Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , this is my first post and I need help. I decided to fit an aftermarket radio, which blew the 10A fuse in driver side fuse box. After replacing fuse I now find a number of things no longer work. Interior lights, clock, door marker lights, original radio, however, the switches and buttons on radio illuminate but will not turn on. Trip meter is reset to zero every time I start the car. obviously something other than just the fuse is the problem, but where to start the investigation. I have trawled the the forum posts but unable to find anything related, or I didn't see it.
Anybody any ideas, all help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Electrical fault

Since the audio (and overhead lamp) 10 amp circuit gets its 12VDC directly from the ignition switch and the battery, and the 10 amp fuse was blown, it would not have affected anything else but that circuit. Something else is going on. There is a standby 12V for the audio that is on all of the time for memory etc, also, that could be the cause of these problems if wired wrong. If you made a mistake and grounded that 10 amp circuit (acc), all you would have done is blow the fuse. If you mistakenly put in a higher amp fuse, you could have blown the 30 amp link, which would shut down a lot of stuff including instrument cluster, A/C, Alarm system, etc.

Can you describe the actual connections you made to connect the radio? Maybe we can backtrack what you did to figure it out.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After trawling internet all weekend I finally gave in. Unable to rationalise both symptoms and cause, phoned my local hyundai dealer this morning for advice, I was actually in there two weeks ago for replacement of rear diff seal, great group of guys. They knew what the problem was before I'd even finished explaining. Something I'd never heard of before, 'transit fuse'. So, for future reference for anybody experiencing similar issues, in the engine bay fuse box there is a small yellow block with 2 fuses in it (10a and 15a) labelled 'POWER CONN'. The 15a fuse had blown.
I also found why I had caused the problem in the first place, fool that I am. The radio has a motorised 7" display I was wanting to use with a reversing camera. I had wired the gearbox connection to grnd instead of +ve, thereby introducing a short cct to the system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts