Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well all of my love affair with the Sonata SE has come via research and (passing by the dealr) visuals. Well today while driving my girl told me to finally give it a test drive. So i stopped by the dealer and gave it a test drive. Needless to say i loved it. While driving with the sales man some figures were thrown back and fourth and i could see his reluctance in budging on the price. While I was able to get a 24,5000 out the door from him , he would not budge more. Stating that the demand was high and keeping them on the lot was hard. He said that 65 percent that enter the dealer are looking for an SE or end up getting one after entering looking for a GLS. He only had 4 in stock at the time.3 of them had options while only one had none. Anyway to the juice of the story

After cpming back from the test drive, My girl said give this one a test drive. I looked and she wanted me to TD a Genesis coupe. I said what the **** and gave it a TD. OMG!!!!!! I fell in love! I hit a stop sign and hit the gas. The 2.0 turbo had the wheels spinning before the traction control kicked in. The car responded like an animal. I could only imagine what the 3.8/6 cyl feels like. But anyway I loved the genesis, the exhaust note was something from heaven. I felt like the man in it! Now Im lost , confused, torn!!!! Help me! Lol. Now on the Genesis they went all the way down to 22,900 out the door all fees included. I know i could probably get them down even further! probably another 5-700. HELP!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
The Genesis is a sweet car! If you do not need the 4 doors, why not? You sound like you are really liking the it more, but don't want to admit it to yourself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well buddy you are not the only one with a big dilemma.

First I just drove the Genesis Coupe 2.0 T. I love the engine the way it takes off, plenty of power, great visibility front and back. Suspension is stiff and the sound of the exhaust is awesome but I don't like the little blue display in the middle of the car. I find it to be unreadable on a sunny day, and why do I need it? Also there is a big black square in between the rpm and speedo (its probably in use on the 4 door genesis but here is blackout out by some plastic) The nav is too low for my taste but its in the same location as the lexus is 250. The trunk is big for that size car but the entry to is so narrow that I cant see a lot of things fitting in there.Its just too narrow.
Overall I think its a great car now on to sonata.
I drove the Sonata Limited (loaded). Love the space inside much more then Coupe , nav is higher then in coupe like that too, BUT the steering feels much less sporty and its no where near the coupe. It feels like a regular 4 door car which that what it is but I would love to see the coupe steering into the sonata. Obviously its not as fast as the Coupe but maybe turbo will be.

With all that being said I think I have to wait for the Turbo version and see how that thing drives. I think that Turbo might be the best of both worlds , fast like the coupe but it will have the 4 doors and plenty of space.

The only question I have is how the Turbo going to handle all that power if its a front wheel drive car (usually those fast cars are rear wheel drive like the coupe and bmw's and others.?????

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you don't have kids and booster seats to deal with, I don't see why you should consider sonata. Its a family car after all, Genesis Coupe is a sports car with Rear wheel drive. If you don't have kids its a no brainer you should get genesis with 3.8 liter v6 lol.
In a major comparison by car and driver, genesis coupe finish second after the 2011 mustang and ahead of camaro and challenger. The reason blue oval finished first is the new 300+ hp v6 in the new mustang.
If your on this forum, then you must know that sonata owners are dealing with transmission problems, 6 speed automatic blow up bang and stuck in 4th gear.

I had no choice in the matter as women in my family can't drive stick. :bigemo_harabe_net-01:

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
When I get distracted in the middle of a major decision like this, I usually give myself time to cool off and then I almost always go back to my first choice. In this case, the Sonata.

We instinctively know what's best for us... we just think about it too long, and listen to too many opinions.

·
Registered
817 Posts
BuCwiLd -

There must be a reason why you were looking at a Sonata class automobile in the first place. Perhaps that should continue to dominate your decision process.

I'm very pleased with my Sonata but I'm certain that if I drove a Cadillac CTS or a Corvette I'd rather have one of them, although neither is in the same class as the Sonata, obviously.

If the Genesis Coupe will fit your lifestyle today and over the next few years, then why not?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (JohnWho @ Sep 26 2010, 09:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358854
If the Genesis Coupe will fit your lifestyle today and over the next few years, then why not?

truth is i do still have my 06 elantra which i can always keep instead of trading in. it can be used for my 4 door needs :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Interesting indeed.
I traded in my Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT Auto with Navigation for the Sonata SE.
Much more practicle car single, married, family, or a loner.
Before you buy a Coupe, try cleaning the rear window, hehe, and or a full size golf bag in the trunk.
Fun car but a few limitations for sure

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Sep 26 2010, 08:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358845
When I get distracted in the middle of a major decision like this, I usually give myself time to cool off and then I almost always go back to my first choice. In this case, the Sonata.

We instinctively know what's best for us... we just think about it too long, and listen to too many opinions.
Speaking of opinions:
We had a genisis coupe 2.0 premium for a year. To be honest is was a blast. Best handling car I have ever had.
Except:
6 speed manual transmission was a dinosaur in terms of ability to shift. Downshifting to second was near impossible, Upshifting smoothly was equally as bad. (I have been driving a stick for more than ten years)
Trunk opening was tiny and could not even fit a standard size cooler.
Paint was terrible. lots of chips on the front.
Cloth seats were showing signs of wear especially on the outboard bolsters of the front seats.
Heat / AC system were sub par.
Did I say it was a blast?

We traded it in 3 months ago for a 2011 pearl white SE and love it.

In the end it is a personel decision what you will buy but I lost my shirt on the trade and to be honest I think the thrill factor of the Genisis is a strong lure that I wish I had resisted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts