Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
22,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent ice storm, slow thaw. Driving home from work I saw this huge section of ice fall from one of those tubular steel interstate signs that span the highway. It was about 100 yards ahead...hit with a colossal impact on the concrete surface, shattered, and scattered pieces across all three lanes. Looked like a "white" bomb detonating.

Seeing this as I approached at 60 MPH, I did everything except pray a rosary. All I could think of was passing underneath and another ice mass dropping, this time onto Ingrid. Just imagining the damage that could do sent chills through me! :w00t:

But wait, there's more. As I arrived near our neighborhood, I witnessed a SECOND occurrence. This time from a street light in the intersection. Bang, shatter, scatter. Enough of this nonsense!!!! I couldn't get home to a safe garage, quickly enough! :eek: You fellas up north are probably used to this nonsense. You can have it!!!!

For the record: I vow to never park underneath any more tree limbs, bill boards, or power lines during winter!

·
22,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I seen those videos of the ice falling at a mall in OK city.
Guess I'll need to Google that one. Didn't even know. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Edit: Holy mackerel. That's unreal.

·
22,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dang, I didn't know OK had that kind of weather. Glad everything is OK though
Most citizens of other states remark that if you don't like the weather in their particular area, stick around for a day. In Oklahoma, we usually say, "Don't go anywhere for the next hour, or so!"

Anyone ever had some of this stuff drop on their Elantra, or other car? Damage assessment?

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Recent ice storm, slow thaw. Driving home from work I saw this huge section of ice fall from one of those tubular steel interstate signs that span the highway. It was about 100 yards ahead...hit with a colossal impact on the concrete surface, shattered, and scattered pieces across all three lanes. Looked like a "white" bomb detonating.

Seeing this as I approached at 60 MPH, I did everything except pray a rosary.

As I arrived near our neighborhood, I witnessed a SECOND occurrence. This time from a street light in the intersection. Bang, shatter, scatter.
You go through tornadoes, & see ice falls close-up & you're not praying with a rosary? Me..... I've got about 25 incidents that God showed His Mercy. God Bless on this Christ Eve & tomorrow, His Birthday.

·
Registered
807 Posts

Seeing this as I approached at 60 MPH, I did everything except pray a rosary. All I could think of was passing underneath and another ice mass dropping, this time onto Ingrid. Just imagining the damage that could do sent chills through me! :w00t:

But wait, there's more. As I arrived near our neighborhood, I witnessed a SECOND occurrence. This time from a street light in the intersection. Bang, shatter, scatter. Enough of this nonsense!!!! I couldn't get home to a safe garage, quickly enough! :eek: You fellas up north are probably used to this nonsense. You can have it!!!!

For the record: I vow to never park underneath any more tree limbs, bill boards, or power lines during winter!
Ice sheets like that are deadly! glad you avoided them safely. I remember a few years back seeing icicles that were 12 inches long hanging from buildings. Never walked under those, if they fell they would go through you like a spear!

·
Registered
370 Posts
We don't get ice very often, but I do have really old memories of icicles stabbed into the ground all around the house. What I obsess about is getting stuck in an underpass when an earthquake strikes.

·
Registered
261 Posts
meh

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Yikes!

You'd enjoy winters in Ottawa, Rich. For a week after every major snowfall you're dodging giant airborne ice sheets on the highway, as they come loose from all the minivans and SUVs that people were too lazy to sweep when it was fresh.

Why clean your roof when you can simply wait until it freezes, and then launch a spinning 75-pound guillotine into somebody's windshield at 70 mph?

·
22,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yikes!

You'd enjoy winters in Ottawa, Rich. For a week after every major snowfall you're dodging giant airborne ice sheets on the highway, as they come loose from all the minivans and SUVs that people were too lazy to sweep when it was fresh.

Why clean your roof when you can simply wait until it freezes, and then launch a spinning 75-pound guillotine into somebody's windshield at 70 mph?
+1 Sir. Have witnessed that, Don. Usually anticipate "the possibility" when I have a vehicle pass me with a pile of white something attached to the roof. I drop back to increase my following distance. That's about all one can do. And as dangerous as that ice sheet going airborne can be, it's fascinating to watch it in flight and it's collision with the road's surface.

But these things over the interstate? I can't adjust for that. Only anticipate, look up, and pray! ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Anyone ever had some of this stuff drop on their Elantra, or other car? Damage assessment?
Seen a story on the News or Weather Channel about two weeks ago of ice sliding off a building don't remember where maybe NY. Crushed a Jag parked below.

If the law passed here in NYS not cleaning snow or ice from your car can get you a fine of $150 - $450, a truck $450 - $1250.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Plenty of goobs around here drive around with windows/roof/hood/trunk covered with inches of snow, along with tail lights and headlights.. then they gots tobe idling along in front of me.

Clean your car off, and turn on all your proper lighting, not that dim DRL thing that dont illuminate your tail lights

DRL is defective,, the tail lights dont illuminate..

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yeah, Maryland is very familiar with ice as we always seem to fall in between the snow and rain of those big storms. But glad you missed it Okie, I'm sure that would of done some nice damage.

sbr711, I see that all the time! People are so lazy and then I have to worry about dodging the piles of snow that come off their car.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
What I obsess about is getting stuck in an underpass when an earthquake strikes.
Never thought along those lines. Being next to 3000 foot near vertical mountain cliffs on my hikes during an earthquake or volcano(Dante's Peak) would be tragic.

Do worry about the houses at the western base of Mount Si, near North Bend, Washington tho. Twenty five hundred feet above them are shattered 1000 ton boulders, that a violent earthquake could shake off the mountain pinnacles......... easily!!! Matter of fact, the 1500 foot pinnacles themselves, look like they have slowly translated away from the mountain's main body over many thousands of years & are slumping down the face of the mountain.

Yeah, now that's sumpun to obsess about.

Well......... Merry Christmas to all & all Christ's Blessings to you....... till the mountains fall.

·
Registered
235 Posts
In NJ it's mandatory to clean off snow/ice from the hood of your vehicle or you will be pulled over and greeted with a ticket.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Wow Rich!
Just a matter of seconds and it could all be different. I gotta say one thing, if I'm ever in Oklahoma, I'm going to be right at your side. Like there's a bubble and that's your safety zone.

·
22,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow Rich!
...if I'm ever in Oklahoma, I'm going to be right at your side...
....a bubble and that's your safety zone.
Only bubbles we will see are the ones in those tall Pilsner glasses at the local brewery, Curtis. LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts