Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
have put in another engine in my iload d4cb , got diesel coming out lines to injectors., new glow plugs , voltage fine to glow plugs, new fuel filter. , just cant seem to start it, did a scan and have p0192 error , i checked the 3 pin fpr connector and have + 5v , +5v and ground, is this correct ? is there a way to test the fbr by itself with a DMM ?
mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
have put in another engine in my iload d4cb , got diesel coming out lines to injectors., new glow plugs , voltage fine to glow plugs, new fuel filter. , just cant seem to start it, did a scan and have p0192 error , i checked the 3 pin fpr connector and have + 5v , +5v and ground, is this correct ? is there a way to test the fbr by itself with a DMM ?
mark

i should have said there is NO diesel flow to injectors , maybe only a tiny dribble every now an then. any ideas ?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,954 Posts
Hi Mark.

Your open circuit RPS voltages sound OK to me, but you really need to test the sensor signal voltage with the sensor connected. Obviously, the sensor can't produce a signal if it's not plugged into the harness.

I've never done any work on your particular engine, but generally the center terminal on Hyundai sensors is the signal wire. You need to use a pin/needle to back probe the center wire on the sensor connector, then connect your voltmeter to the pin so you can monitor the signal voltage. With the key on/engine off you should see approx 0.5V output from the sensor. During engine crank, the voltage should increase as pressure in the rail builds. On a CRDi engine, the PCM wont start to inject fuel until there is about 1V output from the RPS. If that voltage is never achieved because pressure isn't building in the rail (or isn't seen to be achieved by the PCM because there is a problem with the sensor wiring) there will be no fuel injected, resulting in a non start.

You might find the info in THIS POST helpful.

Scottie.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mark.

Your open circuit RPS voltages sound OK to me, but you really need to test the sensor signal voltage with the sensor connected. Obviously, the sensor can't produce a signal if it's not plugged into the harness.

I've never done any work on your particular engine, but generally the center terminal on Hyundai sensors is the signal wire. You need to use a pin/needle to back probe the center wire on the sensor connector, then connect your voltmeter to the pin so you can monitor the signal voltage. With the key on/engine off you should see approx 0.5V output from the sensor. During engine crank, the voltage should increase as pressure in the rail builds. On a CRDi engine, the PCM wont start to inject fuel until there is about 1V output from the RPS. If that voltage is never achieved because pressure isn't building in the rail (or isn't seen to be achieved by the PCM because there is a problem with the sensor wiring) there will be no fuel injected, resulting in a non start.

Scottie.

ok, i did a DMM voltage check with plug on the RPS, ignition on , engine not running, ( wont run at moment anyways... lol ) , , get 5 volts and about 8 to 15 mv reading on the other two pins, i had a look at that post , ( engine was from a getz...) they have two sensors in the diesel fuel rail , rps and a drv , there is no drv in the fuel rail on mine, weird thing is , i been looking at iload diesel fuel rails online and some show a rail with a drv and some without both for d4cb engines to suit a iload...

mark

·
Registered
16,954 Posts
ok, i did a DMM voltage check with plug on the RPS, ignition on , engine not running...get 5 volts and about 8 to 15 mv reading on the other two pins
OK, that's obviously wrong.

So, there are two possible reasons I can think off for the low voltage on the signal wire. Either the sensor is faulty, or the signal wire is shorted to ground. A short to ground seems unlikely though because you had 5V on the signal wire when the sensor was disconnected...right? So it really has to be a faulty sensor in this case.

turbo2.4 said:
weird thing is , i been looking at iload diesel fuel rails online and some show a rail with a drv and some without both for d4cb engines to suit a iload
There are probably two different engine management systems used on the D4CB engine, and not all management systems use a DRV to control rail pressure which might explain why some rails have one and some don't. The two diesel management systems I've come across on Hyundai cars are Bosch and Delphi. Bosch is by far the most common one and has a DRV. I've only seen the Delphi system on the 2.9 CRDi engine up 'til now. The Delphi system doesn't have a DRV. It uses fuel spill from the injectors to control rail pressure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, that's obviously wrong.

So, there are two possible reasons I can think off for the low voltage on the signal wire. Either the sensor is faulty, or the signal wire is shorted to ground. A short to ground seems unlikely though because you had 5V on the signal wire when the sensor was disconnected...right? So it really has to be a faulty sensor in this case.

There are probably two different engine management systems used on the D4CB engine, and not all management systems use a DRV to control rail pressure which might explain why some rails have one and some don't. The two diesel management systems I've come across on Hyundai cars are Bosch and Delphi. Bosch is by far the most common one and has a DRV. I've only seen the Delphi system on the 2.9 CRDi engine up 'til now. The Delphi system doesn't have a DRV. It uses fuel spill from the injectors to control rail pressure.

hi, - the RPS has the pins labelled inside the connector , 1 2 3. i got my dmm and took some measurements with the harness plug off , the readings drifted up abit ( kinda weird...) and the following readings are approx , where they stabilized / slowed down : ( red and black are dmm test leads ) 1 2 3 , are pins.,

red 1 black 3 22.83 k
black1 red 3 23.4 k

black 2 red 3 5.4 m
red 2 black 3 4.58 m

red 1 black 2 6.8 m
black 1 red 2 5.3 m

i took some readings of another RPS .from a sorrento my inlaw had sitting around..

reading on pins 1 and 3 23.48k same reading with dmm leads swapped around,

red on 3 and black on 2 , reading of 18.35 m , swapped leads around no reading..
put red on 1 and black on 2 got reading of 18.29 m , no reading when i swapped the leads around.

now i presume the sorrento sensor is fine ? i`m not sure what the reading on a good sensor is....

mark

·
Registered
16,954 Posts
i`m not sure what the reading on a good sensor is....
I've no idea what the resistance readings should be, and that isn't a test they suggest in the manual so Hyundai don't publish any figures for it.

But what you do have is voltage figures from your car that you can compare to the Sorrento. So why not disconnect the Sorrento sensor, switch the ignition on and measure the voltages on the sensor's harness connector and see if you have two 5V and a ground like you had on your car. Then reconnect it and see if you have one 5V and two grounds like your car had. But I bet you'll find there is one 5V, one 0.5V and one ground on the Sorrento.

If the voltage inputs on your car match the Sorrento but the output is different then it really has to be the sensor that's failed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no voltage to injectors.

I've no idea what the resistance readings should be, and that isn't a test they suggest in the manual so Hyundai don't publish any figures for it.

But what you do have is voltage figures from your car that you can compare to the Sorrento. So why not disconnect the Sorrento sensor, switch the ignition on and measure the voltages on the sensor's harness connector and see if you have two 5V and a ground like you had on your car. Then reconnect it and see if you have one 5V and two grounds like your car had. But I bet you'll find there is one 5V, one 0.5V and one ground on the Sorrento.

If the voltage inputs on your car match the Sorrento but the output is different then it really has to be the sensor that's failed.

hi, havent got the sorrento to check... BUT what i did do is power up seperately the solenoid on injector pump with a battery , then got plenty of diesel out fitting on injectors..... then i got hold of a noid light and put that on the electrical connector , no voltage pulse to injector ... what can i check now ?

·
Registered
16,954 Posts
then i got hold of a noid light and put that on the electrical connector , no voltage pulse to injector
As I explained before, you wont get any voltage pulse at the injectors if the voltage output from the rail pressure sensor is wrong.

And you'll probably blow your noid light if you connect it to a working CRD injector anyway. They work at a much higher voltage (60~80V) than the petrol injectors the light was designed to work with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, just now changed the fuel pressure sensor , ALL ( 2 ?) error codes gone , and injectors pulsing. it kinda wants to start now , close , but no cigar..... and the noid light is flashing.... i couldnt work out how injectors operate at 6o plus volts , when battery is only 12v, did a bit of research , and found out there a type of voltage multiplier with capacitors to increase voltage... ok..
if i didnt code the new injectors would that stop it from starting. ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
D4CB not starting , but made a tiny progress....

right , i put in another fuel pressure sensor , now doin the checks on the sensor every thing is in spec... , all error codes have gone away and not come back, even after trying to start it for a while... !!!

the engine kinda seems like it wants to start a little , out of 100% for starting, i`d say i`d give it 15 to 20 %....
not much at all but at least its a start....lol.....
took the injectors out ( all brand new ones) and noticed that all of them where still really clean except for one , which was black...no 3 cylinder.

kinda weird i reckon , i think for some reason it was possibly trying to fire only on that one,,.,,,

anything to check ?

·
Registered
16,954 Posts
Have you tried spraying a little starting fluid in the air intake to see if it will run on that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
did you ever get to the bottom of this proplem I have 2013 hyundia h1 2.5 common rail with all the same proplems and have been pulling my hair out to get to the bottom. Will almost not run on carb choke cleaner either

·
Registered
8 Posts
hello
is it possible for the rpm to be reading on my scan tool but the crank sensor not be sending signal to the ecm??

·
Registered
16,954 Posts
is it possible for the rpm to be reading on my scan tool but the crank sensor not be sending signal to the ecm??
I think that is highly unlikely.
When you use the carb cleaner does it attempt to start at all?

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
8 Posts
No it doesn't had over heated the engine spoiled the head gasket so replaced head gasket, ground the valves , and fresh injectors for it started it ran very poorly for about 20 seconds died and wont start again no ecm codes fuel rail pressure 3000 give or take slightly

·
Registered
16,954 Posts
Where did you spray the fluid? Into the big air hose at the air filter housing, or directly into the inlet manifold?

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

1 - 20 of 29 Posts