Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a 2005 Terracan. It does have 3 month old MOT.
Had a look underneath and "would they be called outriggers" under the door steps are seriously corroded with big holes in them.
The MOT states "Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced"
It also had " Brake hose had slight corrosion to ferrule"
Personally I think it should have failed the MOT.
When I was trained to do MOT's years ago the rule was "any corrosion had to be a failure and described as excessive"
Could it be where one garage will fail the car for an Mot but another may pass it.
Although the outriggers can perhaps be welded can they be bought new or second hand ?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I have no idea, A picture of the part is in order. Nothing called 'outriggers' that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello,
do you mean the metal bars under the side steps?
If you do, then no.
I have never been an MOT tester but the body sits on a sturdy chassis, so presumably a few holes in that, well away from any chassis mounting brackets would not affect its integrity?

MOTs are a variable thing and of course they "expire" as soon as you leave the testing station.
I bought mine with 11 months MOT on it.
It had six months remaining when the metal brake pipe burst just behind where it joins the flexible pipe at the rear axle. Luckily I was only parking.
Once taken off and inspected, the entire pipe was rotten from the back of the fuel tank to the axle and the pipes on the axle that run to the brakes were not far behind it.
Admittedly, the pipe is above the spare wheel and not easy to see, however, it can be seen with the naked eye without even jacking the car up, so with an MOT tester's ramp and inspection light the rotten pipe above the spare wheel should have been found.
No excuse at all for the clearly visible pipes across the rear axle.
But then you were trained in all this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts