Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
92 Posts
Mine has alerted me to a couple texts and the prompt on screen has a button to read the text. I haven't pressed READ yet but it should have options for a response after it reads the incoming text. (You may have to enable this in the menu somewhere.)

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus (+Tech Package)
406 Posts
Is there a way for the sonata to read and respond to texts?
Yes, but I can only speak for my SEL Plus with the larger 10" NAV system. Is that what you have? There has been discussion of certain hands-free calling features missing from the smaller 8" unit. Maybe that includes text messages.

It works through Bluetooth on your phone. It's unreliable for me but others have said it works fine.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited / 2020 Santa Fe Limited / 64 VW Bug
24 Posts
The wife had a 2019 Santa Fe, and if she was using Apple / Android car play, she could do everything by voice commands. I inquired about this to the dealer on the new Sonata and they said it works the same way. Haven't tried it yet, but it makes sense.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can confirm it works fine with Apple Car play. Assuming you mean a text comes in, you tap the notification, it reads it and then prompts if you want to reply by voice (transcription).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok, just sat in the car and here is what I found:
1. On Apple / Android car play the message notification will pop up on the screen and then the voice will tell you that you have a message and ask if you want to play message. then after it says the message, it will ask for a reply. You then speak your message. It will repeat the message and ask if you want to send or redo it.
2. On Bluetooth, the message notification will pop up on the screen, and you have to press play. The voice will play the message. But you can only reply with one of the pre-made responses. Unless you hit the voice command button and tell the voice to send a message. (Check me folks and correct me if I missed something.)
I'm kind of bummed. I was excited about the Apple / Android play, but 1. I cant seem to play any of my music downloaded to my phone through it, 2. I can't use, Apple / Android play AND use a SSD drive of music. Its one or the other ( but the SSD music works and sounds great), 3. Apple / Android play gives me Waze, the ability to respond vocally to a text, and for me, that's it. Not sure if I'll use it much as the BT should suffice for every day usage. But nice to have.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Responding to your #1 complaint about Android Auto, that you can't play music that you have downloaded to your phone. All you have to do is download/install one of the music apps that are compatible with android auto. I use JetAudio as one example and it works fine for playing music that is stored on my phone. It also has its own equalizer so you can find an EQ setting that sounds best with your car and set it to that before you start it up for your drive.

I also hate the fact that you cannot access your USB drive while in Android Auto.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh, well that will work. Right now it only shows Google play, and it doesn't seem to play anything but web based. Well, if this JetAudio works, I'll get a 512G micro SD card, dump all of my music on it, and drive even happier.
Thanks Fragile

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
I don't know if things have changed with the infotainment system of the 2020 but on my 2015 Sonata the tone controls do not affect Android Auto. No way to change anything bass and treble-wise while using AA. That is another thing that I wish it had.

Another app i use for playing radio stations that i like is called OpenRadio. I use it usually just on longer trips where I go beyond the range of the radio stations where I live. You search for radio stations you like and add them to your favorites. If your station is not in the database it uses, you can manually add your station to this database.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just tested it in the 2020 Sonata and it worked perfectly!!! Not being able to fine tune in AA is unfortunate, but at least it works.
You, sir are the man of the hour.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 Santa Fe that I purchased on 12/31/19. When I got the car I could read the message. Then, it stopped working, now, it's working again and says unavailable while driving, when you are in Park you can read the message. This is beyond useless, when you can't use a function while driving you use your phone.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a 2020 Santa Fe that I purchased on 12/31/19. When I got the car I could read the message. Then, it stopped working, now, it's working again and says unavailable while driving, when you are in Park you can read the message. This is beyond useless, when you can't use a function while driving you use your phone.
Sometimes I can send text messages created by speaking into the microphone when driving, other times I can't. Not sure why it works sometimes and not others.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
i just might be the only one left in the world who doesnt text. i hardly use my iphone, i make about 5 calls a year. i keep it plugged in to the car mostly for waze

·
Registered
56 Posts
You have AVN5 V1, the Palisade and Sonata launched AVN5 V2. Huge difference in features. My previous car was a '18 Elantra GT with AVN5 V1 which is the same as what's in your Santa Fe. I could never read incoming messages while driving, only have them read back to me.

The Sonata reads incoming messages really well and does a fantastic job at accurately processing dictated outgoing messages; much better than the Android Auto app where I had to "change message" three times before it would even get simple things right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts