Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be some confusion on what the real changes are between the "old" 2010 India built cars versus the "new" 2010 1/2 Turkey-built ones. And especially if the changes really are true improvements...

Of course when discussing this we have to remember that there are hughe differences between import areas. Scandinavian buyers get a different car compared to UK etc. We have had the 6-speed gearbox in the diesel from the start,but there is not one single 3-door i20 on our roads!

Now for the "new" i20 that has arrived. The magical 120g/km for tax refund is now OK. This has its origin in changes in the engine that is not fully clear to us as well as the dealers...
In the magazine aHa! (official Hyundai mag. over here) it is said that the engine is "low friction".
This can be bad news ,as we know from other manufacturers of "low friction engines" = one piston ring less OR much lower expansion force on the original ones, lower oil pressure from the oilpump, usage of 0W-20 engine oil, rised coolant temperature etc. etc. as well as other changes that affect engine life.

One good thing thou could be the clever steering of the generator to do it´s charging during braking.
Another thing mentioned in the mag. was that the paint now is "green" wich usually means "water colour with sugar glazing " instead of the more solid paint used in the Indian factory.

Anyone with more insight in the technical changes that could fill in ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
As far as i was aware the new i20 for UK is still built in India well thats what ive been led to believe. With regards to the new C02 figures they are brought about by 3 things.....slight change in ECU....low friction oil being used.....and most of the gains come frmo a new diffuser at the front of the car that channels the air through and over the wheels a lot better which is where it was previously loosing out. Inside the changes are blue lights as opposed to red on the dash...hmmmm thats about it i think>? i will stand corrected if there are any more though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It it is interesting to note that the i20 with 1,2L engine have had the very deep front spoiler, "low friction oil" = synthetic oil as well as brake force generating via the alternator for some time WITHOUT getting below the magical 120g/km over here.

Looking at the new 2010 1/2-model the blue light is there,gearchange indicator,indicators in the outside mirrors etc. The only visible change that can have any impact on fuel consumption are 2 black rubber flaps just ahead of the rear wheels. These are said to better airflow around the rear of the car. Otherwise nothing seems to have been changed in gearing etc.
So that leaves engine changes as the only option for the sudden lowered emission below 120g/km as a result from lower internal friction... Some improvements can be had via software changes, but still the lambda value has to be held for the catalyst, so really not much to alter there.

So the question is open to what are the changes to the 1,2L engine ? My reason for discussing this topic is that I have had the "pleasure" to own and drive another car over the years where the manufacturer did a lot of "fuel saving" alterations that had catastrophic impact on the engine life and service costs.

·
Registered
413 Posts
With regard to the front spoiler, are we talking about the black rubber strip about 1.5" wide that is fastened to the plastic bumper?
If so, then that was on my new car in June, which was the last of the old models.
S.

·
Registered
59 Posts
QUOTE (eye20 @ Nov 10 2010, 02:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370461
With regard to the front spoiler, are we talking about the black rubber strip about 1.5" wide that is fastened to the plastic bumper?
If so, then that was on my new car in June, which was the last of the old models.
S.
The black strip has always been there - I think the 'new' air deflector must be underneath in front of the wheels.

Low Friction oil is a strange phrase - surely all oil is or should be low friction !
Also if it is that good why aren't all car makers using it ?

I understand that the alternator isn't running all the time and just runs when the battery needs a charge-up.
This I assume draws less power from the engine using a bit less petrol and CO2.

I prefer the red lighting to the blue so am quite happy with my 'vintage' model of six months.

Lester

·
Registered
413 Posts
QUOTE (Lester985 @ Nov 11 2010, 05:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370767
The black strip has always been there - I think the 'new' air deflector must be underneath in front of the wheels.

Low Friction oil is a strange phrase - surely all oil is or should be low friction !
Also if it is that good why aren't all car makers using it ?

I understand that the alternator isn't running all the time and just runs when the battery needs a charge-up.
This I assume draws less power from the engine using a bit less petrol and CO2.

I prefer the red lighting to the blue so am quite happy with my 'vintage' model of six months.

Lester

Ha Ha, made me laugh Lester, of course all oil is low friction. :grin: :grin:
I think perhaps they mean synthetic oil, as against the old stuff.
Thanks re the black strip, and I agree about the lighting, I too am happy to stick with my 5 month old model.
S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts