Hyundai Forums banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Dan, with an 8 mile commute, the Sonata is barely getting warmed up before you get to work/home. It takes awhile for the engine and other drive train components to reach normal operating temperature, and the energy to warm up all that metal and rubber comes from gas. Reset your FCD and then go for a 30 - 40 mile drive with steady speeds on the 45-55 mph range if possible. I have seen 76 mpg after a fillup when the car was warmed up prior to the fill.

Thanks,

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
I try to keep the throttle load (pedal pressure) at a level to engage either the ICE or the EV mode and minimize the need for both while driving.

There are many times you won't have a choice and both are required, but by playing with the pedal pressure you should be able to find the sweet spot where the car will maintain or gradually accelerate with just the one source of power.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I try to keep the throttle load (pedal pressure) at a level to engage either the ICE or the EV mode and minimize the need for both while driving.

There are many times you won't have a choice and both are required, but by playing with the pedal pressure you should be able to find the sweet spot where the car will maintain or gradually accelerate with just the one source of power.
How do you tell by sound, feel or watch this display?

·
Registered
168 Posts
How do you tell by sound, feel or watch this display?
I've learned to feel when the car cycles back and forth between ICE and EV and usually know just before the display changes.

The Canadian dash is a little different than the US dash.

[/URL][/IMG]

Our Canadian AVG Fuel Economy screen is actually an on demand load screen, (IMHO) as the lower it is, the better, the opposite of yours the US version.

I had to start the car to take these pics, this shows worst case scenario with the Canadian AVG FE, the goal of the US AVG FE one.

So I use AVG FE screen or this second one.

[/URL][/IMG]

In conjunction with these two is descending order.

[/URL][/IMG]

My first preference is the AVG screen and the energy flow screen in the Media center area due to it's size and ease of noticing change.

My 2014 is likely a 85-90% local car, maybe higher and using this method as best I can my average from day one including two Winters off the odometer is 5.8 l / 100 km, 40.3 US, 48.4 IMP. If I use corrected mileage the average is 5.67, L /100 km, 41.4 US, 49.8 IMP.

It has also generated the following 1928 deemed irrelevant :laugh:ECO points in 19,169 uncorrected dash miles.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I very rarely use the Eco Guide now. Just go by feel. My driving style has totally changed since I bought my first HSH. This has carried over to when I drive other cars too. I used to be into high performance cars and racing in the past. Well, I still am but I just don't have one. Someone rode with me for the first time a few weeks ago. She questioned me doing that in the past because of the way that I drive now. I'm no longer the guy blowing by everyone in the left lane :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes. The key to have a good acceleration is to try not come to a complete stop. I tried to find a few videos online how to use the manual transmission on sonata hybrid, but still learning it. I know one thing that snata hybrid transmission is better than other hybrids with CVT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think I agree that the car doesn't learn much about my driving style. It just depends on how I drive. Only when I am going longer than 20 mins I get to a mpg around 35 when I am driving steadily and not accelerating too much. Otherwise it stays close to 27-28 mpg in city for daily shorter (10-15mins) commute.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Yes. The key to have a good acceleration is to try not come to a complete stop. I tried to find a few videos online how to use the manual transmission on sonata hybrid, but still learning it. I know one thing that snata hybrid transmission is better than other hybrids with CVT.
00000732 narayanjaju Don't bother with the manual transmission unless you are going down a steep hill and want to save your brakes by downshifting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes. The pedal pressure is kind of critical in what or how much source of power the car will use. Some times if I accelerate too fast on my 2012 Sonata Hybrid above 40mph the Eco indicator goes almost all the way to the end of red patch. But if I just let the gas pedal go for say 2-3 seconds it falls back to good eco range and keeps up with speed too. And now I just continue to keep the pedal at that position as needed.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I think I agree that the car doesn't learn much about my driving style. It just depends on how I drive. Only when I am going longer than 20 mins I get to a mpg around 35 when I am driving steadily and not accelerating too much. Otherwise it stays close to 27-28 mpg in city for daily shorter (10-15mins) commute.
Please update your profile with your car and location. As the newer hybrids have come out their mpg has been improved.

My estimates with non aggressive driving.

2011-12. Avg 36mpg
3013-15. Avg 39mpg
2016 Avg 42mpg

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I just set my personal best record going to the dealership 67deg 10 miles from home going 45-55mph CC on and off with 55k miles. I didn't catch any red lights the whole way. ? I useually get 47-50mpg for this run with 1-2 red lights. This is how I gauge the performance of the car by setting CC after getting up to speed then resetting the avg MPG. I think the 67deg temp was the major factor in this run. Remember too that this is the first edition of the HSH and it only got better with the 2013-2015 and 2016-2017.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I just set my personal best record going to the dealership 67deg 10 miles from home going 45-55mph CC on and off with 55k miles. I didn't catch any red lights the whole way. �� I useually get 47-50mpg for this run with 1-2 red lights. This is how I gauge the performance of the car by setting CC after getting up to speed then resetting the avg MPG. I think the 67deg temp was the major factor in this run. Remember too that this is the first edition of the HSH and it only got better with the 2013-2015 and 2016-2017.
Nice, Tom! The 2011 still has it! The longer we keep it, the more dividends it pays in gas savings.

·
Registered
55 Posts
... I know one thing that s(o)nata hybrid transmission is better than other hybrids with CVT.
How do you "know" this? Start by defining "better" as there are good arguments to the contrary.

Hyundai does not have a reputation for smooth-shifting transmissions. Our 2016 SHL is far better than our past Hyundais, and I hope this holds with age. Nonetheless, it remains a shifting device with discrete changes in engine noise and torque delivery as the car accelerates.
These are absent with a well-designed CVT. There's just a steady hum, with pitch controlled by your right foot. Very different....
Next, multi-gear transmissions require the engine to operate over a range of RPM and load, such that the ICE is rarely operating in the optimum BSFC range. (and yes, this is really important)
By their nature, CVTs allow the engine to spend a large portion of its time running at peak efficiency, as measured by power output per gram of fuel. It also matches up well with an Atkinson-cycle ICE, further reducing combustion losses.​
Hyundai's transmission approach has advantages for highway driving; you get a lower gear ratio in top gear than a CVT, keeping the engine in a more favored BSFC operating range. You see it in the EPA ratings; highway mileage is higher than city, like conventional drive trains. The 2016 hybrid tranny also has a bunch of neat technology. I only hope it's reliable.

At the vehicle level, there are more highway mileage advantages. SHL Cd is claimed at 0.24, among the lowest for productions cars, and it's a fairly small car in cross-sectional area. These determine drag force, the primary speed-dependent parasitic energy loss. I am looking forward to our first long trip in our SHL.

For comparison, I drive a Ford C-Max, a TRW-based CVT design, like Toyota Prii, but with a real ICE and real battery. It's 80 lb. heavier than the SHL, and 6" taller, with 188 total HP and similar 0-60 MPH time. So far, the CVT is getting 30% better mileage, 48 vs 36, on our current tanks. It's the first fill-up in the new HSL, so too soon for any conclusions.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
59 Posts
I prefer the Hyundai hybrid tech more than I did with my previous 2010 Prius and 2013 Prius v. It shifts like a traditional transmission, the ICE doesn't whine and drone when accelerating, and I can drive in EV for longer durations, at higher speeds than any current Toyota hybrid. Lowest mpg tank came in at 38.7 and highest came in at 47.2. Last 3 tanks were 44.07, 45.92, and 46.91. I'm now getting better overall mpg's than I did in my Prius v or my 2014 Passat TDI. While I don't drive slow (typically 5 - 10 mph over limit), I've never had the need to race from the light to light/stop sign, I keep up with traffic, and most times I pull away a little faster up to about 25-30 mph when the ICE kicks in, then accelerate normally. The real key in getting higher mileage in any vehicle is knowing when to coast and with hybrids, take advantage of regen braking. I don't see why people see the need to race up to a red light. I also think drivers zone out and just drive based on what the car in front of them is doing. Just today, I observed a guy trying to go around the car in front of him because it was slowing to a stop. Because he was so focused on just that one car in front, he didn't realize he was in a road construction zone and a flagman was holding up a STOP sign.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I owned a 14 Fusion Hybrid with a CVT and liked the consistent engine speed when accelerating. I would get roughly 45-52mpg trip average on my commute to work with 42+ tank average. In the 14 SHL I picked up (fusion was totaled) I don't reset for single trip just when I fuel up, about 38.5-41.2. I have only fueled up once so far but it does seem I need to learn the difference with the traditional tranny as it seems demand a bit more attention it throttle position.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I drove a Fusion Hybrid (rental) after my 2011 HSH was totaled a few years ago. I'd easily see mileage in the mid-upper 40s without trying. Comfortable car with great mileage!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Man oh man have I got a lot to learn. got a 2016 HSH SE on Saturday and my console tells me im averaging about 24mpg. idk if I should take that at face value and accept my first hybrid im driving terrible or if the fact it says im 0% aggressive, 23% normal and 77% eco that somehow numbers are off somewhere.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yeah, those numbers do not add up. I just filled up with 2% aggressive, 38% eco and 60& normal and 43.0 MPG. But it definitely depends on the local weather. I was as low as 38 MPG in NE Ohio during the winter because the engine was running often for heat and I used remote start often in the afternoon. It's in the 50's or so now. Except for tonight when we're supposed to get 3" to 5" of snow.

Did you reset all of those counters when you picked up the car? I reset Trip A, MPG and Driving type at each fill-up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, those numbers do not add up. I just filled up with 2% aggressive, 38% eco and 60& normal and 43.0 MPG. But it definitely depends on the local weather. I was as low as 38 MPG in NE Ohio during the winter because the engine was running often for heat and I used remote start often in the afternoon. It's in the 50's or so now. Except for tonight when we're supposed to get 3" to 5" of snow.

Did you reset all of those counters when you picked up the car? I reset Trip A, MPG and Driving type at each fill-up.

yea sadly, even reset em again when I refilled had 619 mile range but im down to 530 now, only lost one "bar" of gas but ive only driven like 18 miles. I know my tire pressure is off but I cant imagine its impacting it this badly.

101 - 120 of 128 Posts