Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 accent with the 1.6L engine, it is an automatic and has 240,000 miles on it

Transmission was replaced @ 50k because it got stuck in fourth gear. I dont know too much about what happen there dealer took care of everything.

last week I started hear a clicking noise from the front sounded like a axle click. It is dependent on vehicle speed not engine revolutions (the faster I go the faster it gets) BUT it only does it when i am accelerating when i am not pressing the gas at any speed it does not make the noise. Unless when I am coming to a stop 10< hr it starts again and will do so until i make a complete stop.

this morning I heard a slight clunk from the the front area and the real problems started....

at 50mph the car cannot decide what gear it wants to be in and shifts from 3-4 when I let off the gas i goes to fourth when I press the gas slightly it immediately goes to third. Once it does that and I slow down to a stop the tranny will start in second gear and will not upshift or downshift.

I flushed the transmission hoping that it would take care of it.... It did not....

same problems occurred when I test drove it....

Then the car sat for three hours and I dropped the transmission oil pan and replaced the transmission fluid filter and cleaned everything up in the pan. the 5 magnets had some debris on them.

They had about 8 pieces of metal the size of a pencil tip ( same dimensions as if you were to break the tip off your pencil) and another slightly larger piece of metal that looked like it was part of something... also one single 1" wire no thicker than a strand of hair. Yes I replaced the gasket and scraped the mating surface clean on the pan

I took it out for a test drive and the problems seemed to have dissapeared for about three minutes. it went through all four gears I drove it for about five minutes and then the problems started again same as before...

I also had the check engine light come on at the same time. they are as follows.

P1529
P0713
P0734

I can do my own work (short of a full rebuild on a tranny) and would like to see others insight on the problem to see if it is a temp sensor or something? I hope that it is just a sensor because I dont want to junk the car. I have kinda grown attached to it over the years (been in the family since it was brand new and was one of the first cars i drove. this is my daily driver so it either gets fixed quick or gets dropped.

Thank you to all that reply in advance.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
1529 is a "request" from the TCM to the PCM to illuminate the MIL

0734 is "incorrect ratio of gear 4"

0713 is temp sensor circuit -- a bunch of inspects involved, may or maynot cause the 0734, may have shredded TORRINGTON® bearing with rollers in the oil pan.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
It's my understanding that Accent transmissions from the period would blow out the 4th gear bearing and hose up the trans. It can be fixed, but it's a weak point. Replacing the trans with a rebuild probably cost more than the value of the car. Getting a junk trans is dodgy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would try and check out the 0713 first, get that replaced wipe the codes and see what that solves. These transmissions are horrible for 4th gear issues, if your car is still in good shape you might consider a rebuild ($1500-2500). I'm surprised you made it over 200,000 miles!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So basically fourth gear is done.... I was hoping for another answer!

Thats ok though I guess I couldn't expect it to last forever...

The car still runs like a champ (minus the transmission failure right now)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
25 Posts
SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A BROKEN NEEDLE BEARING. YOU CAN TAKE THE COVER OFF AND REPLACE THE BEARING. YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE PAN AND CLEAN IT OUT PRETTY GOOD. SEARCH FOR MY POST WHICH HAS PHOTOS ON HOW TO COMPLETE THE JOB. PARTS ARE AROUND 45 BUCKS PLUS 4 HOURS GIVE OR TAKE ON YOUR SKILL LEVEL. YOU WILL NEED TO REMOVE THE WHEEL, SIDE COVER, BATTERY TRAY, AIR BOX, AND DRAIN THE FLUID. I USED THE HI TEMP ORANGE GASKET MAKER FROM AUTOZONE TO SEAL OF THE SIDE COVER.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts