Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Hyundai Terracan 2.9 CRDi. It is lacking power on the bottom end to the point that it can't make it up steep inclines and is dangerous getting out into traffic. Once the turbo kicks in it is fine. While going up long hills (we live in Costa Rica) the transmission (automatic) has to kick down a lot because the engine just bogs down. We have cleaned the injectors twice, as well as had the injector pump cleaned. We have purged the filters and the fuel lines. We have checked the vacuum lines and one was off and after putting it back on the performance increased a bit, but not to the normal point. It started doing this after we had a leak in the injector closest to the firewall which was causing an airlock and the truck wouldn't start. We fixed that injector and replaced the sensor (in Spanish it is the Sensor Arbol Cevas - no idea in English) that is closest to that injector (top of engine close to firewall). Since that repair we have had this problem. The air cleaner is new. I am not sure where to turn now. Help.

·
Registered
460 Posts
QUOTE (MurrayD @ Aug 29 2010, 03:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352735
I have a 2006 Hyundai Terracan 2.9 CRDi. It is lacking power on the bottom end to the point that it can't make it up steep inclines and is dangerous getting out into traffic. Once the turbo kicks in it is fine. While going up long hills (we live in Costa Rica) the transmission (automatic) has to kick down a lot because the engine just bogs down. We have cleaned the injectors twice, as well as had the injector pump cleaned. We have purged the filters and the fuel lines. We have checked the vacuum lines and one was off and after putting it back on the performance increased a bit, but not to the normal point. It started doing this after we had a leak in the injector closest to the firewall which was causing an airlock and the truck wouldn't start. We fixed that injector and replaced the sensor (in Spanish it is the Sensor Arbol Cevas - no idea in English) that is closest to that injector (top of engine close to firewall). Since that repair we have had this problem. The air cleaner is new. I am not sure where to turn now. Help.
Diag machine check

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there,

I have only bought the same model with 68.000km and mine has exactly this problem.
When the engine is cold, there is absolutely no power at the low end. And since you shouldn't kick a Diesel when it's cold, this is absolutely annoying. Once it's slightly warm, things improve but certainly are not at the level of a 333Nm engine.
I had the air filter and the combustion filters changed but this brought hardly any change.

I have another half year of warranty but would like to be informed when I go back to the garage as they don't seem to know what the issue is.

Hope, I can get some help here :)

The Diag machine check did not show a single fault...

All the best
Thommy

·
Registered
93 Posts
Check the crdi pump. Go to machine shops that offer such services. Your pump may be defective. Or you may have other electronic and mechanical issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the tip. As I still have warranty, I went to Hyundai direct. In 2 hours, I will have my slot and see what they say. When I went there yesterday, the guy in charge of maintenance recognized the car immediately. I am not sure that is a good sign. Although the previous (and only) owner has painted the side panels in the same color as the rest of the car, so it's recognizable and I hope that that's the reason ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quick update: Hyundai says, everything is fine. LOL

After the car was parked in an underground garage today for about 2 hours, I could hardly get up the ramp. And that with a 2.9l 333Nm Diesel. It's a joke.

Tomorrow, I will bring it to an independent mechanic who has an excellent track record for fixing these kind of things. I will have to see if Hyundai will accept his verdict.

Regards
Thommy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, Could it be something as simple as lack of Turbo boost?? The rubber boots can and do crack and result in loss of boost. Have your mechanic check the boost at various RPM and compare to factory specs.

Cheers,

Cambo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the tip but I don't think it's that. The lack of power is only in the region in which the turbo doesn't have an effect yet. So, from 800 to say 1,300 RPM. On a hill it then takes up to 10 seconds until the revs go up to that level and the car starts moving (when the engine is cold).

I was also thinking about really simple things. I mean, it must be lack of Diesel or air. What else can it be. So, some pressure issue somewhere when it's cold. At least that is when it shows. I believe the lack of power also exists when the engine is warm but then the turbo kicks in earlier and levels out the problem.

In an hour, I finally have the appointment with the engine whisperer :) He said that we will find the problem. We first go together to a friend of his in a Hyundai garage (an other one) to use their PC analyzer. I thought that this was done by the other garage (at least they wanted to charge me for that). We'll take it from there.

I'll keep this updated.

Best regards
Thomas

EDIT: The appointment was canceled. New try tomorrow...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same problem. It improved a bit on running through a tankful of diesel with a diesel additive (System D) but not to what it should be. Would have loved to know the end of Thommy's saga.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem on my Terracan 2.9 diesel even the smallest incline was like pedal power, took it to local hyundai dealer who seems to work on the principle of keep changing anything and everything untill it works, after considerable cost I took it back and gave it to my local and favourite garage who also could not solve the problem, after fitting new turbo, mass flow sensor and various other sensors and relays it still did not solve the problem.
When my favourit garage came up with the idea of checking the exhaust system! it established that the centre exhaust box (containing the exhaust gas particulate filter) was almost completely blocked causing enormous back pressure on the engine side. Changing this resulted in the car returning to normal performance after months of agro.
Hope this may be useful to some of you with the same problem.​

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,811 Posts
When my favourit garage came up with the idea of checking the exhaust system! it established that the centre exhaust box (containing the exhaust gas particulate filter) was almost completely blocked causing enormous back pressure on the engine side.
Testing exhaust back pressure on a CRDi engine is a 5 min job. All it takes is a simple voltage measurement at the DPF pressure sensor. It's a shame you favourite mechanic didn't do that simple test before replacing the expensive turbo, MAF sensor, etc.

Here is a video I posted a while back showing the DPF pressure sensor output voltage before and after a filter regen...

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

1 - 14 of 14 Posts