Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I posted here on the forums a month ago or so regarding the 06-11 Accent, as I was interested in purchasing one. However, I've been able to find some pretty great deals on newer cars, and I'm wondering what I should be looking for and whether I'm actually getting a competitive price.

Anyways, I came across a 2012 Accent hatch, base model (and by base I mean manual tranny, manual windows, no keyless entry, manual mirrors, no A/C, bare bones) with 600km for $11900. I offered 9500, and we countered over and over until they told me that 11600 was the absolute lowest they could go, which I don't believe for a second. Either way, I walked. Did I miss out of a good deal?

Anyways, I really do like the Accent, but where should I be aiming in terms of price? Any tips to get the dealer to come down?

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Seriouly? Nope!...

Main reason is beacuse you will regret it. You can now have a 2013 Base model with 0km full waranty for $13000$.

For 12k$, you can have a 2012 GS with maybe +-/ 30 000km on it!... Keep shopping!

·
Registered
385 Posts
You will not like manual windows , no keyless, manual mirrors in about 1 month. The Accent is really dirt cheap at times new, just check out the Friday car ads, I have seen new 13 SEs go for 13,999 in automatic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i agree, mine brand new 2012 accent with 2 miles on the odometer was $16022 OTD with tax and everything, 3 year contract, $500 down payment, 0.9% APR interest.

my monthly is $444.

but i have a manual tranny with AC and power windows and locks. i think it was called comfort package. what i'm missing is the keyless entry and cruise control, but i can live without it for now i guess.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i agree also. Mine brand new 2013 accent GL with 56km on it as 20700$ (CND with tax and everything). 8 year contract, 0$ down payement, 0% interest (They put the interest in the price.. aprox 2500$)

my monthly is 200$ tax in

I got everything like the SE but not the Moonroof, Bluetooh, Fog Lights, and flashers on mirroir... otherwise, it`s full equip:

- Heated seat
- AC
- Manual Tranny
- Power lock/windows
- Keyless Entry
- Cruise Control

I can`t live without all these now.. The only regret was to purschase a GLS (SE in US)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Don't think you did badly by walking...in almost every case where I've ever gotten into "the game" with a dealership over a very low mile used car from the current or last model year...their counteroffers have always been ridiculous. They waste my time a lot more than I waste theirs...

By the 600km mileage reference, I'm assuming you're in Canada. The Accent is a hotter property in Canada than in the U.S. because I think it's still Canada's best selling subcompact. They sell more Fiestas and Versas here. That being said, I agree that you would probably be better served with a new car even if you have to pay the difference between your $9500 offer and a new base model. I think you have to be certain going in what you absolutely need in terms of options/packages. Personally, I can do w/out the moonroof...that's just a margin enhancer as far as I'm concerned. Other than duct taping sticks of dynamite to your jacket when you walk into the office, I don't think the dealer is going to budge on anything.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far, everyone! Much appreciated!

The reason that I was interested in the car in the first place was a) its low price, b) the fact that it was only 1 year into Hyundai Canada's 5 year warranty and c) the fact that it literally only had 586KM on the odo (it's now 612 since I've test driven it).

The dealer explained that the original owner had won it in a contest, but traded it into them (Toyota dealership) for a Corolla. So for all intents and purposes, it's really never been used as a daily driver (yet), which gives it the new car appeal.

I took your advice and decided to test drive the model up (here in Canada we have L, GL, and GLS for trims, from base to top trim respectively), the GL. It was a nice vehicle, the only real feature that it had that I really appreciated was heated seats (I'm from Winnipeg, we've had around -20 degree temperatures these past few weeks, but by January -40 or colder isn't too uncommon), but I'm sure by summer having A/C and power windows would be nice for those blisteringly humid days. Manual mirrors isn't a huge issue since I'm the only one driving the car, and I'll eventually put keyless entry in once I get a remote starter installed.

In regards to the features that I would eventually want to add onto the car though, like cruise control or adding a centre console, how difficult would that be? Some of you might argued that it's just a better idea to get a slightly used 2012 GL with 30-50 thousand km on the odo, but I'd really like to have a newer vehicle that I know the entire service history of. And as this is a first car for me, a barely 16 year old student on a tight part time job budget, swinging an extra few grand for a new model isn't totally realistic.

Anyways, I got a text from the dealer asking if I'd do 11450, which I countered 11000. I'll hear back from them tomorrow, but I'm thinking if they accept then I'll take the car. After all, it's hard to beat 11000 for an (essentially) new vehicle, base model or not. Thoughts on this?

And in regards to whether the Accent is a hot commodity here in Canada, I have seen quite a few on the streets. Subcompacts and compacts have been selling very well here lately (although even then I think Canadians have always been fonder to small cars than Americans), and the Accent is leading the pack with the Fiesta, Versa and Fit on its tail. Good on Hyundai for their most recent models, I think the Elantra's Canada's top selling compact right now as well, after many years the Civic's finally dropped down to second place.

And if you're so inclined to search for the exact Accent I'm looking at, it's from a dealer called "Woodhaven Toyota" here in Winnipeg. I would post a link, but my post count is still too low.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Old thread, the car is gone, would be nice to know if you or someone else got it.

To answer some of your questions - I'm more familiar with the Rio, but the Accent is roughly the same ...

You will pay more for remote start with a manual transmission - it can be done, but it will cost more than if you had an automatic.

I think cruise is wired into the car already - you just need to get the steering wheel buttons and install them - at least that was true on the US Rio LX - then again, the Canada L is a lower trim, so maybe not. A company called Rostra sells a CC kit for $300 US or so, and it's a pretty simple install - but you have an aftermarket stalk and non-lighted buttons.

For the console - the Rio LX had a console but no storage cubby and installing the EX console was around $200 - but it was hard to know exactly what parts to order without having the actual car. Your best bet here is going to be finding an Accent in a junkyard or a console on E-bay and installing that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is becoming a less and less attractive option to buy a used car. Carmax has my exact model listed with 12k miles for more than I paid for my 2013 Accent new. You really aren't going to come out ahead trying to add options yourself. Really better off biting the bullet at the start and having it built the way you would use it, and plan to stick with it. Or search hard for a used model, and only bite if you feel like you are going to be way ahead from new.

·
Banned
18 Posts
I would not buy a used car if its only a coupe years old. That means either

1) You're buying someone else's problems
2) It was a trade-in lease and trade in lease's are beatin the crap out of more so than owned cars

if you do make sure you have the best bumper to bumper warranty and not some crappy knock off

·
Banned
18 Posts
i agree, mine brand new 2012 accent with 2 miles on the odometer was $16022 OTD with tax and everything, 3 year contract, $500 down payment, 0.9% APR interest.

my monthly is $444.

but i have a manual tranny with AC and power windows and locks. i think it was called comfort package. what i'm missing is the keyless entry and cruise control, but i can live without it for now i guess.
Wow thats the same car I got lol. i'm going to find your car and switch with mine and see if you notice lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
i think he bought the car anyway ! Hope he gonna have fun! :)

·
22,793 Posts
Don't know how the used market is in Chi-Town or Salt Lake, or other regions for that matter. But here? In this part of the Southwest, especially Oklahoma? Ridiculous! For a few more bucks over what these clowns are asking for a 1 year rental return, you can get a new one. Especially at model year ending time.

Couple that, with the fact that lots of folks simply do not buy new. Instead, opting for "used," "pre-owned," or "gently-owned." Whatever. Same old pie, regardless of how you slice it. They don't have a minute's clue how much a comparable model like the one they're looking at is selling for in untitled condition. So, they're easy prey for that "slick-talking carnival barker" that's going to get them a "really great deal." Add to this: no window sticker. Nothing to compare it against. You don't know how much the dealer has invested in the car. They buy, they drive off, BIG old satisfied ear-to-ear" grin. Only to find out they're so upside down they couldn't dig themselves outta that hole with a backhoe and 48 months of advance payments on the note.

And they're drug all over the lot, looking at so many cars, so many variables in prices...worn to a frazzle. Now they're easy prey. Tired, exhausted, worn out...just make a deal so they can "get this over with," go home with "something...anything" and get some rest, peace, and quiet. Ever heard of Buyer's Remorse? No do-over's, here.

The dealer just wears them down. No matter the book's title, its the same old chapter. Research and buy a new one, if you can afford it. If not, there's lots of websites devoted to helping you understand values and pricing for used ones. Get the items you want, check the best prices in the area, and DON'T rush it. Don't let your eagerness to own a new car get in the way of your common sense approach. This is one purchase that you DO NOT want listed under the category of "Impulse!"

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the words of advice, guys!

To answer your question, I did buy the car. I got it for a little over $10 000 after some negotiations.

I find it very interesting that some of you advise against buying "slightly used" and would instead opt for new. I totally disagree with this, cars lose around 20% of their value the moment they leave the dealer lot. And really, considering the car's literally 1 year old with only 600km on it, I highly doubt that it was "somebody else's problem" or someone beat the crap out of it. I have the vehicle's entire history, it was won as a prize in a contest, buy the guy traded it to Toyota for a new Corolla. Considering I got the full Hyundai warranty as well, I'm content.

What actually ended up happening was after heated negotiations, I left the lot with a bad taste in my mouth. They called back with a counter, I refused, and stuck to my original price which they eventually accepted. I actually still have the original window sticker, which showed $15 100 including delivery, still almost $5000 more than I paid. And while prices are (obviously) negotiable, it's still quite a deal over buying new. There's no way to spin it otherwise.

In regards to the missing features with the base model, the only thing I really want as of right now is keyless entry, but since I have power locks I plan on installing it once I get a remote starter done for winter.

·
22,793 Posts

What actually ended up happening was after heated negotiations, I left the lot with a bad taste in my mouth. They called back with a counter, I refused, and stuck to my original price which they eventually accepted. I actually still have the original window sticker, which showed $15 100 including delivery, still almost $5000 more than I paid. And while prices are (obviously) negotiable, it's still quite a deal over buying new. There's no way to spin it otherwise.

In regards to the missing features with the base model, the only thing I really want as of right now is keyless entry, but since I have power locks I plan on installing it once I get a remote starter done for winter.
"May I have your attention, please? We have a winner!" Enjoy!!!!!!

·
Banned
18 Posts

To answer your question, I did buy the car. I got it for a little over $10 000 after some negotiations.

I find it very interesting that some of you advise against buying "slightly used" and would instead opt for new. I totally disagree with this, cars lose around 20% of their value the moment they leave the dealer lot. And really, considering the car's literally 1 year old with only 600km on it, I highly doubt that it was "somebody else's problem" or someone beat the crap out of it. I have the vehicle's entire history, it was won as a prize in a contest, buy the guy traded it to Toyota for a new Corolla. Considering I got the full Hyundai warranty as well, I'm content.

Hey man i'm glad you got the car :)

I just like leasing since I get a new car every 3 years and dont have to fool with trade-in value. Its "heres the keys to the old car and give me the keys to the new one." And yeah I wouldnt wanna own the car that I trade-in lol

·
Registered
34 Posts

You should definitely make the choice you feel is right.

As far as the 20% off the lot? That's a used car salesman's pitch. Maybe it is true for some higher end models. I bought my new Accent for less than all the 1-2 year old models were listed for. Also, cars rarely sell for window sticker. My window sticker was about $17,500, paid $15,200.

Enjoy the car! The no keyless isn't even an issue if you were already going for remote start, that'll be part of the package.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
You got a good (maybe great) deal, but cars don't necessarily lose 20% of their value ...

Depends a lot on model year as well -

I don't think you can get a base model without A/C in the states, but a manual Accent sedan would be $15,300 MSRP, roughly $13,900 at the dealer.

2013 Hyundai Accent GLS, $15,791 - Cars.com
New 2013 Accent (US) with preferred package and automatic - local dealer has them for $15,800. Window Sticker would be $17,540.

New 2014 Accent - same car (virtually) - Dealer price is going to be around $17,000. Window Sticker is $17,855.

https://usedcars.truecar.com/car/Hyundai-Accent-2013/KMHCT4AEXDU485246
Used 2013 Accent GLS 2600 Miles, rental - $15,000 WITHOUT the $1200 preferred equipment package and TrueCar considers this a "GREAT" price.

You got a great deal, but they lose 20% when the model year ends or when you try to sell or trade it back to the dealer, but not when the used car dealer puts them back on sale.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I can't see Hyundai dealers selling a 2014 Accent GLS at 17K ( with a window sticker of 17.8K ) when there's only been minor tweaks like projector headlights and tilt/telescope steering wheels to some models. The subcompact market is pretty cut throat and adding $1200 to the actual selling price, year over year, wouldn't bid well for Accent sales figures. Around here at least, I think they'll probably sell in the same $1500-$1800 under sticker range that they have been in 2013 with a small price increase over 2013 models.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts