit seeking damages to you personally, not financially. Your injuries have to show necessary punitive damages to warrant a large enough settlement to cover your attorneys, the loss in the value of your car, and enough to cover all of the taxes. In rough estimates, you are looking in the neighborhood of a $25k-$30k settlement to get about $7k-$10k of money in your pocket.

You have negligence proven if in fact the other driver did apologize. You just need to be very careful in what you do in your every day life. His insurance company already has Private Investigators filming and photographing you. If you think I am joking, talk to an attorney. The insurance is gathering their information to defend themselves against any lawsuit you may bring. In other words, if you are out mowing your lawn after the accident, they have it on tape. It would be difficult to prove the "sprained" knee and hair line fractures are causing any pain.

my salesman told me that all new Hyundais come with Gap insurance by default...I got it with mine w/o asking for it

·
Registered
143 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing OK and we all picked a safe auto. If you get your hands on any of the insurance pics of your car please post one. I would love to see it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 4 2010, 06:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329534
my salesman told me that all new Hyundais come with Gap insurance by default...I got it with mine w/o asking for it
Whaaaa? They didn't even charge you? If this is true, did I get scammed? If this is true, I'm going back to my dealership and demanding a refund.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Proprioceptive @ Jun 4 2010, 09:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329548
Whaaaa? They didn't even charge you? If this is true, did I get scammed? If this is true, I'm going back to my dealership and demanding a refund.
if you paid under $10/mo I wouldn't complain.....but if you are paying more, I'd raise ****!

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 4 2010, 07:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329550
if you paid under $10/mo I wouldn't complain.....but if you are paying more, I'd raise ****!
So they threw yours in no charge?? Or did they add it on your contract without telling you? How much did you end up paying for it?

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Phil the Canuck @ Jun 4 2010, 10:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329570
Did you lease? If not, he lied.
yes I did lease

QUOTE (Proprioceptive @ Jun 4 2010, 11:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329603
So they threw yours in no charge?? Or did they add it on your contract without telling you? How much did you end up paying for it?
no charge (part of my lease) but he said it applied no matter what? perhaps I was too stoned when I was listening (it was hot, I wanted my car so I could go home and cool off lol )

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 4 2010, 09:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329608
yes I did lease

no charge (part of my lease) but he said it applied no matter what? perhaps I was too stoned when I was listening (it was hot, I wanted my car so I could go home and cool off lol )
Ahhh... that explains it. I didn't realize you'd leased. Thanks though!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (CCSE @ Jun 4 2010, 06:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329529
Thanks for all your concern.

BTW I'm retired now but was a General Adjuster in San Diego for 25 years. I think I'll be OK with the insurance.
Then you know all the tricks. Every time they make you a low ball offer, you should say "OWWW! That offer
makes my neck hurt!" :grin:

All kidding aside, I'm glad you're OK. Before rigorous testing and side air bags, a 35mph T-bone into the
A pillar area could easily be fatal.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts