Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I really like my Terracan and drove it from the UK to Romania in January and spent a month driving it around there in bad weather conditions in Transylvania. It really proved an exceptional 4x4. My two complaints were softness of the rear springs and the tyres I was using, normal road tyres on snow and mud, not good.

However I was checking my MPG very closely on both the journey there and back, which included very bad mountainous weather condition in Romania and into London at this end. On the European motorways I was travelling between 60 to 75 MPH. I was very surprised when it all calculated out at 35.5 mpg over 3,500 miles. I think this was very respectable for such a large engine.

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Paul

Thanks for info sounds like good news for mpg, we have just bought a lhd 03 Terracan and are driving it over to Bulgaria in acouple of weeks.

Regards

SUe

·
1,462 Posts
QUOTE (Paul_B @ Apr 29 2010, 10:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317919
Hi, I really like my Terracan and drove it from the UK to Romania in January and spent a month driving it around there in bad weather conditions in Transylvania. It really proved an exceptional 4x4. My two complaints were softness of the rear springs and the tyres I was using, normal road tyres on snow and mud, not good.

However I was checking my MPG very closely on both the journey there and back, which included very bad mountainous weather condition in Romania and into London at this end. On the European motorways I was travelling between 60 to 75 MPH. I was very surprised when it all calculated out at 35.5 mpg over 3,500 miles. I think this was very respectable for such a large engine.

Paul

Yep, sounds about right. 35.5 mpg is equivalent to about 57 Km/gal or 15 Km/liter. Where I live (Costa Rica), I´ve been able to get 1000 kms with a full tank (which translates to about 57 Km/gal for a total of 18.5 gallon tank), when driving 100% highway, at avg speeds of 7o to 90 Km/hr.

When driving mostly in traffic conditions, mileage drops to about 650 kms/tank (around 35 km/gal) which is still very good for an SUV of this size and capacity.

Robert B.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can only dream of those figures!!....I only get 23mpg now the British winter is here...Before the cold arrived my best was 27mpg :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MPG Review

I started this thread quoting the mpg over 3500 miles, now I have done over 50k miles, always gently driven, manual shift and seldom exceed 60 mph (yes, I am old). I believe that my overall fuel consumption is 31-32 mpg (imperial gals). towing a 8x5 box trailer it drops to 27 mpg. For the 2.9 engine, I think this is good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
34mpg gentle cruise/long run and 26mpg towing-worst was 23mpg ahem 3+ ton. done 30k plus in mine always been same, now on 100k. very happy as far superior to any other big 4x4 I have owned. 2wd has to help here over permanent 4wd.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The best I have had on a long trip solo is 38 mpg, towing my large twin axle caravan I get 27 mpg .On my daily 54 mile commute it returns 30 mpg, the worst is 23 mpg when just used for very short trips, I think for the size of these vehicles they are very good on fuel

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to agree with you tilbo, for the size and weight you would expect much worse mpg. The Terracan was a great car in its time and actually is still very good today, but the press must have been on other manufacturers payroll :)
Here in Romania I have pulled many cars and other 4x4's out of difficult mud and snow conditions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Typically in the city, which is where I do most of my driving, I'm getting a bit over 600KM from a full tank. Out of town I'm expecting circa 800KM but on a recent trip to the west of Ireland from Dublin which included about 1/3 motorway and some mountain milage driving, I got almost 900KM from a full tank.

Without the motorway to tempt us to open up the turbo, the catalogue estimate of 1000KM from a full tank is definitely possible :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts