Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2014 hyundai sonata and after i start the cat i hear a tapping noise coming from the. Center of the dash..if you put your hand there you can feel it. Took off the glove box to see i could see it but couldn't. Also took off below the piece below the steering wheel but couldnt see it..looks like im going to have to take off the dash next. But im hoping maybe somebody has had this problem to give me an idea of what im looking for.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2012 turbo and it was an a/c flap that open and closed when you went from cool to heater. I called it a flap but I am sure there is a correct name for it.

Had dealer replace it and it was ok after that.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
If it's a constant "tappet valve" noise, it could be the HPFP. The cover on the engine has sound-deadening foam on it...see if the cover is fully down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies..Yea i think the actuator is messed up from the sound of it its stuck in position and the clicking is it trying to move. Gotta take off the dash to fix it i assume?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Could be the vent door, these get jammed on the housing. The noise then would originate from the actuator, which is damaged and continuously attempting to actuate door. Big job to fix, gotta pull the entire upper dash if door jammed on housing. I rectified this on one vehicle by replacing the actuator but only after removing the drive cam for the vent door. Vents then have to operated manually, but the work and expense involved is minimal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts