Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

The AUX port on my sister's Hyundai i20 (First gen) is not working correctly. I think the solder joints got broken - it works only when phone is charging, which points out that the ground joint is broken.

I would like to take the AUX socket out and re-solder it, but I don't know how to disassemble the bottom panel to take out the AUX box. I tried to follow a video on youtube (Video ID: SErdwu4j1qs), but the guy has a manual vehicle, and I could not pop out the panel like he did (my sister's one is automatic).

Any ideas on how to disassemble that panel on an automatic version, so I could reach that AUX port?
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just wanted to update:

I was able to successfully remove the panel! Indeed, this IS similar to the manual version.

First, the silver circular ring that covers the gear shift perimeter has to be carefully pried and removed. I used something like a dull knife to carefully detach and remove it.
Then, I moved on to remove the panel itself (the one seen at the video). There are no screws, but there are several stubborn clips that hold that panel in place.

I pried the panel with the same tool, starting from the rear - under the handbrake, and then once a gap was formed I could continue mostly by hand. The clips are long, so pull UP (towards the roof) with moderate force. It will eventually come out.

Afterwards, I disconnected the lighter and AUX wires, and could take the panel home to work on it. I disconnected the little AUX box, opened it, took out the PCB, confirmed that indeed the soldering of the connector is broken, and re-soldered it. In fact, I re-soldered all 5 contacts of the connector, just in case (they all seemed in moderate shape). Notice that there are instructions about this in the internet - search for "Hyundai How to fix my aux input" (inability to paste links is horrible).

That's it! Now it works again, good as new.
Good luck everyone!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts