Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 14K miles on my hybrid and it had been running poorly with poor MPG. I was getting in the mid 20s and decided to pour in a fuel system additive. I had a bottle of Chevron Techron in my hand at the checkout and the cashier said the Gumout Regane cleaner was on sale, so I bought a bottle. Well I added it and filled up the tank and took it out on the highway and floored it a few times. I will say the car now runs like it did when it was new and my MPGs are back up around 33 to 34 MPG around town! I will try the techron next time. I was getting my gas from Kroger mainly and Costco sometimes. I may switch to the "Top Tier" gasolines that Hyundai recommends. Top Tier Gasoline Any thoughts.

Here is some info on GDI engines... Ask An Engineer: GDI Problems In A Nutshell | The Truth About Cars

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, when you use non Top Tier gas your mileage will suffer in the long run. It is ok for once in a while if you are in a crunch. As I am a junior member I can't post links. However, toptiergas.... site lists all US/Canada Top Tier gas companies.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah, I only use Chevron, Shell, or Phillips 76 gas...all Top Tier product. I've used bottles of Techron in previous cars and it seems to be an outstanding product.

I've read the thread from the link provided before...and while I don't deny that there are carbon build-up issues associated with some GDI designs, I'm not convinced that "we're all going to **** in a hand basket". Many of the internet postings advise that since VW/Audi had x problems then all GDI designs will experience the same problem so I'm not going to be an early adopter. I can appreciate the sentiment but there's a pretty strong herd mentality that's a bit light on the facts/evidence where anything other than older VW/Audi designs are concerned.

Hyundai has said that the key factor in rolling out GDI engines in new areas of the globe is the quality of the fuel. With that in mind, I only use Top Tier fuel and synthetic oil being that GDI engines requirements are higher for both...and I'm pretty sure that this would be true for all manufacturers using GDI engines.

There are 2012 Accents and Rios that have 75-100K miles on them and evidently haven't experienced this carbon build-up...at least to the point of affecting mileage, etc. If there are some that have then I haven't seen them. My guess is that if this is going to be an issue, you won't hear about it until the average 2012 model has over 50K miles on it. If this does come to pass and it involves removing the heads to clean the valves then this'll likely become a big issue for Hyundai and others.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts