Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following problem with our 2004 Santa Fe (200k miles): When the vehicle is running, both taillights illuminate when the headlights are engaged. When the brake pedal is depressed the left brake light comes on but neither the r/h taillight or brakelight illuminate. When the pedal is released the r/h taillight comes back on. I recently changed the r/h tail/brake light bulb. Very perplexing.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Sounds like the ground to the stop/tail bulb is bad.
When the tail lights are on the bulb is getting a path to ground via the brake lamp circuit. But when you press the brake pedal that circuit becomes live and the path to ground is broken so the lamp switches off.
It's probably just a bad connection on the bulb holder. Bending the ground contact in a little will probably fix it. The ground contact touches the shiny metal body part of the bulb...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had been having issues whereby the passenger side would stay lit as brake when lights were on and the other would be normal.
I tested the pins on both sides to check the voltage during side lights and brake lights.
Turned out the passenger side was wired wrong so swapped the pins and problem solved...
... Until last weekend had to change the drivers side bulb and after changing it the same happened the drivers side stayed lit as brake when lights were on and passenger side worked correctly, swapped the pins and both work fine now.
Not sure if something like this may relate to your issue but I found it strange how they work and then don't after changing a bulb.
BTW I work with 12/24v circuits everyday for my job and this was not a ground issue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To Autospark: I pulled the bulb, bent the ground contact in about 1/16 in and it works flawlessly now.
Many thanks - happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I had been having issues whereby the passenger side would stay lit as brake when lights were on and the other would be normal.
I tested the pins on both sides to check the voltage during side lights and brake lights.
Turned out the passenger side was wired wrong so swapped the pins and problem solved...
... Until last weekend had to change the drivers side bulb and after changing it the same happened the drivers side stayed lit as brake when lights were on and passenger side worked correctly, swapped the pins and both work fine now.
Not sure if something like this may relate to your issue but I found it strange how they work and then don't after changing a bulb.
BTW I work with 12/24v circuits everyday for my job and this was not a ground issue.
Yeah, that sounds like the wrong bulb. Cause the lights were working before.
Then the bulb goes out and you replace the bulb.
So, now the bulb doesn't function correctly.
You switch the pins and it works.
Believe the replacement bulbs were not the exact replacement.
Definitely not a ground issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Following problem with our 2004 Santa Fe (200k miles): When the vehicle is running, both taillights illuminate when the headlights are engaged. When the brake pedal is depressed the left brake light comes on but neither the r/h taillight or brakelight illuminate. When the pedal is released the r/h taillight comes back on. I recently changed the r/h tail/brake light bulb. Very perplexing.
Hi dont want to sound cheeky but did you use the correct offset pin bul,b as on these the pins are not exactly parallel, just slightly offset if you used a normal parallel pin bulb it might be shorting out!;

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like the wrong bulb. Cause the lights were working before.
Then the bulb goes out and you replace the bulb.
So, now the bulb doesn't function correctly.
You switch the pins and it works.
Believe the replacement bulbs were not the exact replacement.
Definitely not a ground issue.
They are exactly the same bulbs, they only fit in the holder one way

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
They are exactly the same bulbs, they only fit in the holder one way
There are bulbs that are wired differently but fit in the same holder.
The only way to tell is with part numbers.
But, if you have a better explanation of why the pins needed to be reverse then I am listening.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts