Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My temp gauge says my car is running hot when it's not and my fuel gauge tells me I have a fuel tank of gas when I have only about 2 or 3 gallons. Am I going to have to replace the whole instrument cluster or are the 2 gauges replaceable? Thanks

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Sounds like the same problem that plagues the same vintage Kia vehicles.
These cars seem to develop issues with the ground leads, especially the one under the battery tray.
With my 2005 Optima I added 3 additional ground leads that cured my temperature gauge falsely reading high and a strange occasional stutter at low speed.
I added one from the negative battery terminal to the back side of the engine, one from the upper intake manifold to the firewall and one from the alternator to the right shock tower.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll check the grounds and probably just clean them!!
Cleaning them was the first thing I did and that cured my problems for about 6 months.
When the issues returned I decided to add the ground leads.

Good luck with your issues, hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Buy an amazon ground kit - 15 bucks.
Solved my issue after I thought I had overheating issue...and after I changed radiator and water pump lol but hey at least those are new on my car now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey hmr1979,

Thanks for responding. Got a stupid question: Is it a specific ground kit I need to get? You wouldn't happen to remember the name or have a part number? When I went in to Amazon, it was giving body parts.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'm sure he's talking about a universal kit like this one.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Grounding-System-Cable-Universal-5-Point/dp/B018I5YOAK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523030746&sr=8-3&keywords=grounding+kit&dpID=51eSgfLs5gL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch[/ame]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I have found the ground wires near the air cleaner on the drivers side. And another set by the right front headlight. Do you know of any other locations?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I thought there was a very large one under the battery tray.
I had to completely remove the battery and unbolt the battery tray to get to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts