Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone having their temperature gauge take up to 20 minutes to reach a needle below half and then see the needle go down to a quarter or less after the car has reached operating temperature? This has happened on days that are 26F and colder. I noticed it three times so far. Also takes longer to get heat. This problem is also occurring with 2017 and 2018 Elantras. See this topic under the Elantra latest generation. There are 3 TSB's for a fix of the affected Elantras.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I haven't but I'm almost positive the temperature gauge isn't actually displaying real temperature.
I have an Ultragauge but I haven't had time to plug it in and actually see what the computer is doing.

The reason I say it's not displaying real temperature is mine starts to move a little as the engine is warming up, but within a very short time it shows just below half, which appears to be "normal" and yet my heat continues to get hotter and hotter for the next 10 miles but the needle doesn't move.

I believe this is typical for modern cars as it keeps people from complaining, or thinking something is wrong.

Honestly, to me, yours sounds more realistic than mine. It should climb and then drop when the thermostat opens. And then climb again etc. Usually things will stabilize some has the radiator gets hotter but it takes time.

It was 8 degrees out this morning and I didn't see the behavior you described but I'll watch closer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don’t know if this has to do with anything, but I know on my SE, the gauge cluster’s exterior temperature sensor reading will blink and cause the chime to go off once, adding a frost symbol next to it, whenever the temperature is 39*F or below. So I don’t know if that’s just a warning to the driver to be mindful of icy conditions, or suggestive that the engine may have trouble warming up or staying warm. Couldn’t find a single mention of this particular indicator in the owners manual.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don’t know if this has to do with anything, but I know on my SE, the gauge cluster’s exterior temperature sensor reading will blink and cause the chime to go off once, adding a frost symbol next to it, whenever the temperature is 39*F or below. So I don’t know if that’s just a warning to the driver to be mindful of icy conditions, or suggestive that the engine may have trouble warming up or staying warm. Couldn’t find a single mention of this particular indicator in the owners manual.

That's to warn the driver of icy conditions.

The engine will warm up just fine even below zero, but it will take longer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The gauges are eye candy. You need to monitor the OBDII coolant temp output to see what is really going on.
I had looked quickly before leaving work last night and it looked like I probably need to leave the cover off in order to leave my Ultragauge plugged into the OBDII port.

I could be wrong, but if that's true it kind of stinks. It's nice to know what's actually going on rather than as you said, eye candy.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I had looked quickly before leaving work last night and it looked like I probably need to leave the cover off in order to leave my Ultragauge plugged into the OBDII port.

I could be wrong, but if that's true it kind of stinks. It's nice to know what's actually going on rather than as you said, eye candy.
The engineers put what is known as a buffer in certain systems like your fuel gauge, temp sensor etc. You would be distracted if the fuel gauge were going up and down with every bump or the temp gauge went up and down every time the thermostat opened and closed. They are averaged over a set amount of time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The engineers put what is known as a buffer in certain systems like your fuel gauge, temp sensor etc. You would be distracted if the fuel gauge were going up and down with every bump or the temp gauge went up and down every time the thermostat opened and closed. They are averaged over a set amount of time.
Hi grcauto,

While this is very true, what I see this temperature gauge doing isn't what you're describing.

What I see it doing is acting like an "idiot light" that looks like a temperature gauge. I'll know better once I get around to plugging the UG in for a while.
I've had plenty of cars with temperature gauges that moved around and showed the actual coolant temperature and it wasn't distracting. With that reasoning, do you feel a proper oil pressure gauge, or for that matter the speedometer or tachometer are distracting? :)

With the fuel level I agree, there's always a delay. Whether it's software or on older cars the gauge was mechanically delayed.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Hi grcauto,

While this is very true, what I see this temperature gauge doing isn't what you're describing.

What I see it doing is acting like an "idiot light" that looks like a temperature gauge.

Idiot lights are on or off. Are you saying your gauge will move from full cold to full hot or full hot to full cold in an instant?

I'll know better once I get around to plugging the UG in for a while.
I've had plenty of cars with temperature gauges that moved around and showed the actual coolant temperature and it wasn't distracting. With that reasoning, do you feel a proper oil pressure gauge, or for that matter the speedometer or tachometer are distracting? :)

With the fuel level I agree, there's always a delay. Whether it's software or on older cars the gauge was mechanically delayed.
Without buffering you can see the gauge go up and down with the opening and closing of the thermostat although the way some gauges operate there will be a slight lag. Not so much of a distraction as it is...."Oh no, my engine is having convulsions".

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Hyundai's temp gauges suck totally. They are buffered all right. On my Gen Coupe it will start to move at 140F, from 160F to 210F it is stuck in the middle and then if it goes to Hot it's around 250F.

They are not to be used for accurate measurement. You need to go to the OBDII port and get the Engine Coolant temp reading for anything accurate.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Hyundai's temp gauges suck totally. They are buffered all right. On my Gen Coupe it will start to move at 140F, from 160F to 210F it is stuck in the middle and then if it goes to Hot it's around 250F.

They are not to be used for accurate measurement. You need to go to the OBDII port and get the Engine Coolant temp reading for anything accurate.
Sounds about right. :surprise:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, it's not near as bad as I assumed.

140f is about where the gauge starts moving. Around 150 it's at the 1/4 mark. 170 is when it hits just below half and it appears to run around 180.

So the gauge isn't the best but isn't terrible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
FWIW, there have been a lot of similar complaints in the Elantra forums. The consensus there seems to be that there's an actual problem with engine temperature; a lot of people are reporting that they are not getting much hot air out of the vents in the winter. Is that happening with the Accent as well? Or is it just quirky behavior with the gauges?

·
Registered
45 Posts
This looks to be the same problem as the '17 +'18 Elantras are having . See the ELANTRA forum for details , https://www.hyundai-forums.com/ad-2017-elantra/525394-engine-temp-issues.html . Here's the apparent fix , https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10152865-9999.pdf . Hopefully this will also apply to the '18 ACCENT .
That's a completely different model with a completely different engine.

Have you brought your car to the dealer and complained?
Thermostats do fail, even new ones. A thermostat that isn't closing tight could cause the issue you're having.

My 2019 does not behave like yours. I get plenty of heat and fast, even when it's near 0F outside.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's a completely different model with a completely different engine.

Have you brought your car to the dealer and complained?
Thermostats do fail, even new ones. A thermostat that isn't closing tight could cause the issue you're having.

My 2019 does not behave like yours. I get plenty of heat and fast, even when it's near 0F outside.
+1 this. I noticed on the Carfax for mine that the thermostat and coolant temp sensor were replaced when it was just short of 3k miles and before I purchased it, so this might well be the issue.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MobileSonata, are you referring to your 2019 Accent ? If so, did you purchase it used ? thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts