Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned the Highlander for 6 months covering 16,000KLM mainly towing a jayco freedom pop top caravan weighing about 1.6 tonne.

Drivability is good both on and off the bitumen having covered about 3,000 Klm on gravel in the north west of western australia. the cars quiet and has plenty of power for passing safeley.

I have elected to travel at 90 Klm/m while towing although she is quite happy at the legal limit of 100Klm/h. Economy varies between 18 L/100 to 21L/100 during the towing.

Sitting on the max speed limit of 110Klm/h on country roads without a load returns about 13 L/100.

My only concern is a harmonic vibration that comes in at about 70 Klm/h - 90 Klm/h peaking at about 85 Klm/h with quite a loud droning noise and a sharp vibration through the steering.

The dealers have balanced the front tailshaft achieving a minor improvement and checked the ride heights as normal all to no avail.

Are any other Terracan drivers experiencing the same phenonema which spoils a very capable car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello Big Ted,

Try to change the shock absorbers (specially the front ones) for others more strong (Koni, etc). The originals are very very soft and it can lead in a regular deformation of the tyre. This deformation can be the cause of a harmonic noise and vibration when the car rides. Try to observe a band pattern on the tires (ride band) so this is a clear clue of this phenomenom.

I had this problem with a VW GOLF III GTI.

Anyway, change your original shock absorbers. Many people in Spain (and me) did it and all of us are very happy with the improvement. If you want you can visit our forum Forum Terracan

"Saludos" from Madrid, Spain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
G'Day,

I've owned a Terracan for over a year and have travelled over 20,000km with no problems. I have changed the suspension and the tyres and also tow a camper trailer. I am very happy with the cars performance on and off road.

Cheers,
Carmo

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by Big Ted@Nov 23 2004, 11:33 AM
I have owned the Highlander for 6 months covering 16,000KLM mainly towing a jayco freedom pop top caravan weighing about 1.6 tonne.

Drivability is good both on and off the bitumen having covered about 3,000 Klm on gravel in the north west of western australia. the cars quiet and has plenty of power for passing safeley.

I have elected to travel at 90 Klm/m while towing although she is quite happy at the legal limit of 100Klm/h. Economy varies between 18 L/100 to 21L/100 during the towing.

Sitting on the max speed limit of 110Klm/h on country roads without a load returns about 13 L/100.

My only concern is a harmonic vibration that comes in at about 70 Klm/h - 90 Klm/h peaking at about 85 Klm/h with quite a loud droning noise and a sharp vibration through the steering.

The dealers have balanced the front tailshaft achieving a minor improvement and checked the ride heights as normal all to no avail.
Are any other Terracan drivers experiencing the same phenonema which spoils a very capable car.
[snapback]2990[/snapback]​

There are 2 things I would check.
The tailshaft, front Uni Joint I have had mine fail, it started off with a slight groaning sound at around 70 - 80km/h, but only when backing off from a slight acceleration. The sound was similar to running over line markers on the side of the road. As it got worse, you could start to feel it in the peddles. Removing it, you can feel a flat spot when rotating it.

The rear diff. Most people complain of shudder, however I didn't experience any shudder, but I was getting a droning sound (whine) at around 70 - 100km/h. As the problem progressed you could also hear it at lower speeds 40 - 60km/h. This droning whine did not seem to happen until the car was warm, after doing 40+ kms. It was never real loud, but just very annoying, infact mechanics told me it was nothing to be concerned with. Checking the diff oil, it was very black with fine metal filings, replaced the diff and the problem was fixed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Big Ted

I've got the exact syndrome you describe on my Feb 04 V6 auto Terracan. The way you describe it is exactly like it happens on mine.

I love the car also, but I'd love to have the noise sorted out. I've spoken to one dealer service manager about it. He basically knew exactly what I was talking about and confessed that they are having a very hard time pin pointing what makes that noise.

Damian

I'm going to check my diff oil and maybe the front end of the rear prop shaft(thats a big job though). How did you get them to change the diff centre? The impression I get from my dealer is that they wouldn't even consider it. They want me to change the oil and order the Hyundai additive - but at my expense? They really drive me up the wall.

Good luck with your Terracan( I'm in Perth also.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a diesel model that developed a vibration at 80 /85kph - Problem was a twisted rear tailshaft caused by towing a caravan with the cruise control on - it twisted the tailshaft when the auto suddenly changed down when towing up a hill - twisted the tailshaft by 5mm as its the weakest part of the drivetrain

1 - 10 of 10 Posts