Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
Interesting thing: RPM is 20 too during cranking even with disconnected sensor......
Yes, that is interesting. Where is that 20 RPM coming from?

What I would do is connect the scope to the crank sensor wiring as before but disconnect the sensor. Now crank the engine and see what signal is present when the sensor is disconnected.

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
there is no signal or any false signal.
Right, so the RPM signal that the PCM is displaying on the scan tool must be being generated internally.

It's beginning to look like you have a faulty PCM. If everything on the outside is good (power supplies, grounds and the input signal) I suppose that must mean the fault has to be on the inside.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Right, so the RPM signal that the PCM is displaying on the scan tool must be being generated internally.

It's beginning to look like you have a faulty PCM. If everything on the outside is good (power supplies, grounds and the input signal) I suppose that must mean the fault has to be on the inside.
Hi,
I need to ask, did you ever come to a satisfactory conclusion regarding this problem with your Terracan?

I have a Hyundia Terracan 2.9 CRDI 2006 with a very similar problem to the one discussed on this thread.

At the moment it will start with the first turn of the key on a morning no problem at all.

If I then drive to the shops or school and turn it off it won't start unless I spray easy start into the air intake then it will start again no problem.

Now, If I then call somewhere else and turn the car off, it won't start at all with or without easy start, I'm basically stuck.

If I then leave it over night and go back to it, we are back at the start of this cycle again where it will start no problem at all with the first turn of the key. Then after that needing east start again then after that it refuses to start at all.

We have changed the cam shaft sensor (twice) as we thought the first one we bought was defective, still no change.

We have now just ordered a Crankshaft sensor, which we are waiting to arrive to see if that works.

I'm no mechanic, so I have a mechanic working on this for me but it seems as if something is causing the engine not to send fuel to rail after that initial first start of the day then somehow the fault is correcting its self over night.

For a short while after the problem first started it would start with easy start on the third and even fourth time of asking if needed.

Any advice gratefully received.

Stephen

·
Registered
14 Posts
BTW . This engine did NOT run with the Cam Sensor disconnected, even with good timing.
Hi,
I need to ask, did you ever come to a satisfactory conclusion regarding this problem with your Terracan?

I have a Hyundia Terracan 2.9 CRDI 2006 with a very similar problem to the one discussed on this thread.

At the moment it will start with the first turn of the key on a morning no problem at all.

If I then drive to the shops or school and turn it off it won't start unless I spray easy start into the air intake then it will start again no problem.

Now, If I then call somewhere else and turn the car off, it won't start at all with or without easy start, I'm basically stuck.

If I then leave it over night and go back to it, we are back at the start of this cycle again where it will start no problem at all with the first turn of the key. Then after that needing east start again then after that it refuses to start at all.

We have changed the cam shaft sensor (twice) as we thought the first one we bought was defective, still no change.

We have now just ordered a Crankshaft sensor, which we are waiting to arrive to see if that works.

I'm no mechanic, so I have a mechanic working on this for me but it seems as if something is causing the engine not to send fuel to rail after that initial first start of the day then somehow the fault is correcting its self over night.

For a short while after the problem first started it would start with easy start on the third and even fourth time of asking if needed.

Any advice gratefully received.

Stephen

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I recently got a Terracan 2.9 CRDI with no start condition.

When reading DTC with HiScan Pro (Cascade), I see P0340.
So I replace Cam Sensor, but still same error logged and still have no start condition.

Rail pressure is good, fuel is there.
Engine is cranking with normal sound and strong (3-4 rev per second / 180-240 rpm)

I notice when logging live data, the engine rpm is reported only with "20" while cranking. So I clean the Crank shaft sensor, it was quite dirty. After cleaning still same problem.

Now my question:
Does anyone know what Engine rpm is supposed to be reported on HiScan Pro (Cascade) while cranking ? Maybe someone could try and report, that would be great. I expected to see ± 200.

I plan to check timing belt for alignment as next step and then EGR.
Will also double-check wiring from sensors to ECM in the meantime.

Lastly I guess need to replace Crankshaft Sensor !

Best Regards,

Marco
Hello Marko
Have you find the problem because I have the same issue with Terracan 2.9crdi P0340 I already changed the camshaft sensor and checked the timing ?? Any news?! Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has your car got exactly the same problem as my Terracan, does it still start okay when cold, and if it does, does it run really well with no problem?

I changed the crankshaft as well, with no change to the problem.

With the EGR valve, none of the symptoms fit, mine runs perfect when it starts.

A few people have mentioned a timing belt issue, the problem is that my mechanic doesn't wear it, he seems to think the slightest movement on the timing belt and the car would run like a bag of spanners. Other mechanics have said a belt could move half a notch or so and is wont compromise the timing of the engine and the car should run fine, but a move of only half a notch is enough to effect the signal from the cam sensor. The tolerances no doubt change from car to car.

Please, please let me know how you get on and let me know if it is exactly the same problem as mine. please read my long tread above and let me know.

Thank you.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts