Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I work at a hyundai dealer and I'm also in the market for a tucson now. Given that I work at a hyundai dealer, you would think I have test driven one. I have driven them around the parking lot but not on the road.

Today, I finally went and test drove one. I test drove a graphite gray GLS FWD with the PEP. The vehicle had 253 miles on it as it came in on a dealer trade. I absolutely loved everything about it. It has a an extremely comfortable seat which my santa fe doesn't have and the sound system is 10 times better than my santa fe. It had a very smooth ride and took corners easily and it felt planted on the road. My only compaint would be the tires, too much road noise. One of the main reasons I'm trading is gas mileage. Before I set out on my test drive which was just over 5 miles, I reset the mpg computer which I know isn't always accurate. When I pulled into the parking lot, I had averaged 27.1 mpg.

My next step is talking payment which I didn't have time to do today. I've decided on chai bronze with black interior (when we get one in). I have always wanted black interior. I'd consider the lighter interior if it wasn't for that dark brown, I don't care for it. I like the Iris blue but it's too close to purple and I'm usually a gray person but the gray doesn't have enough pop to me. I don't really care for any of the other colors. The chai bronze is the perfect mix of metallic and depth to me and it will look great all shined up (I'm a detailer).

Hopefully I will find something out this week but I'm not in a rush. I really wish I could get the pano roof in the GLS.

:beer:

·
Registered
570 Posts
You have chosen well, Grasshopper! (you aren't old enough to remember that, but ask your parents :) )

My wife and I also noticed a bit more road noise than we wanted to hear, but we were coming out of a 2009 Audi, so it's really tough to compare that, y'know? One thing we have found is, if you keep the rear cargo cover net extended, it does alleviate some of the extra road noise coming from the back. I'm not sure if that comes standard on the GLS, but it is on the Limited.

Good luck with getting your perfect car!

tim B)

·
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tim,

thanks for your response. While the road noise was more than I care for, I could definitely get used to it. I can always replace the tires if it comes down to it.

That's good to know about the cargo cover. I love having a cargo cover, unfortuntely it's not standard but I do plan on getting that along with mudguards, all weather mats, auto dimming mirror, cross rails, and bug shield.

Paul

·
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had to run an errand tonight and I figured I'd stop at the hyundai dealer closest to me just to look and see what they had. To my suprise, they were still open. They don't have a very good rep. but I told the salesman what I was looking for. He tells me they just got a chai bronze one in and he was going to get the keys and I can go have a look. Well I go look at it and the first thing I see is " AWD" which I told him I didn't want. I looked inside and saw it had the nav package too. While I would love to have that, it's out of my price range. He comes back out and says since it's such a new vehicle they can't find the keys. I said ok, well it's not what I want. He says but it's the color I want. I asked if he had any other chai bronze and he said no and that is what I want. I finally said ok, sell this tucson to me for the same price as a base fwd with pep and we have a deal. He said nothing and I left. I might add I was the only one in the showroom.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you work at a Hyundai dealer, wouldn't they give you some kind of employee discount? I was surprised that you were trying to deal with another dealer other than yours.

·
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do get employee pricing but I shop around. When I bought one of my Santa Fe's I actually got a better price at another dealer than at my work, so I bought from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love having a cargo cover, unfortuntely it's not standard but I do plan on getting that along with mudguards, all weather mats, auto dimming mirror, cross rails, and bug shield.
If you are able to get the retractable cargo cover for the GLS, please make a post letting us know. I recently made a post venting my frustration at Hyundai for adopting the same annoying strategy as many of the other auto manufacturers by placing features which I consider essential--like the cargo cover--in the premium packages. To my way of thinking, that is like the manufacturer of a sedan forcing you to buy the Limited package in order to get a lid on your trunk! I was one of the first people to buy a Santa Fe when it was introduced (I bought mine in December of 2000), and one of the factors which made the buying decision easy was the fact that so many of the features I wanted (cargo cover, cargo net, heated outside mirrors, etc.) came with the "mid" level (GLS). The fact that it appears they are now trying to force you to buy the Limited in order to get these essential features just drives me nuts.

·
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love to add accessories to my cars to make it unique. I price shop since I get a good price at work and I also check ebay. Ebay is where I buy most of my accessories for cheap. I got running boards that cost almost $700 for my Santa Fe. I paid $150 minus hardware and had them installed for $90. I do like the usefulness of the cargo cover in the Limited and will definitely get one, but I'm not paying $200. The only thing that is essential to me is the autodimming mirror with compass, other than that I will buy everything on my own.

You're right about everything that came on the Santa Fe. Unfortunetly, hyundai has adopted ways of other manufacturer's and they make you pay now. For what you get in the PEP on the GLS, I think it should cost $1,000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts